QFF award online cancellation: how long to get points back?

twiningb

Solutions
I'm currently on-hold with QFF to see if they can grab some award seats currently available, and then cancel an existing Classic Reward booking and apply the miles to the new one. It's been quite some time in the queue.

If I cancel online, how long would it take to get the miles back? Is it instantaneous or would I have to wait hours/days/weeks and/or call someone?

twiningb

Solutions
I eventually got through (after ~2h on-hold), to an agent who was very friendly and accommodating and processed it all as a change, despite different origin and destination. It was less painful than I had feared.

Just waiting to receive the confirmation now.

sudoer

Established Member
Solutions
processed it all as a change, despite different origin and destination

This is definitely the best way to do it as the taxes you've already paid will offset taxes for the new journey, so you won't be out of pocket for months.

With regards to how long the refunds take - it's a complete coughshoot. I cancelled two classic award PNRs on the same phone call in early August, got the points back for one booking in a few days but the other has yet to arrive almost a month later.

The rep who cancelled the PNRs quoted 5-6 weeks for points and 8-10 weeks for taxes.

Vinomofo is the best wine deals site on the planet. Good wines, real people and epic deals, without all the bowties and bs.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Hvr

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
I cancelled 2 award flights on line and the points are back in my account within 2 days. May have been quicker, I didn't check until I saw this thread.

Mattg

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
I recently cancelled one award booking online and another over the phone, both on the same day.

For the booking I cancelled online, I received the points back after a few days. For the booking I cancelled over the phone, it took around a month to get the points back.

The taxes for both bookings were refunded on the same day. Interestingly, I also received a refund of the credit card fee for the booking cancelled over the phone, but not for the online cancellation.

twiningb

Solutions
OK. Now that the agent has processed the change last night, the itinerary disappeared from my account and then reappeared with the same PNR and the new flights. But I don't think it's been ticketed yet, since I didn't get an email and the additional points haven't been collected.

Anyone got any insight into how long an award change is likely to take to ticket? I just want to be confident it's locked-in.

Daver6

Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
I recently cancelled one award booking online and another over the phone, both on the same day.

For the booking I cancelled online, I received the points back after a few days. For the booking I cancelled over the phone, it took around a month to get the points back.

The taxes for both bookings were refunded on the same day. Interestingly, I also received a refund of the credit card fee for the booking cancelled over the phone, but not for the online cancellation.

I cancelled two bookings online, one immediately after the other. I only received the credit card fee refund on one. I had to follow up with a phone call about the other. It came through about a week after the call.

Pushka

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
OK. Now that the agent has processed the change last night, the itinerary disappeared from my account and then reappeared with the same PNR and the new flights. But I don't think it's been ticketed yet, since I didn't get an email and the additional points haven't been collected.

Anyone got any insight into how long an award change is likely to take to ticket? I just want to be confident it's locked-in.
Especially if it isn't on a Qantas plane then it needs to be ticketed asap. Sorry, call them.

ramamba

7.5 weeks for me since cancelling over the phone and neither points nor taxes refunded yet.

waiting a few more days for the magic 8 week number (is it still 8? hope it hasn't blown out to 10-12 weeks) and will be chasing it up to try and make it all in 1 phone call (fingers crossed)

Jack_OC

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
My experience has varied massively, based on 6 different bookings so far. In most cases points have come back quickly, in one case within hours, in most within 2 weeks. In all cases except 1, the cash has taken longer - up to 12 weeks. The 1 exception is ongoing now - I received the cash refund last week (2.5 weeks after cancelling), but still no points.

I have also had two cases where I only got points back for 1 person on a 4 person booking, but all of the cash. After emailing QF I got the rest of the points. Overall, I get the impression that there is a lot of manual intervention involved, hence the inconsistency.

One other observation - the time when I got points back within hours was a booking solely on QF metal. All of the others involved flights operated by other airlines. Not sure if that's just a coincidence.

twiningb

Solutions
Especially if it isn't on a Qantas plane then it needs to be ticketed asap. Sorry, call them.
Thanks. I called and the guy said everything was fine and I should wait another day or two. Then of course I asked about something else in my wife's account and it...let's say...reduced my confidence in his answers. So I guess I'll call again if not ticketed soon.
Post automatically merged:

It is on QF metal, though.

twiningb

Solutions
And...another call to a more competent phone agent got it ticketed! He put me on hold a couple of times over about 20min, but I think he actually pushed the ticketing team to get it done. So thanks to that guy, as well as the lovely agent who set the reservation up the other night.

renatts

And...another call to a more competent phone agent got it ticketed! He put me on hold a couple of times over about 20min, but I think he actually pushed the ticketing team to get it done. So thanks to that guy, as well as the lovely agent who set the reservation up the other night.
Glad to hear it's all sorted for you.

I've changed my booking from May 2020 close to 10 times now, every time has been a completely different route into completely different destinations, on completely different dates (one world award).
The reason I've been changing it instead of cancelling it is because I booked under the old Qantas award chart in 2019 just prior to the change - 280k points for a business class one world award compared to the current chart at 318k. I originally booked a one way from BNE to AMS in J just to make sure I got in before the redemption rates increased - the 6000pt per pax to add flights was peanuts compared to the increase in redemption cost.

As long as you keep 'changing' the booking instead of cancelling you get to keep the award chart rates you booked under, so keep this in mind if things go pear shaped, and Qantas 'optimise' the redemption rates again.

It's been pretty standard to take a few business days to be ticketed every single time I've changed it, so you must have got an absolute angel of a phone agent.

ramamba

As long as you keep 'changing' the booking instead of cancelling you get to keep the award chart rates you booked under, so keep this in mind if things go pear shaped, and Qantas 'optimise' the redemption rates again.

Didn't work for us trying to change the EK/QF award booked prior to EK awards "enhancement" from QFF to partner award table, was advised on the phone (and on AFF prior) that the points difference would be charged.

That and lack of EK F availability saw us having to unfortunately cancel.