Deals from ozfflyer | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Deals from ozfflyer

ozfflyer

Established Member
just got an email from a tour operator, saying they now had fares from Brisbane, Sydney & Melbourne to LAX or San Fran return, departing in early January 2020 (or end of December 2019), coming home up to end of January 2020 from only $1599 per adult, which sounds very cheap.

Is it just me, or has everyones inbox's been slammed with many many more travel deals than previously ?

I seem to get about a dozen or more a day, every day lately.

ozfflyer

Established Member
for some reason, many online search engines don't have any flights loaded beyond mid January right now, but quite a few airlines, the switched on ones, have flights loaded until start of February.

I phoned tour operator yesterday & asked about 2 sets of dates, departing boxing day & coming home about 4 weeks later & shorter trip, departing December 31 or first few days of January & coming home around January 15 to 18.

They said they could do the first set of dates or departing December 31, but not first few days of January, for $1599 right now & $1499, if booked $500 for each adult worth of hotels, car rental etc.

They wanted all names & date of birth & to choose one set of dates, as they said they'd make a booking, which would be held in reservation system for a couple of days, but to guarantee the price, would have to pay same day.

They said, there are not a huge number of seats at these prices & availability could change fast, so a price without a booking, didn't mean much. They went onto say, there was no cost to us, if booking lapsed.

Everything included except if paying by credit card, had to pay the merchant fee.

ozfflyer

Established Member
Last edited:

ozfflyer

Established Member
new lowest fare east coast OZ to LAX/SFO being advertised this am. Says on sale to 29 March. For departures between July & September school holidays.

If airlines are having to go this low, then how bad is the economy really ?

ozfflyer

Established Member
unfortunately it's air nz, but other airlines will surely follow, especially Fiji Airways who are a much better airline IMO.
put in a few dates & seems to be quite a few seats at that price. Sign of the times I guess.

ozfflyer

Established Member
I think the price of airfares to USA is in direct proportion to the amount of money you have to pay to buy a US Dollar.
not really.

The AUD$ to USD$ rate was exactly the same on 9 SEP 2018 as is now.

XE: AUD / USD Currency Chart. Australian Dollar to US Dollar Rates

Think airlines can see that disposible spendingh is plummeting & fear the result of the federal election in May. Business confidence is also plummeting.

Some airline can cut services, which might be next, eg. BNE/LAX with Qantas 10/week, can be cut to daily & Air NZ, AKL/LAX can be cut from 2-3 days nonstops daily to daily plus AKL/RAR/LAX

DL & VA codeshare BNE, SYD, MEL/LAX so something might give SYD/LAX where both currently doing daily & yet BNE & MEL/LAX aren't daily.

Many holidays in USA are actually cheaper in AUD$ than they were when AUD$ was stronger, in other words, places that get lots of Australians, adjust their prices to suit the exchange rate.

Last edited:

clipped_wings

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Many holidays in USA are actually cheaper in AUD$ than they were when AUD$ was stronger, in other words, places that get lots of Australians, adjust their prices to suit the exchange rate.
I was being facetious, but appreciate your intrepid reply.

I can't agree with the above quote though. We have been spending 3-4 weeks all across the States every year since 2008 and I am yet to see a US itinerary that aligns itself to our fluctuating exchange rate.

The Australian Government is rubbing its hands together in glee with the free-fall of the AUD. If they had their way, it would be low 60's. And at that point - a voluntary holiday in the States becomes cost-prohibitive. Unless they coax us with a cheap airfare of course.............

ozfflyer

Established Member
I was being facetious, but appreciate your intrepid reply.

I can't agree with the above quote though. We have been spending 3-4 weeks all across the States every year since 2008 and I am yet to see a US itinerary that aligns itself to our fluctuating exchange rate.

The Australian Government is rubbing its hands together in glee with the free-fall of the AUD. If they had their way, it would be low 60's. And at that point - a voluntary holiday in the States becomes cost-prohibitive. Unless they coax us with a cheap airfare of course.............
what freefall. The AUD$ is fairly stable against the USD$.

January is Australians month at many ski resorts in USA & many adjust their pricing to suit. They don't want the resort to not fill up with Australians, as from around 2 or 3 January, Americans go back to work, college, school & if it wasn't for Australians/Kiwis there would be very few people at some ski resorts in January, except on weekends.

BTW-have been spending 3 to 4 weeks every year in North American since 1985.

cjd600

Established Member
what freefall. The AUD$ is fairly stable against the USD$.

January is Australians month at many ski resorts in USA & many adjust their pricing to suit. They don't want the resort to not fill up with Australians, as from around 2 or 3 January, Americans go back to work, college, school & if it wasn't for Australians/Kiwis there would be very few people at some ski resorts in January, except on weekends.

BTW-have been spending 3 to 4 weeks every year in North American since 1985.
Any chance you'll share where this is advertised?

clipped_wings

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Are you suggesting the AUD hasn't tracked southbound for the lowest point in ages over the last few years? It may hold steady at 70 today, but that's not how I would describe it's tangent over the last 12 months.

You also omitted the word ski resort - not my area of expertise, so we'll have to agree to disagree. Our next trip is January 2020. I checked every day for January 2019 to gauge the prices. January fares to the States seem to be exempt from many of these offers, but I await the next Virgin sale with anticipation. I sure hope that you are right and the fares are reasonable and the dollar holds steady. I've felt the sting of 45c in the dollar before. It's not a good feeling.

Last edited:

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rewardsbonanza