Upgrades to Business Class

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by Robert, Jun 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert

Robert Junior Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I have been trying to upgrade an economy ticket (Sydney-London) to Business Class with my points. It seems as though there are no upgrade tickets available at all.
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

Does anyone have any idea how this can be best done. Maybe there are other cities which are earsier than London?

2. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Upgrade Sydney - London

Robert,
    There are only a certain number of upgrade seats in business class on any flight (class is U in Qantas speak). This will generally mean tht others have beaten you to them. That is not to say that as time gets closer, that Qantas don't release additional seats, but with heavy passenger loads at present, maybe unlikely.
    Depending on your status, Silver, Gold and Platinum members can waitlist. Bronze unfortunately can't.

Best of luck.
    Lindsay

3. Jezz

Jezz Newbie

Jun 23, 2002
    Robert,
    In my experience, I have found that the 'peak hour' (QF17 & QF5) services to Singapore - those that leave Sydney late afternoon and arriving Singapore around 9.30PM are usually "full" - that is, no upgrade seats available. Try instead those flights that are not peak - like the QF31 (which unfortunately arrives SIN around 4AM) or those that go via Denpasar (QF29) or Jakarta (QF41). The trick is that these flights are not daily (ie will not fly on to Singapore from DPS or CGK). Or try those flights that leave early in the day, which business bodies will not use (we tried as hard as we could to avoid those flights whenever we go north for work). I was on a wait list for 2 months and there was no upgrade on the QF17 (SYD/SIN/CDG).
    I hope you get what you want. Good luck!

4. fiscal

fiscal Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Business Class Upgrades

Hi Robert,

Qantas told me that most of the London seats are taken up in the first day or two of becoming available - 365 days away.

So business class upgrades are really only for those bods that can make arrangements that far in advance. The rest of us will just have to dip out I'm afraid, as I was alos told that it is rare for additional seats in this class to be made available.

You have a "better" chance by redeeming a business class seat.

I recently flew to Singapore and was able to be reasonably flexible with dates, but I could not redeem any upgrade seats within a four week period for a satisfactory return date.

Luckily Singapore is only 5 hours away from Perth, so Economy was bearable <g> although there was a noticable drop in service since the last time I flew qantas internationaly.

5. Robert

Robert Junior Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Thanks to all those who responded. I did manage to get an upgrade on a flight to LA. Maybe its a September 11th thing, but there seems to be some availability on Qantas flights to LA.

6. shillard

shillard Guest

Re: Business Class Upgrades

Whoever told you that fed you a line of bull.

I just checked with QF, and there's substantial availability. Mind you, award seat/ upgrade availability also depends on your status - the higher your status, the more likely you are to secure an award, particularly during peak times or in J/ F class.

7. icemann

icemann Member

Jan 2, 2003
    French's Forest, NSW
    Question

What about - instead of flying to London - SYD - LHR :-

Fly to Manchester and take the shuttle ? (1,000 QFF points)

Fly into a different hub, e.g. Paris, Hamburg, and then 'most' of the trip has been made in comfort. Plus, it might be less costly for an upgrade (e.g. to a sector 4 ticket, not a sector 5 ticket as SYD-LHR is), since Paris / Hamburg maybe are a little bit outside (not checked the zone boundaries) ?

There's three airports in London - Gatwick, Stansted and Heathrow - does Qantas / BA operate anything to these other two ? Personally, I'd fly into Manchester if I had the choice, it's not as busy as Heathrow.

8. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Question

Icemann, actually there are another two London-based airports - London City and Luton.

Of course, if you are willing to add another hour flying time as well as the driving back into London...go for it. Not me...

9. thadocta

thadocta Active Member

Firstly, upgrades have to be on QF flight numbers on QF metal. So a BA metal with a QF flight number just won't work (although I *did* manage to force them to do it when I was confirmed upgraded on QF31 in 2/02 from SIN to LHR, and they handed the flight over to BA for about 3 months, and I told them I had made arrangements based on the timing of this flight - but I think that was a one-off).

Secondly, based on the above, the only UK airport which ahs QF metal using QF flight numbers is LHR. So any recommendation to check MAN, or LCY, or LGW, or LUT, or LST, is wrong.

My advice is to waitlist for the upgrade.

How flexible is your ticket and travel dates?

Does your ticket allow you to change the dates of travel without charge? If so, look for a day or two either side of your preferred date. Also, don't forget to look at QF31/32. The timings are not the best - particularly on QF32, where they are absolutely APPALLING - but J on QF32 beats Y on QF2 any day.

Lastly, check as to how much it will cost to have your ticket reissued to read - as an example - SYD QF X/SIN QF LHR or SYD QF X/BKK QF LHR.

This means that there will be two coupons for the SYD-LHR flights, with the X/ meaning that no stopover is allowed (thus meaning that you bypass any stopover restrictions).

Quite often, you will be able to get an upgrade on one flight for SYD-SIN and on another flight for SIN-LHR. And if you confirm them both at the one time, then it will cost the same points as if it was a through flight.

Hope this helps.

Dave