New Berlin airports shambolic construction | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

New Berlin airports shambolic construction

badseed

I had a flight booked to arrive there for late 2012! BA990 LHR to BER. It was switched back to TXL around 2 months prior, so wasn't exactly a surprise ;-) Have flown in and out of Tegel many times subsequently, and will likely get through there at least once more!

Cossie

Established Member
I had a flight booked to arrive there for late 2012! BA990 LHR to BER. It was switched back to TXL around 2 months prior, so wasn't exactly a surprise ;-) Have flown in and out of Tegel many times subsequently, and will likely get through there at least once more!
Flew into Tegel 2 times in the last couple of weeks, and once out, and once out of Schönefeld. Much prefer Schönefeld, Tegel is way past it's use by date.

boomy

Flew into Tegel 2 times in the last couple of weeks, and once out, and once out of Schönefeld. Much prefer Schönefeld, Tegel is way past it's use by date.
I was thinking exactly the opposite. Tegel was bearable but Schonefeld is absolutely miserable with long queues, limited seating options and one very bad PP lounge.

Cossie

Established Member
I was thinking exactly the opposite. Tegel was bearable but Schonefeld is absolutely miserable with long queues, limited seating options and one very bad PP lounge.

Actually the easyjet check in and arrival at Tegel isn't too bad as a quick fix. I would dearly have loved to have flown in and out of Tempelhof.

Last edited:

Himeno

Established Member
The only Berlin airport I've used was an arrival at TXL in 2006 during my first round the world trip (Qantas SIN-FRA, AB FRA-TXL, train out of Berlin to the Netherlands a few days later).

Once they worked out the extent of the problems with the BER terminal, they should have just knocked it down and started over. Likely would have been quicker and cheaper then this years long comedy of trying to fix problems only to find more problems.

Scarlett

Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
The sorry saga really just reinforces the German prioritisation of quality: in many places around the world the airport would have just been opened by a demanding politician, hang the problems. They would have tried to solve them incrementally whilst operating probably without a care that fire systems didn't work properly or that elements might be structurally unsound... Maybe that's just a larger appetite for risk in those 'other' countries. Or the convenient presence of appropriate fall guy(s) if the risk did manifest itself and something bad did happen.

OZDUCK

Established Member
Flights
My Map
The sorry saga really just reinforces the German prioritisation of quality: in many places around the world the airport would have just been opened by a demanding politician, hang the problems. They would have tried to solve them incrementally whilst operating probably without a care that fire systems didn't work properly or that elements might be structurally unsound... Maybe that's just a larger appetite for risk in those 'other' countries. Or the convenient presence of appropriate fall guy(s) if the risk did manifest itself and something bad did happen.
I have read, in several places, that Germany is very, very cautious about Airport Terminal fire safety because of the Dusseldorf Terminal fire in 1996 which killed 17 people. The fire precautions at the terminal were found to have been very poorly organised - if at all. So once the problems with the fire safety at the new Berlin Terminal were discovered there was no way it would be allowed to operate without upgrades.

Flights
My Map
Maybe light at the end of the (long, long) tunnel

I would be skeptical...

I just finished listening to the podcast series mentioned in the BBC article and found it really interesting and informative. I loved the part where they discovered there was an escalator with a passport control booth right at the end.

Peter D

I would be skeptical...

I just finished listening to the podcast series mentioned in the BBC article and found it really interesting and informative. I loved the part where they discovered there was an escalator with a passport control booth right at the end.
That’s taking the usual a pile up of passengers at passport control a bit too literally.

Flights
My Map
I was in Berlin last week and managed to get my hands on the BER airport board game.

FD5E0AE5-5253-4333-91E8-7FD61C4FAD6C.jpeg

Here are the contents of the box:

BA990877-7EE5-4CDA-B0B5-8D3C67CF144B.jpeg
The lady in the shop said she had already played it and that it’s a hilarious game. We also joked about the new opening date that was announced last week. Her opinion - no way it will happen!

The basic goal of the game is to burn as many taxpayer dollars as possible during the construction of the 8 airport components (2 runways, 3 terminals, 1 carpark, 1 apron and 1 fire department). Along the way you pick up cards with instructions like “1063 trees need to be immediately chopped down and then re-planted! Burn €10 million”, or “the escalators are too short and passengers have to schlep their suitcases up 3 extra steps. Build mobile ramps for particularly heavy suitcases and burn €20 million.”

Berlin

Established Member
Maybe light at the end of the (long, long) tunnel

As an ex-local: I will only believe it once I see it. Plus, I like good old Tegel despite all its downfalls. Its proximity to the city is something even the newest fanciest airport in Schonefeld will never make up for. And that's if we got a new fancy one- realistically, we can rather expect an airport that looks like from the early 2000s. Because it is :p

AFF on Air Podcast

• Life as a Road Warrior – AIR028
    Sat, 25 Jan 2020 08:36:07 AEDT
      Ever wondered what it's like to be a road warrior, flying from Melbourne to Sydney every week or internationally multiple times each month? On this episode, AFF member "Sp ...
  • Indian Pacific & Other Epic Train Journeys – AIR027
    Sat, 11 Jan 2020 02:31:00 AEDT
      In this episode, we take a brief detour from the aviation discussion to talk about train travel! There's something nice - perhaps even romantic - about long-distance train ...
  • Status Runs – AIR026
    Sat, 14 Dec 2019 07:15:21 AEDT
      If you're a little bit short of the next airline status tier, a status run can get you over the line. In this episode, learn about the best status runs with Virgin Austral ...
  • British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KateV