Deals from ozfflyer

dajop

Enthusiast
Solutions
Can we please keep political commentary to the playground? There are various threads there for discussion of Folau, unions etc. I vehemently defend such threads in the playground in the face of criticism that they shouldn’t be on AFF at all, but 100% sure they do not belong in the “travel news” section.

Franky

Established Member
you don't have to tip. Sometimes I will give 10% on the pretax amount or $1 tops per drink. Many yanks no longer tip at all. Go there many times a year & have seen many not tipping, but as soon as workers here a foreign accent they can try it on.

I suggest you give me $50 . Do you want my bank account details ?
I didn't say we paid the suggested tip, we chose our own amount in all of our transactions. You can suggest all you like - I like your choice but not your chances.

ozfflyer

Established Member
ok found the email friends sent me about their costs in Colorado.

$37 us /day /adult for lifts with 4 kids free (94% off resort ticket window price) that's only $54 au.

$162 u.s /night, that's only $237 au/night & in January.

If Aussie dollar drops, resorts drop their prices in u.s. dollars, cos so many australians go there & they can't afford to lose them. There's so much competition in north america, but still cheaper to ski usa than canda, despite exchange rates.

ozfflyer

Established Member

Our dollar will surely improve tomorrow, which will effect the availability of ff seats.

Last edited by a moderator:

DC3

Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
U.S.A. is expensive. Parity was good. Unfortunately long gone.

Edit: Also, tipping is rife. It’s now the culture, like it or loathe it, but then again, we have a whole thread on that.

ozfflyer

Established Member
May be worth reporting.
sorry but advise what & I will edit if political.

You do realise that fortunes of many airlines, will be greatly effected by last night.

nope. It's much cheaper now than when at parity, to ski in usa. Many places, that get many aussies adjust their prices to suit. It's called yield management.

I know this may be a technical point, but it has been mentioned above before about the conditions to call in the 'R' word, and we're not there yet. I can see enough in my own surroundings to know that things are flat, but that doesn't count.
ok

1. retail is stuffed (online having some impact)

2. real estate, including building, developing is stuffed

3. hospitality is stuffed, or at least restaurants, maybe not burger joints or take away

4. many airlines inc emirates are posting massively reduced profits

Many under 40 years old, have never seen a recession & suspect many on this forum are under 40.

It's going to get very ugly(didn't matter who won last night) The only thing that changes, is that confidence will go up a bit IMO.

sorry but advise what & I will edit if political

Edit: Also, tipping is rife. It’s now the culture, like it or loathe it, but then again, we have a whole thread on that.
tipping is only for those who want to tip. Many australians are finding it tough & so many do a budget to see if they can go o/s. The last thing they are going to do is tip, when you don't have to.

if you've ever skied anywhere, you'll realise how incredibly cheap it is to ski in USA right now, meaning for next season. These airfares are cheap & there are so many of them. Yes they got down to $668 few eeks back, which was flying air nz, if you're game, OOL/SFO return, but don't think that was u.s. ski season. Fiji air did $750 few eeks back. Suggest after election result they might try to push up their loss leaders by $100 or $200 & see if they sell.

Last edited:

jase05

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
ok

1. retail is stuffed (online having some impact)

2. real estate, including building, developing is stuffed

3. hospitality is stuffed, or at least restaurants, maybe not burger joints or take away

4. many airlines inc emirates are posting massively reduced profits

Many under 40 years old, have never seen a recession & suspect many on this forum are under 40.

It's going to get very ugly(didn't matter who won last night) The only thing that changes, is that confidence will go up a bit IMO.
Several family members in the building industry tell me the opposite. They can’t keep up with the work on the horizon

ozfflyer

Established Member
Several family members in the building industry tell me the opposite. They can’t keep up with the work on the horizon
work on the horizon ? Signed contracts or ?

Good luck to them if they can get it. Building costs are certainly on their way down as many traddies are desperate for work.

Anyway, the $838 fare have been extended for purchase til end of May.

travel dates
Australia to USA: 10May19-10Dec19, 01Feb20- 30Apr20

with blackout dates
Sydney, Melbourne to Los Angeles or San Francisco
Outbound: 25Jun19-11Aug19, 23Sep19-06Oct19, 04Apr20-19Apr20
Inbound: 10Jun19, 29Jul19, 04Oct19-18Oct19, 18Apr20-30pr20

Brisbane, Melbourne to Los Angeles or San Francisco
Outbound: 24Jun19-11Aug19, 15Sep19-29Sep19, 01Apr20- 12Apr20
Inbound: 10Jun19, 23Jul19, 29Sep19-13Oct19, 12Apr20-23Apr20

jase05

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
work on the horizon ? Signed contracts or ?

Good luck to them if they can get it. Building costs are certainly on their way down as many traddies are desperate for work.
Contracts signed and are work coming out of their eyeballs. Can’t get enough tradies in Adelaide to keep up with the work currently

Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

support

Established Member
Administrator
Solutions
Please keep discussion on topic of the Fiji Airways flights to LAX/SFO as the thread was originally intended.

ozfflyer

Established Member
the $750 return fares to LAX for many dates including February & March, ended last night. Now you'll have to pay $778 available from Flight Centre. The email didn't say when this new deal modified deal ends, just to contact them now (I have no connection whatsoever to FC).

From SYD to LAX from 1 January, you can fly direct on brand new A359, 6 days a week. 1 day a week, will be on A359/330.

Just realised minor error above, the deal is with Aunty Betty by Flight Centre, but a quick look online shows many other travel agents are doing the same for under $800 & there's probably some variation in changes if want to pay by credit card.

Had a quick look at availability of this fare in February & every date combination I looked at had at least 9 seats at this price.

ozfflyer

Established Member
just read this comment on facebook & thought it worth discussing.

I think all Fiji Airways flights to Fiji are codeshared with Qantas & think all Fiji/USA flights are codeshared with Qantas, American Airlines, Air NZ & others.

+ from 1jan onwards lots more seats everyday to LAX from SYD, up to 61 extra.

>>>

Airfare madness

Keep getting emails from airlines/travel agencies saying return to Fiji from only $650, yet for only roughly $100 more, you can fly to USA return via Fiji & can stopover in Fiji.

So for an extra 20 hours flying on brand new A350 jets, you only pay $100, plus get 2 meals & some free alcoholic drinks.

Obviously the fares to LAX are loss leaders & probably not many of them, although we now have a loose “group”, going to Colorado, not all on same flights, but spread over a couple of different days in each direction.

Some paid $750 return & some paid $777 return a few weeks later.

Presume at $650 return to Fiji airlines are making a profit, but at $750 return, surely a loss. Guess they are better off making a $400 loss on those few seats, that might not otherwise fill, than a $800 loss if those seats remain empty.

>>>

don't know much about fares to Fiji. From SYD is $650 return a good fare ? Is Virgin any cheaper ? Presume Jetstar works out cheaper, on the limited days they fly.

ozfflyer

Established Member
just got an email from travel agent to say $699 return departing from January 17.

Says limited to 200 seats only, but otherwise very vague.

Is this a new lowest fare to LAX return ?

Have to phone agent & tried & can't get through.

Will post more info, when get through to them.

OK, finally got through. They said they send out something like 5,000 emails & more to follow. Sounds like they have a lot more than 200 seats.

The catch, which I didn't see in the initial email, as was in super fine print, was have to spend $300 minimum per person in total, on ground content or travel insurance.

The ground content can be almost anything on expedia or their special rates better than expedia, on car rental, certain hotels in LA, Disneyland, Vegas, San Fran or in any major ski resort.

As interested in skiing, asked about this & they gave an example of group of 6 people (4 being school aged kids)

the $1800 could be spent at Copper Mt Colorado ski resort

in a 3 star apartment close to lifts for 10 nights in Jan or Feb with 7 out of 10 days lifts for $3057, so an additional $1257 would need to be paid.

Guess it's not a bad deal, as most people would at least need some accommodation somewhere.

Last edited:

cinogirl

just got an email from travel agent to say $699 return departing from January 17.

Says limited to 200 seats only, but otherwise very vague.

Is this a new lowest fare to LAX return ?

Have to phone agent & tried & can't get through.

Will post more info, when get through to them.

OK, finally got through. They said they send out something like 5,000 emails & more to follow. Sounds like they have a lot more than 200 seats.

The catch, which I didn't see in the initial email, as was in super fine print, was have to spend $300 minimum per person in total, on ground content or travel insurance.

The ground content can be almost anything on expedia or their special rates better than expedia, on car rental, certain hotels in LA, Disneyland, Vegas, San Fran or in any major ski resort.

As interested in skiing, asked about this & they gave an example of group of 6 people (4 being school aged kids)

the $1800 could be spent at Copper Mt Colorado ski resort

in a 3 star apartment close to lifts for 10 nights in Jan or Feb with 7 out of 10 days lifts for $3057, so an additional $1257 would need to be paid.

Guess it's not a bad deal, as most people would at least need some accommodation somewhere.
Sounds like a good deal, where can I find it? Thanks.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast