When Peru suddenly went into lockdown in March, hundreds of Australians were stranded all over the country, unaware of what was going on or how many others were in the same situation. Within days, Gus Higgins created the “Aussies in Peru” Facebook group which has been credited with connecting most of those Australians and aiding the work of repatriation activities.
In this episode, Gus Higgins tells Matt about his experience and returning home to Australia while mandatory hotel quarantine is in place.
Also in this episode, find out what it’s flying on Air Koryo and travelling to North Korea – a country that had strict rules and border controls well before COVID-19 made them cool. And Matt summarises the current situation with Virgin Australia as it enters voluntary administration.
- 1:28 – Virgin Australia in voluntary administration
- 4:54 – Fortnightly news round-up
- 14:43 – Interview with Gus Higgins: Aussies in Peru Facebook group
- 25:57 – Interview with Gus Higgins: Flying back to Australia with hotel quarantine on arrival
- 36:14 – Interview with Gus Higgins (continued): Touring North Korea, including a flight on Air Koryo
- AFF on Air Discussion thread – a dedicated AFF thread to discuss the podcast and ask questions
- Frequent Flyer’s Guide to Virgin Australia in Voluntary Administration
- An Air Koryo Business Class Review
Frequent Flyer Gazette articles referenced in the fortnightly news round-up:
- Virgin Australia Creditors Owed $6.8 Billion
- What to Expect on Domestic Flights during COVID-19
- Virgin Australia to Extend Lounge Memberships by Six Months
- Which International Airlines Still Fly to Australia in May 2020?
- LATAM Airlines Has Left Oneworld
- Flight Centre Caps Refund Cancellation Fees
- Amex Platinum Cardholders Get Double Points until July
- Qantas Enhances Two-Factor Account Verification
- Struggling Hotels Offer “Work from Hotel” Packages