Singapore Airlines offers a special “Star Alliance Round The World Award” that allows you to circle the globe on Star Alliance carriers. This is a great way to spend your KrisFlyer miles. If you don’t yet have any KrisFlyer miles, you can transfer points across from most Australian credit card rewards programs. You can also transfer your Virgin Australia Velocity points to KrisFlyer!
You can redeem your KrisFlyer miles to fly around the world in Economy, Business or First class. Business class offers particularly good value! Prices are as follows:
- Economy: 180,000 Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles + taxes
- Business: 240,000 Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles + taxes
- First: 360,000 Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles + taxes
Singapore Airlines and around two dozen other Star Alliance airlines can be used for this award, including Thai Airways, Air Canada, United Airlines, South African Airways and Turkish Airlines. However, each flight used does need to have award space available in the desired class of travel.
There are a few routing rules to be aware of:
- Maximum 16 total flight segments
- Maximum 7 stopovers
- Maximum 2 stopovers in any single country
- Surface sectors are permitted, but count as stopovers
- Maximum 35,000 miles total distance travelled
- If your itinerary includes more than one class of travel, the entire booking will be priced according to the higher cabin
- You must start and end the journey in the same country
- Travel must be in a continuous eastbound or westbound direction. You must cross both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans once (only).
Almost any itinerary is possible, provided it meets the above criteria and flights are available. As an example, here’s one possible routing…
Sample itinerary: Departing Melbourne with stopovers in Singapore, Addis Ababa, Istanbul, Copenhagen, London, Chicago & Vancouver
To book a Star Alliance Round The World Award using KrisFlyer miles, you would need to call Singapore Airlines on 02 8228 1188 (from within Australia). If possible, it’s a good idea to do some research and check for award seat availability on the flights you wish to book before calling.
It is possible to check whether you have a valid routing (i.e. without backtracking) before calling KrisFlyer. Plug your itinerary into the (paid) Star Alliance round-the-world online booking tool. If your itinerary gets a green light and appears to be valid, your booking does not have backtracking and should therefore be a valid routing if all other conditions are met. (Note that the availability of paid flights is very different to award availability, and you cannot use the Star Alliance website to make your award booking. In the context of the KrisFlyer round-the-world award, this tool is purely for checking that your itinerary has no backtracking.)
- Currency: Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles
- Airline: All Star Alliance airlines
- Route: Around the world
- Class of travel: Economy, Business or First class
- Cost: 180,000 – 360,000 KrisFlyer miles + taxes, depending on the class of travel
- Availability: Depends on the operating airlines used. Some airlines (e.g. Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways and Turkish Airlines) have fairly good award availability, while other airlines (e.g. Lufthansa) do not release any award space until 14 days before departure.
- How to book: Call Singapore Airlines on 02 8228 1188 (within Australia).
Would you like help using your frequent flyer points?
Frequent Flyer Solutions offers a personalised service that’s designed to take the hard work out of redeeming your frequent flyer points!
Award Flight Assist can help you to find the perfect flights using your points. Just let the team know how many points you have and where you would like to go, and they’ll prepare an itinerary for you.