AFF on Air Discussion thread | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

AFF on Air Discussion thread

samh004

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Good first topic, I am registered for the webinar already and I'm keen to hear more insights on the AMEX devaluation. I have actually recently been approved for a Platinum Charge, as I pivot my earning from a 1-airline strategy to multiple airlines, or at least MR points.

Despite the increased cost for the charge card, I feel there is value for me and my partner in it and the memberships it affords, over what I currently use – which is the Ultimate card – despite the fact that going forward this will actually earn slightly more points. I think the main takeaway for me is that the Ultimate only earns in 1 direction, but changing my card strategy – despite the devaluation – means I have options at last. Perhaps I can finally take better advantage of the tips and tricks on this forum.

Loved the interview at the end, and thanks for the shoutout! :p

AFF Editor

Editor
Flights
My Map
Good first topic, I am registered for the webinar already and I'm keen to hear more insights on the AMEX devaluation. I have actually recently been approved for a Platinum Charge, as I pivot my earning from a 1-airline strategy to multiple airlines, or at least MR points.

Despite the increased cost for the charge card, I feel there is value for me and my partner in it and the memberships it affords, over what I currently use – which is the Ultimate card – despite the fact that going forward this will actually earn slightly more points. I think the main takeaway for me is that the Ultimate only earns in 1 direction, but changing my card strategy – despite the devaluation – means I have options at last. Perhaps I can finally take better advantage of the tips and tricks on this forum
Yes, indeed, the Amex Platinum charge card is still shaping up to be a relatively solid option going forward (despite the recently increased annual fee).

Loved the interview at the end, and thanks for the shoutout! :p
You're welcome :)

Revenge

Flights
My Map
I enjoyed the first (real) episode of the podcast. Very interesting!

My only criticism would be that during the intro the voice sounds very kiwi for an Australian Frequent Flyer podcast intro. ;-)

Looking forward to the next episode.

NZflygirl

Established Member
Loved the interview with Clifford actually. Given AFF has been going for 20yrs or so I'm very much a newcomer so it was great to hear the background.

I am wondering what is on the horizon for NZers with AMEX. Will expect changes in the future. Just a matter of when.

My only complaint is I had a 3 hr drive and it only lasted 30 minutes! Debating letting them all pile up so I can binge. :)
(Should have flown, would have been perfect length flight to listen..:rolleyes:)

AFF Editor

Editor
Flights
My Map
My only complaint is I had a 3 hr drive and it only lasted 30 minutes! Debating letting them all pile up so I can binge. :)
(Should have flown, would have been perfect length flight to listen..:rolleyes:)
The episodes will generally be around 20-30 minutes long. Sounds like a perfectly good excuse to fly to me ;)

Melburnian1

AFF Supporter
The episodes will generally be around 20-30 minutes long. Sounds like a perfectly good excuse to fly to me ;)
The first episode was very good. A subjective opinion, but I suggest 15 or 20 minutes is an ideal length.

From the way Mr Reichlin answered the questions, at times with hesitation, my impression was he'd not been provided with a list of questions that Mattg would ask. That's good, as I would prefer it not be robotic.

Mattg has a pleasant voice to listen to: maybe not quite a classic 'radio' or 'advertising' voice, but not grating. You wouldn't want to have me presenting as too monotonal a voice would be very annoying for listeners.

You may not wish to inform us in which case I understand, but how many have listened to each episode so far?

goldenhorn

Hi Matt,

Love the podcast! Your have a perfect podcasting voice and are very pleasant to listen to. I like the combination of starting with news and then focusing on one topic in a little depth. I also enjoyed the interview with Clifford and to hear the history of AFF.

If I can give some feedback as a previous podcaster myself, I think it's good to promote your FFS service in the podcast, but the ad is poor quality. The sound quality drops when Clifford speaks (he should be of equal or better quality to the presenter), plus the script is pretty weak. He doesn't really explain what FFS is and what the benefits are.

I think the podcast would be a great platform for growing that part of the business with ads that are more polished.

Another point is it isn't really clear where the show notes are. Are they on AFF or somewhere else?

My 2 cents. :)

Good luck with it!

AFF Editor

Editor
Flights
My Map
The first episode was very good. A subjective opinion, but I suggest 15 or 20 minutes is an ideal length.
We're working on the length. Generally I expect episodes to be 20-30 minutes as this is the average commute time for most people going to/from work. But they could be longer or shorter depending on how much I have to talk about each fortnight!

Hi Matt,

Love the podcast! Your have a perfect podcasting voice and are very pleasant to listen to. I like the combination of starting with news and then focusing on one topic in a little depth. I also enjoyed the interview with Clifford and to hear the history of AFF.

If I can give some feedback as a previous podcaster myself, I think it's good to promote your FFS service in the podcast, but the ad is poor quality. The sound quality drops when Clifford speaks (he should be of equal or better quality to the presenter), plus the script is pretty weak. He doesn't really explain what FFS is and what the benefits are.

I think the podcast would be a great platform for growing that part of the business with ads that are more polished.

Another point is it isn't really clear where the show notes are. Are they on AFF or somewhere else?

My 2 cents. :)

Good luck with it!
Thanks very much for the feedback.

The episode notes should be available through Apple Podcasts or wherever else you're listening. Failing that, they are also available on the individual AFF page for each episode. These pages are available here: AFF on Air Tips, Tricks and Chat | Australian Frequent Flyer

I have just finished listing to the first 2 podcasts and totally loved them. I think the 30 minute length is just right, the 20 with subject then the 10 answering questions was great. I listen in the car while driving then if there is something I am really interested in I listen to that again at work.

Keep up the good work.

Revenge

Flights
My Map
I just listened to episode 6 on my JQ flight from MEL to OOL last night. I'm really enjoying the show and every episode is interesting. I'm always happy to see when a new episode is announced.

I was amused to hear in the interview with QF WP that he mentioned Spokane as a favourite destination. Mrs Revenge and I stopped there for a few nights on our honeymoon in September and we were really impressed! We enjoyed our stay!

On a constructive note, I would welcome if the podcast interviews were done with better recording equipment. The quality of the interviews sound poor compared to Matt's commentary during the rest of the show.

AFF Editor

Editor
Flights
My Map
I just listened to episode 6 on my JQ flight from MEL to OOL last night. I'm really enjoying the show and every episode is interesting. I'm always happy to see when a new episode is announced.

I was amused to hear in the interview with QF WP that he mentioned Spokane as a favourite destination. Mrs Revenge and I stopped there for a few nights on our honeymoon in September and we were really impressed! We enjoyed our stay!

On a constructive note, I would welcome if the podcast interviews were done with better recording equipment. The quality of the interviews sound poor compared to Matt's commentary during the rest of the show.
Thank you for the feedback. We're working on the sound quality of the interviews and, although I don't yet have a perfect solution, it should be a little better in the most recent couple of episodes.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Homer