There are a few different ways to use Flybuys points in Australia. As well as redeeming for discounts off your shopping at Coles, gift cards or products from the Flybuys reward store, you have the option to transfer your Flybuys points to Velocity Frequent Flyer.
You can now convert Flybuys points to Velocity points in increments of 1,000 points, with 1000 flybuys points equal to 500 Velocity points. That’s a 2:1 conversion rate.
In December 2020, Flybuys also introduced Velocity Points Auto Transfer. Rather than manually transferring points whenever you need them, you can opt-in to have your Flybuys points automatically transferred to your Velocity account every time you earn 1,000 Flybuys points. While the same conversion rate applies when using Auto Transfer, Flybuys & Velocity have offered some bonus rewards such as extra status credits, bonus points or extra competition entries to Auto Transfer users during limited-time promotions.
Velocity points can be redeemed for flights, upgrades or other rewards via the Velocity Frequent Flyer program. As of April 2021, Velocity points can be redeemed for Virgin Australia flights & upgrades on all Australian domestic routes (except to Christmas/Cocos Islands), as well as wine, merchandise, gift cards, hotel and car hire bookings. However, international reward flights and partner airline redemptions remain temporarily unavailable.
There is no longer an annual limit to the number of points that may be converted from Flybuys to Velocity. This was removed from 1 November 2020.
About bonus point offers on transfers from Flybuys
Before January 2021, the standard conversion rate was 2,000 Flybuys points to 870 Velocity points. When this was the case, Flybuys & Velocity regularly offered 15% bonus points on transfers – effectively bringing the conversion rate to the current standard rate of 2:1.
Since the new conversion rate was implemented, Flybuys has still run promotions – although these have been focused mainly on encouraging members to sign up to Velocity Auto Transfer. For example, Flybuys offered triple Velocity status credits from December 2020 until January 2021 for members who opted in to Velocity Auto Transfer.
Current offer on Flybuys transfers to Velocity
The current promotion in April-May 2021 is a competition to win one of 50 return Virgin Australia flights or one of 1,000 prizes of 1,000 Velocity points. For every 1,000 points transferred, you’ll receive 1 entry. But if you’ve opted in to Velocity Auto Transfer, you’ll receive 2 entries per 1,000 points transferred.
During March 2021, Flybuys members who transferred points to Velocity could claim a share of 5 million points by transferring from flybuys to Velocity
How to transfer Flybuys points to Velocity Frequent Flyer
You can transfer Flybuys points to Velocity Frequent Flyer on the Flybuys website.
Alternatively, you can opt in to Velocity Auto Transfer on the Flybuys website.
You’ll need to be in Australia to redeem your Flybuys points (or use a VPN). If you haven’t already done so, you’ll also need to link your Flybuys account to your Velocity account online.
Previous bonus Velocity point offers
To give you an idea of what to expect, here is a list of recent previous bonus point offers on Flybuys transfers to Velocity Frequent Flyer:
- 1 April – 31 May 2021: Competition to win one of 50 Virgin Australia flights or one of 1,000 prizes of 1,000 Velocity points (Auto Transfer users get double entries)
- 1-31 March 2021: Claim a share of 5 million points (Auto Transfer users get double entries)
- 1 December 2020 – 31 January 2021: Triple status credits for Auto Transfer users
- 1-30 November 2020: 15% bonus points
- 1-31 July 2020: 15% bonus points (or 20% bonus points on transfers above 100,000 Flybuys points)
- 18-25 February 2020: 15% bonus points
- 23 January – 14 February 2020: “New Year” competition – transfer points for a chance to win 2,020,020 Velocity points
- 1-30 November 2019: 15% bonus points
- 14-31 October 2019: Shop with 1, 2 or 3 participating Flybuys partners to bag 100, 150 or 200 bonus Velocity points per redemption
- 3 September – 13 October 2019: “Points Millionaire” competition – transfer Flybuys points for the chance to win 1 million Velocity points
- 27-30 June 2019: 15% bonus points
- 1 May – 9 June 2019: 15% bonus points
- 1-30 April 2019: Transfer at least 2,000 Flybuys points and earn 5x Flybuys points on a Coles shop
- 1-31 March 2019: 10% bonus points
- 16-28 February 2019: 15% bonus points
- 17 January – 15 February 2019: Win a share of 10 million points (this ended up being 98 Velocity points per 2,000 Flybuys points transferred)
- 27-29 December 2018: 15% bonus points