There are a few different ways to redeem Flybuys points in Australia. As well as redeeming for discounts off your shopping at Coles, gift cards or products from the Flybuys reward store, you have the option to transfer your Flybuys points to Velocity Frequent Flyer.
You can convert Flybuys points to Velocity points in increments of 2,000 points. Under normal circumstances, you could then redeem your Velocity points for flights and upgrades. But Velocity redemptions are currently severely restricted. As of July 2020, Velocity points can only be redeemed for Virgin Australia flights on 20 Australian domestic routes for travel beyond September 2020.
Due to the limited ability to redeem Velocity points at the moment, and ongoing uncertainty surrounding the future of Virgin Australia and Velocity Frequent Flyer, we do not recommend transferring Flybuys points to Velocity right now. Although transfers to Velocity were reinstated after the total suspension of Velocity redemptions was lifted, and you can even earn up to 20% bonus points right now, it’s just not worth the risk. Your Flybuys points are currently much more safe where they are. You’ll always have the option to transfer Flybuys points to Velocity later, once Velocity reinstates a full range of redemptions, and bonus points on transfers are offered regularly anyway.
About bonus point offers on transfers from Flybuys
The normal conversion rate is 2,000 Flybuys points = 870 Velocity points. But, you can earn even more Velocity points by waiting for a bonus offer. These offers come around frequently.
There are a few different types of deals that may apply to Flybuys transfers to Velocity. The most common type of offer is 15% bonus points on the entire transfer, although the amount can vary and it’s possible to get up to a 20% bonus. Some of the offers are a bit more creative, and in the past we have also seen competitions where transferring 2,000 Flybuys points earns you one entry.
With 15% bonus Velocity points, you’re effectively earning 1,000 Velocity points for every 2,000 Flybuys points (so there is a 2:1 conversion rate, rather than the usual 1:0.435 ratio).
You may normally only transfer a maximum of 138,000 Flybuys points to Velocity Frequent Flyer each calendar year, which is equivalent to 60,030 Velocity points (before bonuses). However, the upper limit is currently being waived during July 2020 and you can now transfer an unlimited number of points. The annual transfer limit will be reinstated from 1 August 2020.
Current offer on Flybuys transfers to Velocity
The current promotion is for 15-20% bonus Velocity points on all Flybuys points transferred. This offer is available for the entire month of July 2020.
To get the full 20% bonus points, you would need to transfer at least 100,000 Flybuys points in a single transaction. Smaller transfers will receive 15% bonus points.
This offer is being discussed on the Australian Frequent Flyer forum: Velocity Transfer-15% bonus
How to transfer Flybuys points to Velocity
You can transfer Flybuys points to Velocity Frequent Flyer on the Flybuys website.
You’ll need to be in Australia to redeem your Flybuys points. If you haven’t already done so, you’ll also need to link your Flybuys account to your Velocity account online.
Previous bonus Velocity point offers
To give you an idea of what to expect, here is a list of recent previous bonus point offers on Flybuys transfers to Velocity Frequent Flyer:
- 1-31 July 2020: 15% bonus points (or 20% bonus points on transfers above 100,000 Flybuys points)
- 18-25 February 2020: 15% bonus points
- 23 January – 14 February 2020: “New Year” competition – transfer Flybuys points for a chance to win 2,020,020 Velocity points
- 1-30 November 2019: 15% bonus points
- 14-31 October 2019: Shop with 1, 2 or 3 participating Flybuys partners to bag 100, 150 or 200 bonus Velocity points per transfer
- 3 September – 13 October 2019: “Points Millionaire” competition – transfer Flybuys points for the chance to win 1 million Velocity points
- 27-30 June 2019: 15% bonus points
- 1 May – 9 June 2019: 15% bonus points
- 1-30 April 2019: Transfer at least 2,000 Flybuys points and earn 5x Flybuys points on a Coles shop
- 1-31 March 2019: 10% bonus points
- 16-28 February 2019: 15% bonus points
- 17 January – 15 February 2019: Win a share of 10 million points (this ended up being 98 Velocity points per 2,000 Flybuys points transferred)
- 27-29 December 2018: 15% bonus points