Last week, we showed you how to book a Round-the-World Award using Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles.
But did you know that there’s a cheaper alternative to the full round-the-world award? The official Star Alliance Round The World Award costs 180,000 KrisFlyer miles in Economy, 240,000 miles in Business or 360,000 miles for First Class. But using this alternative method, you can circle the globe for just:
- 120,000 KrisFlyer miles in Economy
- 234,000 KrisFlyer miles in Business class
- 305,000 KrisFlyer miles in First class
The trick is to book a round-trip Star Alliance award from Australia (or New Zealand) to North America, using an eastbound or westbound routing in both directions. For example, you could fly via south-east Asia and Europe in one direction. You would then return via north-east Asia – or on a direct trans-Pacific flight.
The KrisFlyer award routing rules are specific, but they are also rather generous in terms of allowable routings. For example, a routing from Sydney to New York via Singapore and Frankfurt – with stopovers in both cities – is allowed. But your stopovers will generally need to be in Star Alliance hubs (which both Singapore and Frankfurt are), as “unnecessary” backtracking is not permitted.
With this award, you can fly on Singapore Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier. The quoted mileage rates apply to itineraries that include at least one flight on a Star Alliance airline other than Singapore Airlines.
One free stopover is allowed on KrisFlyer round-trip bookings, and up to 3 additional stopovers can be added for just USD100 (around $127) each.
Other key routing rules to be aware of are as follows:
- Maximum six total flight segments per itinerary
- One open-jaw (surface sector) is permitted at either the origin or destination on round-trip awards. Open-jaws are permitted across multiple award zones, but the higher award level will apply. En-route surface sectors are not permitted.
- Backtracking is not permitted. Travel must be via the most direct route.
While these rules may seem somewhat restrictive (and they are), some pretty incredible itineraries can be booked as round-trip awards to/from North America. Here are two examples…
Itinerary 1: Sydney to New York, with stopovers in Singapore, Istanbul & Seoul
Itinerary 2: Perth to Houston (returning from Mexico City), with stopovers in Singapore, Manchester, Tokyo & Bangkok
To book this award using KrisFlyer miles, you would need to call Singapore Airlines on 02 8228 1188 (from within Australia). If possible, it’s a good idea to do some research and check for award seat availability on the flights you wish to book before calling.
- Currency: Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles
- Airline: All Star Alliance airlines
- Route: Australia to North America (round-trip, travelling in a continuous eastbound or westbound direction)
- Class of travel: Economy, Business or First class
- Cost: 120,000 – 305,000 KrisFlyer miles plus taxes, depending on the class of travel
- Availability: Depends on the operating airlines used. Some airlines (e.g. Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways and Turkish Airlines) have fairly good award availability, while other airlines (e.g. Lufthansa) do not release any award space until 14 days before departure.
- How to book: Call Singapore Airlines on 02 8228 1188 (within Australia).
Would you like help using your frequent flyer points?
Frequent Flyer Solutions offers a personalised service that’s designed to take the hard work out of redeeming your frequent flyer points!
Award Flight Assist can help you to find the perfect flights using your points. Just let the team know how many points you have and where you would like to go, and they’ll prepare an itinerary for you.