It’s exactly one year today since Tasmania became the first Australian state to close its border to interstate travel. Since then, there have been endless state border closures and changes to interstate travel restrictions. But thankfully, as of last Monday, all domestic borders in Australia are now open again for the first time since March 2020. Things are now looking up!
On this one-year anniversary of the start of the coronavirus pandemic, we find out what happened to Henrique Pereira, the manager of Draper Startup House in Lisbon, Portugal, which had to close in March 2020 just two days after opening. Matt previously interviewed Henrique on Episode 32 of this podcast, which aired a year ago. Since then, what has happened to tourism businesses in Portugal, and did the hostel survive?
Also in this episode, how airlines have turned to selling miles to generate pandemic income – creating new opportunities within many frequent flyer programs. And the episode finishes with a reminder of some upcoming changes to several frequent flyer programs coming at the end of March 2021.
- 2:12 – Fortnightly news round-up
- 14:07 – New opportunities to buy miles in 2021, including with Air Canada Aeroplan
- 22:06 – Interview with Henrique Pereira
- 46:22 – Upcoming changes to frequent flyer programs to be aware of
- AFF on Air Discussion thread – a dedicated AFF thread to discuss the podcast and ask questions
- More info on the upcoming Frequent Flyer Solutions webinar – “New Opportunities to Buy Airline Miles in 2021” (8pm AEDT on Wednesday 24 March 2021)
- Draper Startup House, Lisbon
Frequent Flyer Gazette articles referenced in the fortnightly news round-up:
- All Australian State Borders Have Reopened
- Half-Price Flights in New Tourism Support Package
- Virgin Australia Reopens Canberra Airport Lounge
- Most Qantas Club Lounges to Reopen by Easter
- Qantas to Serve Norfolk Island
- QantasLink Adds Seasonal Cooma, Albury Flights
- ACCC Weighs In On Rex Allegations Against Qantas
- ANZ Rewards Hopes to Reinstate Velocity Points Transfers Soon
- Velocity Extends Discover Gold & Status Rewards