Singapore Airlines has been an Alaska Airlines partner for more than two years, and you can already redeem Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles for Alaska Airlines flights. But the ability to redeem Mileage Plan miles for flights on Singapore Airlines had been “coming soon” for a very long time. Now, it’s finally a reality – and award availability on Singapore Airlines is surprisingly not terrible.
Even if you don’t already have an existing balance of Alaskan Mileage Plan miles, this is exciting news because it’s possible to buy Alaska Airlines miles. Until the end of October, you can even receive 40% bonus miles on purchases.
You can redeem Alaska Airlines miles to book Singapore Airlines flights in Economy, Business or First Class. Premium Economy awards are not available.
Mileage Plan award pricing for Singapore Airlines flights
Unfortunately, the number of Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles required to book a Singapore Airlines flight is quite high on many routes. This includes flights in and out of Australia, where it’ll cost you 65,000 miles for a one-way Business class award from Australia to Singapore. By comparison, it costs just 30,000 Alaskan miles to fly from Australia to Hong Kong in Cathay Pacific Business class. But there are some sweet spots!
With Alaska Airlines, you’re only able to redeem miles for awards that are listed in the Mileage Plan award charts. Here is a list of Singapore Airlines routes that can be booked using Alaska Airlines miles, and the price for one-way awards in Economy, Business and First class, respectively:
- Southeast Asia to Southeast Asia – 17.5k, 25k, 35k
- Southeast Asia to North Asia – 22.5k, 60k, 75k
- Southeast Asia to Africa – 40k, 90k, 120k
- North Asia to Africa – 55k, 160k, 200k
- North Asia to USA – 40k, 80k, 110k
- Southeast Asia to USA – 47.5k, 100k, 130k
- Southeast Asia to Europe – 42.5k, 110k, 160k
- North Asia to Europe – 65k, 175k, 240k
- Southeast Asia to India/South Asia – published at 17.5k, 25k, 35k (in practice it’s 25k/65k)
- Southeast Asia to Australia/NZ (South Pacific) – 30k, 65k, 90k
- Australia/NZ to Africa – 60k, 160k, 210k
- Australia/NZ to USA – 70k, 145k, 190k
- Australia/NZ to Europe – 67.5k, 190k, 250k
- Africa to USA – 75k, 160k, 210k
- Africa to Middle East – 50k, 140k, 190k
- India to USA – 47.5k, 100k, 130k
- Middle East to USA – 62.5k, 130k, 165k
- India to Europe – 42.5k, 110k, 160k
- Middle East to Europe – 60k, 160k, 210k
Award availability is quite good on some routes. For example, Business class awards are available from Sydney to Singapore on many dates that we checked…
You can book Singapore Airlines flights using Mileage Plan miles on the Alaska Airlines website.
Mileage Plan sweet spot
Alaska Airlines allows you to add a free stopover in Singapore when booking a Singapore Airlines award. This includes one-way awards.
While award flights to/from Australia are quite expensive, one-way redemptions within the “Southeast Asia” zone are relatively good value at 25,000 Alaskan miles in Business class or 35,000 Alaskan miles in First class. What’s more, the Southeast Asia zone is quite large and seems to include the following countries:
- China, including Hong Kong and Taiwan
If you were to book a return flight from Singapore to any of these countries, it would cost you 50,000 miles in Business. But you could book a one-way award from any of these countries to anywhere else in the region, and add a free stopover in Singapore, for 25,000 miles in Business or 35,000 miles in First. Here’s an example…
During the current promotion, you can buy 35,000 Mileage Plan miles for USD798.19 (~$1,183). That’s significantly less than the $5,380.30 it would cost you to pay for those flights in First class!
To book Mileage Plan awards with a stopover, you would need to use the multi-city booking tool on the Alaska Airlines website.
Would you like help using your frequent flyer points?
Frequent Flyer Solutions offers a personalised service that’s designed to take the hard work out of redeeming your frequent flyer points.
Award Flight Assist can help you to find the perfect flights using your points. Just let the team know how many points you have and where you would like to go, and they’ll prepare an itinerary for you.