- There is a new promotion offering up to 40% bonus miles
- There is now an annual purchase limit of 150,000 Mileage Plan miles
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles are a valuable currency. You can redeem Alaska Airlines miles to fly with around 15 different airlines including Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, Korean Air, Finnair and Emirates, and awards are excellent value. The miles required to redeem for a flight are relatively low. There are also no fuel surcharges on award tickets with most partner airlines.
Unfortunately, it’s not that easy to earn Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles in Australia. But the good news is that you can buy Alaska Airlines miles in bulk, directly from the airline. Plus, Alaska Airlines offers regular promotions on buying miles. Right now, for example, you can earn up to 40% bonus miles.
Current deal: Up to 40% Bonus Alaska Airlines Miles
The current promotion on buying Alaska Airlines miles offers up to 40% bonus miles until 22 February 2019.
With this deal, the bonus amount varies based on the number of Alaskan miles purchased:
- Buy 5,000 – 19,000 Alaskan miles and earn 20% bonus miles
- Buy 20,000 – 29,000 Alaskan miles and earn 30% bonus miles
- Buy 30,000 – 60,000 Alaskan miles and earn 40% bonus miles
This offer may not be available to new Mileage Plan members. If you’re not already a member, sign up now to avoid missing out on the next promotion.
It would cost USD1,773.75 (~$2,438) to purchase the maximum 60,000 miles during this promotion. For this price you would receive 84,000 miles (including 24,000 bonus miles).
Buying Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles
You can buy Alaska Airlines miles on the Alaska Airlines website.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles cost USD29.56 (~$38) per thousand, including taxes but excluding any discounts or bonus miles. There is a purchase limit of 60,000 miles per transaction (excluding bonus miles). As of 24 January 2019, there is also now an annual purchase limit of 150,000 miles per member (including bonus miles). This limit is waived for Mileage Plan members with MVP, MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75k status.
Redeeming Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles
You can redeem Alaska Airlines miles on around 15 partner airlines, but there is a catch. You can only redeem miles on specific routes as set out in the Mileage Plan award charts.
These are some of the most useful Mileage Plan redemptions for Australians:
- Cathay Pacific Business class from Australia to Hong Kong costs only 30,000 miles one-way
- Cathay Pacific Business class flights from Hong Kong to Europe cost 42,500 miles one-way
- Any Japan Airlines Business class booking within Asia costs 25,000 miles one-way, and you may also include a free stopover in Tokyo
- Any Qantas domestic route within Australia costs 20,000 miles one-way
- You can fly from Australia to North America with the following airlines: Qantas, American Airlines, Fiji Airways, Cathay Pacific, Korean Air and Emirates.
- You can also now redeem Alaska Airlines miles for Finnair flights
Mileae Plan’s extensive list of partners and low redemption costs make this an especially competitive program if you want to fly Business class to North America. Award flights on Qantas and American Airlines are great value, although award availability is very limited. Korean Air award availability from Australia to North America is much better, and redeeming Alaskan miles for Korean Air flights is excellent value if you book a return trip.
Do note that Cathay Pacific award availability is limited for Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan members.
It’s not yet possible to redeem Mileage Plan miles on Singapore Airlines, despite the airlines being partners. (In the opposite direction, you can redeem Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles for Alaska Airlines flights.)
Most Mileage Plan awards can be booked on the Alaska Airlines website. But you’ll need to call Alaska Airlines on on +1 (800) 252 7522 to redeem miles with Cathay Pacific or LATAM Airlines. The Alaska Airlines call centre is open from 5am to midnight, California time. (It is closed during the evening in Australia.)
You can discuss the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan program on the Australian Frequent Flyer forum: Alaska airlines mileage plan
Want to learn more about buying points?
Frequent Flyer Solutions offers a comprehensive training program which includes an entire course on buying points for discounted premium travel! This course covers 7 frequent flyer programs in detail, including Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan. View course →