Departing Australia in 2021 is unfortunately not as simple as booking a ticket and going to the airport. If you’re an Australian citizen or permanent resident who normally lives in Australia, you’ll firstly need to apply for an exemption from the Department of Home Affairs to even be allowed to exit Australia. You’ll then need to navigate complex COVID-19 testing requirements and entry requirements for your destination (and any transit) countries.
The previous episode of AFF on Air included Part One of an interview with travel agent Alan Lam about travelling during COVID-19. This episode includes Part Two of this interview, which is all about leaving Australia.
You can contact Alan by emailing alan[at]netwavetravel[dot]com or find him on the Australian Frequent Flyer forum posting under the username “madrooster”.
- 1:30 – Fortnightly news round-up
- 8:33 – Interview with Alan Lam: Getting an exemption to leave Australia
- 15:52 – Interview with Alan Lam: COVID-19 testing requirements when travelling overseas
- 22:45 – Interview with Alan Lam: Things to consider when booking international flights via a third/transit country
- 25:14 – Interview with Alan Lam: COVID-19 travel insurance
- 31:16 – Decommissioned airports that have been creatively repurposed
- AFF on Air Discussion thread – a dedicated AFF thread to discuss the podcast and ask questions
- Travelling to Australia During COVID-19 (Guide)
- Travelling to Australia During COVID-19 (Discussion)
- Hong Kong’s Kai Tak Sky Garden
Frequent Flyer Gazette articles referenced in the fortnightly news round-up: