In case you haven’t already heard, there’s a brand new Velocity double status credits offer on now! You can earn double status credits for all new Virgin Australia marketed and operated flights booked by 12 February 2019, for travel until 28 December 2019.
Thanks to the current promotion, it’s possible to accrue Velocity status credits on Virgin Australia flights for as little as $1.84 per status credit! This kind of value is extremely rare outside of the United States.
If you’re thinking about booking a Virgin Australia status run, the trick to maximising your status credits is to book an Economy Freedom or Business Saver fare. These ticket types are a little more expensive but earn a fare greater number of status credits than Economy Getaway and Elevate fares.
You’ll also often increase your status credit haul by booking flights requiring connections. Status credits are earned for each individual flight sector flown – so as we often say at Australian Frequent Flyer, why fly direct when you can connect?
With some airfares, you can also save 10% on the ticket price by applying a Virgin Australia discount code. Some of the prices quoted in this article for Economy Freedom tickets are based on the airfare after applying a promo code. Where this is the case, we’ve included the promo code so you can also apply this when booking!
The “Dunedin run”
The best currently-available Virgin status run that we found on the Virgin Australia website involves flying Hobart-Melbourne-Brisbane-Dunedin in Business Class. You can book this itinerary as a Business Saver ticket for $733.02 one-way and earn 380 Velocity status credits for your trouble. This works out to be $1.93 per status credit. (That’s a regular earn of 50 status credits for Hobart-Melbourne, 60 status credits for Melbourne-Brisbane and 80 status credits for Brisbane-Dunedin. With the current promo, the 190 status credits normally earned doubles to 380.)
The “Dunedin run” is even better value if you book a return ticket, coming in at just $1,399.22 round-trip for a total earn of 760 status credits – that’s $1.84 per status credit!
Considering you’d need 1,000 status credits to earn Platinum status (or 800 to re-qualify), that’s quite a deal. Note that due to the flight times, you would need to spent at least one night in Dunedin.
Top 10 Velocity status runs to book with double status credits
To help you with finding more great Velocity status runs, here is the full list of the top 10 currently-available options that we found on flights departing Australia.
Note that all prices quoted are one-way. The amounts of status credits listed are also for one-way bookings and include the bonus status credits. You’d obviously earn twice as many status credits for a round-trip booking.
- Hobart-Melbourne-Brisbane-Dunedin in Business Saver – 380 Velocity status credits for $733 ($1.93/status credit)
- Sydney-Melbourne-Auckland-Rarotonga in Business Saver – 460 Velocity status credits for $1,080 ($2.35/status credit)
- Launceston-Melbourne-Christchurch in Business Saver – 260 Velocity status credits for $677 ($2.60/status credit)
- Canberra-Melbourne-Christchurch in Business Saver – 260 Velocity status credits for $680 ($2.62/status credit)
- Melbourne-Canberra-Gold Coast in Economy Freedom – 100 Velocity status credits for $262 using promo code CMT46 ($2.62/status credit)
- Melbourne-Brisbane-Denpasar in Business Saver – 360 Velocity status credits for $968 ($2.69/status credit)
- Ballina-Sydney-Adelaide in Business Saver – 200 Velocity status credits for $599 ($3/status credit)
- Sydney-Melbourne-Launceston in Economy Freedom – 100 Velocity status credits for $305 using promo code CMT46 ($3.05/status credit)
- Canberra-Melbourne-Adelaide in Business Saver – 200 Velocity status credits for $617 ($3.09/status credit)
- Sydney-Brisbane-Cairns in Economy Freedom – 110 Velocity status credits for $341 using promo code CMT46 ($3.10/status credit)
Join the discussion about the latest Velocity double status credits promotion on the Australian Frequent Flyer forum: Double Status Credits offer 1/2/19