Qantas A380 refurbishment news and updates. | Page 10 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Qantas A380 refurbishment news and updates.

TheInsider

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Not clear.
VH-OQG has been in Dresden since 12 June but was supposedly getting a check only (the prior aircraft was only in DRS for 14 days). However it was meant to swap with OQK, which was reported to be the first, in early July.

So something has changed.
It's getting "heavy maintenance".

jb747

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
That's a really good looking box from Airbus
My sources aren't what they used to be, but I'm told that that nice box from Airbus (and its contents) caused a few issues. Apparently too big for the normal shipping options.

NSun

VH-OQB has been in Abu Dhabi for 2 months now. Obviously not a refurb but must be heavy maintenance. If its the 'one in a lifetime check' wasn't it going to be done during the refurbishment?

jb747

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
It makes sense to do the major before any refurbishment...as the major will involve pulling just about everything out. But, contractors for the two jobs are likely to be quite different. Even when the aircraft are built, they don't have their cabins done at Toulouse.

NSun

VH-OQG is positioning back to LHR as QF6006 and VH-OQK has just landed there as QF1. Is the refurbishment beginning now?

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Seems so.
VH-OQK off to DRS as QF6005

(Unless they sneakily refurbed VH-OQG which has been in DRS for 5 wks with no leaks or press - very unlikely for QF)

OATEK

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Seems so.
VH-OQK off to DRS as QF6005

(Unless they sneakily refurbed VH-OQG which has been in DRS for 5 wks with no leaks or press - very unlikely for QF)
Still old seat map showing for QF2.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
Vehicles around LA are outright pests. A couple of years ago, I had a large bus drive across a taxiway right in front of me. Now, I know that buses are big, but I think I would have won that argument.
Would a horn have helped?

Sam Brennan

I’m confused with why row 65 looks different to the qantas seat maps for the A380 on all other websites even it’s own until you go to book and see this

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I’m confused with why row 65 looks different to the qantas seat maps for the A380 on all other websites even it’s own until you go to book and see this
That's a bug with the current Qantas seat selection screen.

They are 65 A/B/C ...

jase05

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Article from ET mentions that 1 of the refurbished birds will be ready at the end of September with 3 more ready by the end of the year.

DavidFlynn

Actually it's been edited to 'up to three more' because the one per month rate is a bit timey-wimey – it's an approximation and also has to work into the C-check schedule.

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
The big C-checks are being done separately. VH-OQB did a test flight yesterday at AUH so should be back soon.

And from the results thread re the one month timetable for the remaining aircraft
The first one (VH-OQK) needed some certification work completed as there are changes to the emergency exits. Once this work is done the others are all just carbon copies.

kpro

Looks like OQB just took off for Singapore as QF1. EF still showing the old seat map though.

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Looks like OQB just took off for Singapore as QF1. EF still showing the old seat map though.
That's correct.
OQB was in Abu Dhabi just getting c-check.
The first refurb is OQK which is in Dresden

I've heard another A380 is about to go to AUH for its lube and oil change...
I'd assume OQC given its about the same age. OQA is obviously older but has had a few significant breaks for maintenance.

NSun

I'd assume OQC given its about the same age. OQA is obviously older but has had a few significant breaks for maintenance.
Flight Radar 24 is showing VH-OQF, it took off as QF6011 tonight.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBJen