Qantas A380 refurbishment news and updates. | Page 12 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Qantas A380 refurbishment news and updates.

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
So to summarise the track
Full schedule (subject to change)
QF2 30/9 LHR-SIN-SYD
QF1 2/10 SYD-SIN-LHR
QF2 3/10 LHR-SIN-SYD
QF1 5/10 SYD-SIN-LHR
QF2 6/10 LHR-SIN-SYD
QF1 8/10 SYD-SIN-LHR
QF2 9/10 LHR-SIN-SYD
QF11 11/11 SYD-LAX
(Add 1 day for QF2 SIN departures)

pagingjoan

Established Member
AFF Supporter
But you may not notice much difference from your usual F seat, as it’s only a ‘refresh’.

Maybe request a downgrade to Business for the full experience. 😉
I think you would notice!
The “refresh” is sorely needed. :eek: :)

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Interesting the big break.. would normally expect nothing over January, but waiting until March is surprising.
Possibly some of the remaining three getting the new repaint.
The previous info on FlyerTalk had said (for entry into Dresden dates with presumably a month )
16.09.19 VH-OQL
10.11.19 VH-OQH

Last edited:

TheInsider

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Interesting the big break.. would normally expect nothing over January, but waiting until March is surprising.
Possibly some of the remaining three getting the new repaint.
The previous info on FlyerTalk had said (for entry into Dresden dates with presumably a month )
16.09.19 VH-OQL
10.11.19 VH-OQH
I think that was originally planned, but this was the last bit of info that was given out.

parsonstrish

Qantas
Platinum
Does this mean qf1 won’t be flying to lhr past 8/10? I’m flying out 17/10:rolleyes:

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Anyone have photos of the new J cabin?
I am curious - the A330 cabin width is 5.26m, the B787 is 5.49m, the A380 upper deck is 5.8m.
If they all have the same 1-2-1 layout with the same seat, where is the extra 54 cm (just short of 2 feet) on the A380?
Wider aisles?

DC3

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Next Aircraft is VH-OQH - EIS 10 Dec 19

Then VH-OQG - EIS 20 Apr 20!!

Very, very slow. Something must've happened to make these all so much slower than expected.
At that rate it could be another three years for completion?

Matt_01

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
So we all got a bit excited over the QF a380 refit, remember how many years did it take QF to refit the a330’s. Just an observation.

Flying Fox

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
At that rate it could be another three years for completion?
AJ was quoted as saying getting one A380 converted per month (give or take as the refurb was being done in conjunction with other maintenance) so that all would be completed for QF's 100yr anniversary in 2020.

DavidFlynn

AJ was quoted as saying getting one A380 converted per month (give or take as the refurb was being done in conjunction with other maintenance) so that all would be completed for QF's 100yr anniversary in 2020.
Yeah, the 'give-and-take' is the key here, especially in early days of the project and lining up with other work. If the first couple take a few extra months that's a shame but c'est la vie, the world still turns etc. I'd say there remains sufficient wiggle room to get all 12 done by November 2020.

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Very, very slow. Something must've happened to make these all so much slower than expected.
How about the reality that was always going to be, Vs the usual Qantas over-promising? No expectation of keeping to the announced roll-out, here.

How dreadful that I'm that cynical, I know, but long experience does that to you ;)

Daver6

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Anyone have photos of the new J cabin?
I am curious - the A330 cabin width is 5.26m, the B787 is 5.49m, the A380 upper deck is 5.8m.
If they all have the same 1-2-1 layout with the same seat, where is the extra 54 cm (just short of 2 feet) on the A380?
Wider aisles?
Would they still need to retain the side storage bins? That would take up a good part of the 54cm.

DavidFlynn

I’m not the most practical person but I can’t see how they would work for those in 2A/K 4A/K etc
Would be no way of accessing them.
Exactly, looking at the Business Suite / Vantage XL design I felt it wasn't really made with side bin access in mind, and you'd think that if extra space is needed, this would be the easiest way to get it. That said, I don't know about the physical aspect of those bins as a construct against the sidewall. One wonders if their removal played some part in a longer-than-expected refurb? Ah well, we may well know the answer to this while Sunday's QF2 sits on the tarmac at LHR or after it lands at SIN .

AFF on Air Podcast

• “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MPK