Qantas A380 refurbishment news and updates. | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Qantas A380 refurbishment news and updates.

Ansett

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Click HERE to view an article on this topic collaboratively compiled by our members using the (now retired) Wiki.

With the announcement of the plan to refurbish the A380 and update the lounge area, that it would be a good idea to keep track of the plans and rumors and monitor activity's and refurbish schedule, pretty much as was done with the A330.

So to get the thread started recently spoke with senior managers during the launch of the QF10 out of London and it was confirmed that the plan is to remove the current staff only area and to reduce the size of the stairs, currently being worked out by QF and AB, this would then allow them to install tables and seating but no bar other than a small self serve similar to what is currently available.

Please feel free to add any other insights and or rumors.

Melburnian1

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Way back in history the Qantas B747s (probably before it was privatised) had a roomy area with couches around the windows, sort of like a parlour car or observation car design at the back of some famous trains.

This however didn't last long.

Do you perceive this new area will be better used?

Daver6

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Why not use the area for a couple of extra toilets...that would be useful.

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
The first aircraft for repaint went to DXB this week (VH-OQF).

But refurb won't commence until 2019.

QF had previously released a single render showing a revised couch, but not much else.

Qantas to upgrade A380 business class seats to new Business Suites

The flagged A380Plus reportedly had options for a more modest staircase.

Not sure if narrowing the staircase would be easy, but if you removed the CSM station and replaced it with an expanded bar and stools and put in half height rather than full height walls around the stairs that would certainly make the area appear more spacious.

I'm sure we will hear more announcements from Qantas over 2018
(I just hope it also includes something about F, a refresh doesn't cut it imho)

Ansett

Established Member
AFF Supporter
The first aircraft for repaint went to DXB this week (VH-OQF).

(I just hope it also includes something about F, a refresh doesn't cut it imho)
On that matter the refresh according to a source will be just the refresh as indicated however there is a review currently underway to look at the F service and the perceived lack of differentiation between J and F Food, other than wine, that should see a major improvement, the word lobster was used.

kermatu

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
On that matter the refresh according to a source will be just the refresh as indicated however there is a review currently underway to look at the F service and the perceived lack of differentiation between J and F Food, other than wine, that should see a major improvement, the word lobster was used.
Somewhat good to hear. Does not need to wait for any refresh though.

Ansett

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Somewhat good to hear. Does not need to wait for any refresh though.
It seems that a lot have raised concern on the poor differentiation of QF F Food especially compared to EK F Food offerings. I also discussed the issue of other airlines offering more premium spirits in F than QF. There was little response on that but expect that there may be some changes there too.

rock86

Established Member
Can I ask a silly question, it seems as though the QF timetable for refurbing a few A380's is fairly long compared to other airlines?

Forg

The talk about F is interesting ... haven’t Qantas called the Perth-London service the “Kangaroo Route”, their blue-ribbon flagship route, and don’t those 787’s have no first class?

So the refurb’d A380’s will actually have a First?

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Can I ask a silly question
What was the question?
QF has a habit of pre-announcig ideas well before they get anywhere near production (eg the business suite took almost 2 years from first announcement)
I also expect the actual install timeframe is lined up with a major check given the amount of work that goes into seat refit.
Other airlines tend to announce much closer to actual product launch, but I suspect the actual development timetable is similar

So the refurb’d A380’s will actually have a First
Based on the article linked above, First will remain with a small refresh

eastwest101

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
So the only real question is whether they will go for the additional 7 J class seats or an additional 11 PE seats. If they are removing the few rows of Y class from the back of the upper deck, then maybe they will just keep the upper deck PE section the same size and just move it backwards and give themselves more J class seat on the upper deck?

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Well I hope they don't install the new 789 PE type seats where most can't use the tray table and the seat belt at the same time.

big_w_belt.jpg

Forg

Well I hope they don't install the new 789 PE type seats where most can't use the tray table and the seat belt at the same time.

View attachment 122776
That article says they're installing the same seats as the Dreamliner, and Qantas only has 789's (no 788's) don't they?

Also, that small upstairs economy cabin is gone.

Ansett

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I mean seriously I know its OT but why the hell do you need an airbag in an aircraft seat for crying out loud. Surely these must represent an maintenance cost and what happens of they fail to go off or go off prematurely?

Ansett

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Given that there is an existing door that, Ok will be locked some how, how do you fit a seat there and wow no real window would be disappointing for many. I am intrigued on the working of this proposal.

Flying Fox

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
First QF A380 repainted in DXB

First Qantas Airbus A380 repainted in new livery | Australian Aviation

Looks good but I would prefer the QANTAS lettering to be larger and more bold.

Operating as QF6012, the Qantas A380 VH-OQF landed in Sydney a little after 0700 on Wednesday morning, following its 14-hour journey from Dubai.

I wonder why she wasn't flown back as QF revenue flight instead of being an empty aircraft?

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Given that there is an existing door that, Ok will be locked some how, how do you fit a seat there and wow no real window would be disappointing for many. I am intrigued on the working of this proposal.
Depends how they do it. One possibility is that they'll replace the entire inner panel of the cabin so from the inside there's no mistake as to the potential for exit.

Blocking off exit doors is not uncommon. The B747-200 had such an option and a couple of carriers utilised it, but fairly easy when you had a standard sized window in the door. Which is not the case on the A380.

Personally I don't approve. It will affect safety.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vicki Angela