Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

AFF Gathering #14 in CBR on 4 - 6 December 2020

Added to Calendar: 04-12-20, 05-12-20, 06-12-20

Jacques Vert

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
For those looking for somewhere cheaper to stay, Rydges have a Flash Sale at present (ends tonight).

Queen room, fully flexible @ $101 per night. No frills: breakfast, parking, etc., extra. (Rydges Capitol Hill)
Rydges have another Flash Sale ending on 3/9. Rydges Capitol Hill, Queen room from $101 per night, cancel up until 4PM on day of arrival:

Fully Flexible 72 Hour Flash Sale at Rydges, QT and Atura Hotels & Resorts
For 72 hours only, save 30% off our best available rates at participating hotels right across Australia and New Zealand. Whether it’s a last minute getaway or a future escape you can book with confidence knowing you can cancel or change your plans until 4pm the same day of arrival. Plus, Priority Guest Reward Members receive a further 10% off rates and in-stay benefits including a welcome drink on arrival, discounted dining in our venues and complimentary late check out.​

kookaburra75

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
Anyone have any opinion on Rydges vs Ovolo Nishi in Canberra?
Rydges Capital HIll (formerly the Pavillion) is an old property which has been done up a bit. It's closer to the Kingston Hotel than Ovolo Nishi, which is in the city. The bar and restaurant options are ok. You would be best heading down to Realm/Osteri or Maple+Clove for breakfast or a drink.

MrsK and I stayed at Ovolo two weeks ago, and while the rooms are on the small side (being more modern) they are well set out, with lots of places to hang coats and packs in the bathroom. The meal and drink options are a lot better than Rydges.

The thing though, nowhere is really far in Canberra. If I had to pick, I'd go for Ovolo, although at $100 a night, Rydges would be a good deal.

Last edited:

rainbowgirl

Established Member
I enjoyed The Mecure in Canberra last year, not far from the War Memorial. Their 2 story rooms were very comfy and they come with a little storage area under the stairs. Our family called it the Harry Potter room. Breakfast in the cafe was wonderful. Have no idea whether they are still allowed to serve a buffet breakfast with the current restrictions.

Mattg

Flights
My Map
Just an update - we're still really hopeful that this will be able to go ahead. I'm keeping a close eye on the state borders/health situation but fingers crossed that most/all of you will be able to come to Canberra in December! We currently have zero cases of you-know-what here.

To give you a rough idea, here's what we currently have planned for the weekend:

Friday evening - dinner at a yet-to-be-determined restaurant, most likely somewhere in Civic/Braddon/Acton.
Saturday morning - visit to Parliament House, and/or possibly a city tour including a visit to Mt Ainslie.
Saturday evening - casual dinner & drinks at Kingston Hotel.
Sunday - winery tour with lunch at a local winery. (For those thinking about booking flights, we should be finished by around 5pm on the Sunday and it's my intention that we'd be able to drop you off at the airport by around then.)

So far this is just a rough plan, but I'm hoping to finalise things in around a month once we have a better idea of the likely situation in December. Ideally I would have already locked this all in months ago, but the events of the past few months have made it difficult to plan so far in advance.

In the (hopefully) unlikely event that only people from some states/territories are permitted to travel to Canberra in December, we would probably still have a scaled-down version of the weekend for those lucky ones able to attend.

kookaburra75

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
There's also a range of serviced apartments in Canberra, which can be good value. There's the Adina Apartments in Kingston, about 100m away from the Kingston Pub, and near other restaurants, supermarkets etc

Lynda2475

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
Thanks for the update Matt. Im all booked in and provided ACT leaves NSW border open will be there for the full or scaled back version. But i have a 5:15pm Sunday flight so would be good if wine tour could get us back to CBR by 4pm (or i'll need to call an uber).

Mattg

Flights
My Map
Thanks for the update Matt. Im all booked in and provided ACT leaves NSW border open will be there for the full or scaled back version. But i have a 5:15pm Sunday flight so would be good if wine tour could get us back to CBR by 4pm (or i'll need to call an uber).
Will be able to confirm closer to the time, but you should be OK for your flight.

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Small drama today; Qantas changed/cancelled/changed 3 of my 4 flights HBA-xMEL-CBR-xMEL-HBA :oops: . Very nice lady in the HBA plat call centre got me going again, via SYD on the way up and I have to spend another lovely night in Canberra (Sunday) to get home again. Then hopefully not spending a couple of weeks in home iso after I get home. That would make Christmas shopping a bit fraught.

ps the e-mails I got for calling about the changes gave a 02 8222 XXXX number to call, which went through to a really bad line - I think diverted to someone working from home. Couldn't understand anything, so I called the Plat line and after a bit of a wait, got through. Its been so long since I flew QF they obviously D'tKWIA any more :(

Credit cards which earn frequent flyer points is a popular way to earn frequent flyer points. You can receive thousands of points on everyday spend. And, many of these cards offer generous signup bonuses! Compare to find the credit card that best suits your needs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Lynda2475

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
Qantas cancelled my SYD-CBR flight yesterday and rebooked me on a later flight means a plane change form a Boeing 717 to a De Havilland DHC-8 300 Series. Currently waiting on the phone to try and get it moved to an earlier flight on a 717, wait time is 41 mins grrrr.

** Edited - wait time was 1hr, flight moved earlier but now have received the e-ticket i notice the return flight is now a De Havilland oh well, maybe that will get changed too and i can get a later one, Took the opportunity to convert another flight credit to a Qantas Travel Pass with DSC needed to justify being on hold for so long.

Last edited:

knagelli

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I am looking forward to attend this event provided Dan opens up the Victorian borders by then. Also just curious to understand , is there any quarantine period currently for travelling to Canberra as everyone other state seems to be tough on Victorians.

Mattg

Flights
My Map
Also just curious to understand , is there any quarantine period currently for travelling to Canberra as everyone other state seems to be tough on Victorians.
Currently, I don't think Victorian residents are allowed to enter the ACT without an exemption unfortunately. ACT residents are required to self-isolate if they return from Victoria. Hopefully things will improve and this will change by December.

straitman

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Currently, I don't think Victorian residents are allowed to enter the ACT without an exemption unfortunately. ACT residents are required to self-isolate if they return from Victoria. Hopefully things will improve and this will change by December.
A lot of the rules are quite silly really.
In Gippsland there are no COVID cases but we cannot (yet) head to NSW or ACT for any reason but today I am in the Leper Colony (Melbourne) for a medical appointment and that’s acceptable.

JessicaTam

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I am looking forward to attend this event provided Dan opens up the Victorian borders by then. Also just curious to understand , is there any quarantine period currently for travelling to Canberra as everyone other state seems to be tough on Victorians.
Just for accuracy, Victoria has not closed its borders to any state. It is the other way around.

knagelli

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Just for accuracy, Victoria has not closed its borders to any state. It is the other way around.
Thanks @JessicaTam , I should have been clear.

Technically agree to your point however currently we are not allowed to travel out of Melbourne with 5km radius restriction unless it is exempted , so was trying to imply that.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunshineecocleaners