Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

AFF Gathering #14 in CBR on 4 - 6 December 2020

Added to Calendar: 04-12-20, 05-12-20, 06-12-20

support

Established Member
Administrator
**Expressions Of Interest are now open! If you are planning to come to this event, please let us know by completing this form.**

Canberra has been chosen as the AFF Annual Gathering destination for 2020, occurring over the weekend of the 4th to 6th December; this will be the second time the event has been held in the final month of the year. The average temperature range for December is 11.9ºC to 26.3ºC. The average rainfall is 53.2mm with 7 rainy days. It is Australia's eighth most populous city (as of June 2018) representing 1.83% of Australia.

Canberra has previously played host to an Annual Gathering, as the fifth city chosen in the fourth year (2011). On that occasion, 13 attendees made the journey. Canberra is not the first city to play host twice, with Melbourne previously taking that honour as the first (2008) and eighth (2014); Adelaide as the second (2008) and twelfth (2018); and more recently Sydney as the third (2009) and thirteenth (2019).

We are of course interested to hear your suggestions and ideas for the event, so together we can make it enjoyable for all, but with the dates locked in now, please feel free to solidify a place at the 2020 Annual Gathering.

Helping to organise this year will be @support, @Mattg. If you would like to play a role, please start a conversation with me and I shall add you to the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

support

Established Member
Administrator
Schedule

We are still finalising arrangements for the weekend. But here is a draft itinerary:

Friday 4th December
To start the weekend, we’ll be holding a dinner at Southern Cross Yacht Club, Yarralumla. There will be a fixed 3-course menu, and the cost will be $59 per person. Drinks will be available for purchase from the bar on the night.

Saturday 5th December – morning
There are a range of activities to choose from on Saturday. Each of the activities has a capacity limit of ~10 people. Alternatively, you can do your own thing and just join us for dinner in the evening.

• Saturday Activity Option 1 – Parliament House tour
We’ll meet at Parliament House and join a 30-minute public tour of the building. There is no cost for this activity – you’ll just need to make your own transport arrangements to/from Parliament House. Please note – this activity may not be able to run as it falls between parliamentary sitting weeks, and the building may be closed. We won’t know for sure until closer to the date.

• Saturday Activity Option 2 – visit to Australian War Memorial
Join other AFF members for a visit to Australian War Memorial. Please note that tours are not currently available, so you’ll be visiting as a guest. There is no cost for this activity – you’ll just need to make your own transport arrangements to/from Australian War Memorial.

• Saturday Activity Option 3 – Full-day winery tour (note – this event can only run if enough people express interest)
This will be a full-day winery tour with a maximum of 10 people, running from around 9.30am until 3.30pm. You’ll depart a central Canberra location around 9.30am, visiting at least 3 wineries in the region. The cost will be approximately $225/person (this is subject to change, depending on final numbers) and includes transport, all cellar door tastings, lunch at one of the vineyards and a professional guide for the day. Please note – this tour includes visits to wineries in NSW.

Saturday 5th December – evening
On Saturday evening, we’ll be holding a dinner at Kingston Hotel. Before the dinner, there will be an optional one-hour Frequent Flyer Points Masterclass + Q&A hosted by Matt Graham. This event is sponsored by Frequent Flyer Solutions and attendance is free, but you’ll need to register.

After this, the main dinner will commence around 7pm. We hope to have a guest speaker at this dinner. Members will be able to order and pay for food & drinks on the night – no pre-payment is required. But you will need to register as there is a limit of 31 people.

Sunday 6th December
On Sunday we have two tour options:

• Sunday Tour Option 1 – Mt Ainslie, Lanyon Homestead & Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve (note – this event can only run if enough people express interest)
Departing from a central Canberra location around 9.30am on Sunday morning, we’ll visit Mt Ainslie before heading to the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve in the south of Canberra, where you’ll see some of the local wildlife including koalas and we’ll stop for a short walk. Along the way, we’ll visit Lanyon Homestead for a heritage tour and lunch at the Barracks Café. We’ll return to the airport & city by around 5pm.

The cost will be approximately $80/person excluding lunch (this price is subject to change, depending on final numbers). This tour will remain entirely within the ACT and has a maximum capacity of 19 people.

• Sunday Tour Option 2 – Full-day winery tour (note – this event can only run if enough people express interest)
This will be a full-day winery tour with a maximum of 10 people, running from around 9.30am until 3.30pm. You’ll depart a central Canberra location around 9.30am, visiting at least 3 wineries in the region. The cost will be approximately $225/person (this is subject to change, depending on final numbers) and includes transport, all cellar door tastings, lunch at one of the vineyards and a professional guide for the day. Please note – this tour includes visits to wineries in NSW.

The winery tours on Saturday & Sunday will be identical. If there is insufficient demand to run winery tours on both days, this will run only on one of the days.

Last edited by a moderator:

support

Established Member
Administrator
Travel/Accommodation Details

Coming soon.

Matt_01

Established Member
Flights
My Map
I was a "cordie" 30+ years ago and have only been back to CBR on the odd occasion. Gold/Platinum.....ish, maybe for a trip down memory lane.

Last edited:

Mattg

Flights
My Map
Well since I'm going to be helping organise this, I guess I'm Platinum to attend :)

I no longer live in Canberra but still visit regularly. Looking forward to next year's gathering!

Vinomofo is the best wine deals site on the planet. Good wines, real people and epic deals, without all the bowties and bs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Gold for now. My old stomping ground also 40 odd years ago. Still remember my first sailing lesson & a certain bridge.

Reactions: ALH

AIRwin

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
I've just given my friend in Canberra more than a year's notice for me to crash with him at his house...

• Haha
Reactions: Hvr

tuapekastar

Established Member
Flights
My Map
This does not clash with with my other annual event, as mostly happens. Organisers, you’re slipping! :p
Way too early to call, but very interested.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carsonjohn404