Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

The way out of lockdowns etc in Australia

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
I'm happy to post on this thread again. Another sign of return to normal (touch wood ... ) :)

Bunnings snags on sale again this weekend

Bunnings’ community sausage sizzles will return this weekend in Tassie at selected stores, as the hardware begins a carefully phased reintroduction of the fundraising favourite.

Bunnings chief Deb Poole said she understands hungry punters have been champing at the bit to jag a snag, as things slowly begin to return to normal in the island state.

drron

Veteran Member
Solutions
Over 3 months from the last post on this thread we are still basically arguing the same thing.At least the NT,SA and soon Tasmania have at least opened up to some travel.However WA and QLD still being obstinate.
So a couple of articles on lockdowns.First there are now quite a few people questioning the continuing benefit.

Even the Guardian UK is changing it's tune.

Though this article is probably closest to the truth-nobody really knows how good or bad lockdowns are.

And possibly what may be in the future for Melbourne.Could there be an Escape to the Country?

Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Flashback

Enthusiast
And possibly what may be in the future for Melbourne.Could there be an Escape to the Country?

Unfortunately though some employers use that as an opportunity to pay people less. For example, in certain cities around the world there's a view that your wage is higher purely because of location (compared to other locations in the same country) - that annoys me, you should be paid on the merits of your skills and not a varied amount based on where you (choose) to live.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Solutions
Unfortunately though some employers use that as an opportunity to pay people less. For example, in certain cities around the world there's a view that your wage is higher purely because of location (compared to other locations in the same country) - that annoys me, you should be paid on the merits of your skills and not a varied amount based on where you (choose) to live.

Doesn't that come down to the negotiation of your salary? We used to get a 'London allowance' because the price of property was so much higher than elsewhere in the country.

Flashback

Enthusiast
Doesn't that come down to the negotiation of your salary? We used to get a 'London allowance' because the price of property was so much higher than elsewhere in the country.

No, what I'm saying are that some employers are try to retrospectively change salary based on change in location etc. Some seem to have contracts that allow that which is crazy, I never let such things into any of my contracts. I don't do salary anyway, I'm freelance all the way. Property price in the Greater Manchester area is high too, as are any of the nice country areas, have a look at the Cotswolds for example so I don't think it's a good excuse.

jakeseven7

Established Member
Solutions
No, what I'm saying are that some employers are try to retrospectively change salary based on change in location etc. Some seem to have contracts that allow that which is crazy, I never let such things into any of my contracts. I don't do salary anyway, I'm freelance all the way. Property price in the Greater Manchester area is high too, as are any of the nice country areas, have a look at the Cotswolds for example so I don't think it's a good excuse.

Yup Facebook do that, pay you less if you live regionally for the same job.... But what else would we expect from Facebook :)

ethernet

Solutions
Not employers, but their HR. Oncall and overtime pay have mostly also gone down the gurgler, as out-of-bandwidth working hours. (The opposite how a lawyer charges - in 8 minute blocks). While HR may think themselves smart, many banks have found out offshore outsourcing failing totally on SLA outages. The good thing is undertrained people allow some contractors to do really well.
Plus many managers are seen to be ineffective, yet lesser paid employees refuse to do any management. Once Covid gets better, the exodus of irreplaceable staff will be funny.

ethernet

Solutions
Over 3 months from the last post on this thread we are still basically arguing the same thing.At least the NT,SA and soon Tasmania have at least opened up to some travel.However WA and QLD still being obstinate.
So a couple of articles on lockdowns.First there are now quite a few people questioning the continuing benefit.

Even the Guardian UK is changing it's tune.

Though this article is probably closest to the truth-nobody really knows how good or bad lockdowns are.

Nobody has published Operations Research (OR) where outcomes and costs are assigned, ok maybe Sweden and China did. The probability of new breakouts/waves has increased, the exponential costs are growing (looks like vaccine has low efficacy). Subject to not knowing if T cells 'remember' what to do. What is a success is deaths ARE being successfully politically managed.

I predict when helicopter money ends, evictions and foreclosures start, there will be voter backlash.

drron

Veteran Member
Solutions
Even if as is likely and the vaccine is only 30-50% effective it will still change the way Covid will effect us.It almost certainly will become another seasonal flu.Here is one article on that.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
checkinnmorocco