New ADL Airport... The Run Down (Now with Pictures) | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

New ADL Airport... The Run Down (Now with Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPG

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
172
Well I managed to get myself to the new Adelaide Airport today... It was an adventure in itself getting here! Flying via MEL on O7.

I have taken some pictures, but I need to wait till I get home, as I left the cord at home.

I arrived on QF685 from MEL and the first major difference is the glass aerobridges... They are pretty cool, as you can see everything that is going on the tarmac... It took a little while for QF to get it to the plane, as it is obviously new to them!

Inside the terminal, it still has the 'new' smell, even though it is 4 months old! It is bright, spacious, and relatively well laid out (everything the old terminal was not!)

I headed through to landside, and had a look around at the baggage carrosels, there are 4 of them, 2 Virgin/2 Qantas, and I guess that the International Flights would just use one of them...





Downstairs there is also booths for the Car Rental Companies (Hertz/Burget/Avis/Thrifty/Europcar)... These are located near the road in the middle of all of the baggage carousels. Outside there is a Car Rental Building, and the cars are behind that.







I headed back inside and check-in is split on either side of the security entrance to airside. Rex and Virgin on the Left and Qantas and Jetstar on the right. There were no International Flights Checking in, but I think (from the closed positions) that they would be between Qantas and Jetstar (but this is just a guess though!)





There are many security positions (almost as many as QF in Sydney), so it was very easy to head through... Going through was the only time this today where I have not been tested for explosives... I guess I get 'randomly' picked more often because of the way I look or something!

Once airside, I walked to the far end (left side) of the terminal where Virgin Blue is... I can understand all of the complaints about the long distances, as it is far.... There are only one or two DJ gates which are not a long walk away!

Qantas seem to have been luckier, the gates start immediately in front of Security (where as with Virgins, you have to walk past the International area to get to the first gate. As far as I could see, Jetstar was at the far right end of the terminal (I could see a Jetstar plane, but couldn't be bothered walking all the way down to the end.

To get onto the plane, you put your boarding pass in the machines upstairs, then go down a ramp and then onto the glass aerobridges...



The exception to this is for international flights, where you are already downstairs... There was a MH 772 at the terminal when I was there.





Next I ended up in the Qantas Club... There are two entrances (20 metres apart), outside gate 21 and they both end up in the same place. The desk is in the centre, and again, you have to past reception on either side). Inside the lounge is a new looking SYD T3 Lounge. It is spacious and U shaped. The food serving area is directly in front of where you walk in, and then there is the back wall, which is all glass looking out towards to vehicle ramp for arrivals. The Bar is around on the other side of the U. I hope that makes sense... Otherwise I will try and explain it a little better!





I thought QF and Telstra had been sneaky and were blocking use of the free wireless, but then I went out and had a wander around, and I couldn't fiind the free wireless anywhere. :twisted:

So there you have it... The new terminal is infinitely better than the old ones, even though probably not perfect (but what airport is?)

Oh, One last thing... Just before security, there is the plaque stating when the airport was opened... I had a quick chuckle when I say it... 4 October 2005 by the Honorable John Howard (I won't go there!)



I think we will all enjoy it when we go to Adelaide... and answering a question posed a couple of months back... Yes, Adelaide does have an Airport! :D

D P G

edited to change free wireless paragraph
edited to add photos
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,411
Flights
My Map
Good report DPG, I'll be checking on Tuesday to see if they have transplanted any of Cooper's Ales. ;)
One quick note:
DPG said:
... I headed through to landside, and had a look around at the baggage carrosels, there are 4 of them, 2 Virgin/2 Qantas, and I guess that the International Flights would just use one of them...
From the Terminal Map, you can observe a separate Carousel for Interantional PAX before immigration.
 

DPG

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
172
serfty said:
Good report DPG, I'll be checking on Tuesday to see if they have transplanted any of Cooper's Ales. ;)
One quick note:
DPG said:
... I headed through to landside, and had a look around at the baggage carrosels, there are 4 of them, 2 Virgin/2 Qantas, and I guess that the International Flights would just use one of them...
From the Terminal Map, you can observe a separate Carousel for Interantional PAX before immigration.
Cheers Sefty... I didn't see any signs, so I made an assumption... Never a good plan...

Can someone tell me how to post images to my post... I can't seem to work it out... Do I need them somewhere in Cyberspace?

D P G
 

Simon L.

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
13
Re: New ADL Airport... The Run Down

DPG, please allow me to make a few clarifications. Thanks.

DPG said:
I headed back inside and check-in is split on either side of the security entrance to airside. Rex and Virgin on the Left and Qantas and Jetstar on the right. There were no International Flights Checking in, but I think (from the closed positions) that they would be between Qantas and Jetstar (but this is just a guess though!)
Because the new terminal is in fact a Multi-User Integrated Terminal, though there are general rules on where each airline's check-in area is supposed to be (like Rex & Jetstar at both ends etc), but airlines could pretty much use any check-in desk that is available at the time, so you could see some check-in desks at the Virgin Blue zone do check-in for an international flight, so are Qantas check-in desks etc. This allows the terminal to maxmise the efficient use of space available, so we don't have to end up with hundreds of empty check-in desks.

DPG said:
I think Qantas and Telstra have been very sneaky though, as there is meant to be free wireless in the Airport, and I couldn't pick it up... I had to back out to the gates to send this.
There is a free wireless Internet service jointly operated by Adelaide Airport Limited and Internode. For further information, please visit http://www.aal.com.au/t1/wifi.aspx.

Cheers.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,411
Flights
My Map
Re: New ADL Airport... The Run Down

Simon L. said:
...
DPG said:
I think Qantas and Telstra have been very sneaky though, as there is meant to be free wireless in the Airport, and I couldn't pick it up... I had to back out to the gates to send this.
There is a free wireless Internet service jointly operated by Adelaide Airport Limited and Internode. For further information, please visit http://www.aal.com.au/t1/wifi.aspx.

Cheers.
Methinks DPG is implying that this is not available in the QP. The free wireless internet is pobably shielded or in some other way blocked off in the Qantas lounge.
 

DPG

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
172
Re: New ADL Airport... The Run Down

Simon L. said:
DPG, please allow me to make a few clarifications.

DPG said:
I think Qantas and Telstra have been very sneaky though, as there is meant to be free wireless in the Airport, and I couldn't pick it up... I had to back out to the gates to send this.
There is a free wireless Internet service jointly operated by Adelaide Airport Limited and Internode. For further information, please visit http://www.aal.com.au/t1/wifi.aspx.
Well in the end I couldn't use the Free Wireless anyway, as it wasn't there... I sat down in several places around the terminal and I never picked up anything other than Telstra...

I had just typed it in the QP and then when I got online (by paying for it in the QP) I copied and pasted.

I have ammended my original post.

D P G
 

DPG

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
172
Re: New ADL Airport... The Run Down

serfty said:
Methinks DPG is implying that this is not available in the QP. The free wireless internet is pobably shielded or in some other way blocked off in the Qantas lounge.
And Methinks that the free wireless wasn't working...

:D

D P G
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
Re: New ADL Airport... The Run Down

DPG said:
Going through was the only time this today where I have not been tested for explosives... I guess I get 'randomly' picked more often because of the way I look or something!
It sure isnt random. They usually pick the first pax through if there has been a few minutes without anyone going through particular line. If I see an opening that is particularly quiet I may fumble with getting stuff back in pockets to make sure I am not first out and reduce chance of getting picked. Seems to work mostly.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,411
Flights
My Map
OT to: New ADL Airport... The Run Down

Kiwi Flyer said:
DPG said:
Going through was the only time this today where I have not been tested for explosives... I guess I get 'randomly' picked more often because of the way I look or something!
It sure isnt random. They usually pick the first pax through if there has been a few minutes without anyone going through particular line. If I see an opening that is particularly quiet I may fumble with getting stuff back in pockets to make sure I am not first out and reduce chance of getting picked. Seems to work mostly.
ROFLMA :D

This is exactly what I do when I see the person with the vacuum cleaner wand standing idle. It always seems to take a little bit longer to repack my laptop, as I carefully watch out of the corner of my eye. :twisted:
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,266
Flights
My Map
Re: New ADL Airport... The Run Down

Kiwi Flyer said:
DPG said:
Going through was the only time this today where I have not been tested for explosives... I guess I get 'randomly' picked more often because of the way I look or something!
It sure isnt random. They usually pick the first pax through if there has been a few minutes without anyone going through particular line. If I see an opening that is particularly quiet I may fumble with getting stuff back in pockets to make sure I am not first out and reduce chance of getting picked. Seems to work mostly.
Lol. You guys know my secret too. Let some other poor person be first off the ranks. If someone is being checked when I'm through, I just pick up all my goodies and beeline it to the escalators etc. They can be pocketted later.

Works most of the time, unless they pick you specifically and wait for you.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
Re: New ADL Airport... The Run Down

Mal said:
Lol. You guys know my secret too. Let some other poor person be first off the ranks. If someone is being checked when I'm through, I just pick up all my goodies and beeline it to the escalators etc. They can be pocketted later.

Works most of the time, unless they pick you specifically and wait for you.
Any pattern can be deduced if you travel often enough :D

Same here if all the wanders are busy, get out as fast as possible. Only once has this not worked, when they picked me out and determined to do me regardless of how fast or slow I was, even making me wait while finishes off the pax she was doing. I put it down to having some kind of quota and getting close to end of shift was behind.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,411
Flights
My Map
Yeahm sometimes you have no choice; like 11 days ago I was the only one going through Syd T1 xray at 7:20pm.

10 Staff, all for l'il ol' me. :roll:
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,679
Flights
My Map
Re: New ADL Airport... The Run Down

I flew out of ADL on Frdiay night and have to say that the new airport (notwithstanding some teething problems) is a massive improvement on the previous airport terminal.

DPG said:
Qantas seem to have been luckier, the gates start immediately in front of Security (where as with Virgins, you have to walk past the International area to get to the first gate. As far as I could see, Jetstar was at the far right end of the terminal (I could see a Jetstar plane, but couldn't be bothered walking all the way down to the end.
The QF flight I took left from gate 13, and it was a bit of a hike down the terminal to get there. The flight was also delayed as the airbridge wasn't working properly and they took some time getting the inbounds flights passengers off.

DPG said:
Next I ended up in the Qantas Club... There are two entrances (20 metres apart), outside gate 21 and they both end up in the same place. The desk is in the centre, and again, you have to past reception on either side). Inside the lounge is a new looking SYD T3 Lounge. It is spacious and U shaped. The food serving area is directly in front of where you walk in, and then there is the back wall, which is all glass looking out towards to vehicle ramp for arrivals. The Bar is around on the other side of the U. I hope that makes sense... Otherwise I will try and explain it a little better!
I thought the Coopers on tap was a nice touch :)
 

scibo10

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
173
DPG, again thanks for your report.

Just wondering if you had a chance to scope out the Virgin Blue Room?
The Adelaide Blue Room is supposedly the first lounge to be 'relaunched' as a business lounge, similar to the Qantas Club.
 

Simon L.

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
13
scibo10 said:
DPG, again thanks for your report.

Just wondering if you had a chance to scope out the Virgin Blue Room?
The Adelaide Blue Room is supposedly the first lounge to be 'relaunched' as a business lounge, similar to the Qantas Club.
DJ hasn't opened up their Blue Room @ T1 yet.

I put the question onto a few DJ supervisors in ADL, none of them could give me a definite answer.

However, if I do hear anything at work or from those DJ folks, I will keep everyone updated here.

Cheers.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
Simon L. said:
DJ hasn't opened up their Blue Room @ T1 yet.
Its not as if they havn't had plenty of opportunity to be working on getting it ready.
 

DPG

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
172
Simon L. said:
scibo10 said:
DPG, again thanks for your report.

Just wondering if you had a chance to scope out the Virgin Blue Room?
The Adelaide Blue Room is supposedly the first lounge to be 'relaunched' as a business lounge, similar to the Qantas Club.
DJ hasn't opened up their Blue Room @ T1 yet.

I put the question onto a few DJ supervisors in ADL, none of them could give me a definite answer.

However, if I do hear anything at work or from those DJ folks, I will keep everyone updated here.

Cheers.
Well that makes sense... I saw a sign for the Blue Room pointing towards the Virgin/REX side of the terminal, and couldn't find the Blue Room...

I remember doing a double take when I saw in normal font Virgin Blue Blue Room (the double blue threw me).

D P G
 

DPG

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
172
NM said:
Simon L. said:
DJ hasn't opened up their Blue Room @ T1 yet.
Its not as if they havn't had plenty of opportunity to be working on getting it ready.
Speaking of which... The QP wasn't completed either... There were areas still blocked off (only with queue dividers), no computers/internet & some TV's missing, etc.

There were a lot of managers (noted by the lack of uniform and telling the people in uniform what to do!) running around checking that everything and everyone was okay...

D P G
 

QF WP

Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
15,719
Flights
My Map
Thanks for the inside photo's DPG and precise report. I was there in Jan, while it was still a white elephtant; and have another trip planned in April, so will finaly get to use it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,621
Messages
1,884,931
Members
49,503
Latest member
Borgbear
Top