Card Promotions 125,000 Qantas Points and reduced first-year annual card fee with the NAB Qantas Rewards Signature (Point Hacks)

Note (from PH):

"The signup bonus is split into two parts, with the first 100,000 Qantas Points to be received after spending $3,000 or more in the first 60 days from approval and an additional 25,000 Qantas Points after the annual fee for the second year is billed on your account."

So not good value to stick around for the additional 25k points IMO.

Edit: can apply direct with NAB and get 120k points for $295. Not bad value these days (also IMO).

I noticed this on the page that link takes you to:

You’ll need your NAB ID to verify you’re a NAB customer, which is the 8-digit number found on the back of your NAB card or in the profile section of the NAB app

Does that mean it's a targeted offer?

This was a nice surprise: I applied for this card on 15.03.21. It was approved the next day. I kept it for 2 months, paid the $295 annual fee, and received the 90,000 bonus points. I cancelled the card today (which has to be done through a Chat link on internet banking), and was given a pro rata refund for the annual fee of $270. So I have ended up with over 90,000 points for an annual fee of $25. I've never been offered a pro rata annual fee refund before with other credit cards. I'll do it all again this time next year hopefully.

This was a nice surprise: I applied for this card on 15.03.21. It was approved the next day. I kept it for 2 months, paid the $295 annual fee, and received the 90,000 bonus points. I cancelled the card today (which has to be done through a Chat link on internet banking), and was given a pro rata refund for the annual fee of $270. So I have ended up with over 90,000 points for an annual fee of $25. I've never been offered a pro rata annual fee refund before with other credit cards. I'll do it all again this time next year hopefully.
Oh wow, never heard of this refund AFee. nice one.

I was rejected for my 1st ever CC via Qantas Money few weeks back, was a nightmare I tell ya, I couldn't understand why, anyhow I came to the conclusion that I currently hold a CC issued by Citi Bank & the Qantas one was issued by CitiBank also, so maybe they didn't want to give me 2. Anybody experienced this?

So thanks as usual to AFF, I came across this thread, applied & approved next day also with very minimal proof of documents.

Much friendlier customer service experience I tell ya.

I wasn't a NAB customer so the ID was given on application to open internet banking.

I doubt I'll cancel once 90k points arrive.
Was going to get the few extra Qantas points to gain the Points Club, but looking at it from my Gold Qantas Status, it offers me nothing, have Gold till Dec 2022, nothing in it to benefit me, would pass on/gift the 2 lounge passes & prefer flying Virgin anyway.

nab application error in 2 attempts. lending person heard about this issue but would not escalate or know if its being fixed..just say IT usually would fix it, try later.
using ph deal instead of 120k deal. what if my ac is not targeted, end up geting 90k🙄

I'm about to apply for this one, looks to be the most lucrative one out there now (already have AmEx). I have 2 other old cards that I need to cancel (reminder to self, this game only works if I remember to cancel) and a 4 month old one I got 100k miles for.

Questions:
- Have we established if this works for non-NAB clients? I read contradictory things.
- Should I cancel the other 2 first for maximum chance of being approved?
- If yes, should I wait a month those closures to be reported to credit rating agencies?

Thanks for the guidance, all.

I
I'm about to apply for this one, looks to be the most lucrative one out there now (already have AmEx). I have 2 other old cards that I need to cancel (reminder to self, this game only works if I remember to cancel) and a 4 month old one I got 100k miles for.

Questions:
- Have we established if this works for non-NAB clients? I read contradictory things.
- If yes, should I wait a month those closures to be reported to credit rating agencies?

I was not a NAB customer & was approved no problems on pay slips only as evidence documents.
You receive a NAB ID on approval

I'm unsure if cancelling existing cards makes a difference. Just don't say you have them on your application.

I

I was not a NAB customer & was approved no problems on pay slips only as evidence documents.
You receive a NAB ID on approval

I'm unsure if cancelling existing cards makes a difference. Just don't say you have them on your application.
Thanks for that info @MooTime . Glad to know I don't need to be an existing NAB client.

Re the existing cards, won't NAB see those as open cards (albeit at $0 balance) when they run my credit report? That's why I am wondering if I should cancel them first and let the closures be reported through to credit agencies.

If you don't want to close your other credit cards you are not using, reducing their credit limits on line would help.

Questions:

I applied and was approved. I happened to cancel two other cards, one about 5 weeks prior and the other a few days before my application. I didn't list them on my application. However, NAB contacted me as they still showed on my credit record. I explained they were recently cancelled. They asked if I had the cancellation letter for them. I did for one and they requested I provide it. There was no request to provide proof that the more recently one as indeed cancelled.

If you think having that extra credit the other two cards might be the difference in being accepted or not, then yes, cancel them.

Thanks for the hand-holding on this. Was approved and will wallow in my 120k pts once I hit my spend. Then a speedy closure - hopefully with a prorated annual fee refund - and I can watch for another juicy NAB offer 12 months down the line.

Thanks for the hand-holding on this. Was approved and will wallow in my 120k pts once I hit my spend. Then a speedy closure - hopefully with a prorated annual fee refund - and I can watch for another juicy NAB offer 12 months down the line.

Just keep in mind you don't get the full 120k point after hitting the spend. Part of the points are only paid out once you renew at the end of 12 months.

@Daver6 , are you sure about that? T&Cs indicate I should get full 120k w/in 60 days after spend.

tbh, when I first applied, the staggered 100k pts (and then extra if I stuck around one yr) was what I was expecting - and I'd ditch before then - but the fine print makes it look even better.

1625293387518.png

I got the full 120,000 points on my second statement.

If I remember correctly, there have been a couple of different offers: some with points split between two tranches, some with all points in the first year.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back