Question - When is next anticipated double SC promotion? | Page 13 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Question When is next anticipated double SC promotion?

RSD

Any time now for a DSC promotion would be good - now have to go to Oslo at the end of September, and New Orleans in February - a DSC on those would get me to Platinum for the first time in a few years.

tdimdad

Double points to Asia here, too. If their previous pattern holds, this might be followed by a DSC offer within couple of weeks, through it remains to be seen how QF frames that offer - may be personalised and limited.

RSD

Was going to wait for a double points offer before booking my New Orleans trip next February but now that I've got an Oslo trip to book for the end of September I'm hanging out for a DSC offer as together those trips will move me from Gold to Plat.

levelnine

Qantas find themselves in a bit of a bind now.

They've set the expectation for regular DSC offers. So a lot of people are holding off making bookings in anticipation of the next DSC. Thus there is a lot of money sitting in customers' pockets that could be in Qantas' pocket if they announce a DSC. And that money could be permanently lost if customers decide to book with competitors.

But they're clearly trying to move away from global DSC offers (eg rise of targeted offers) because there are costs for Qantas. Eg the more people that obtain SG/WP, the more their own lounges are put under strain (eg Singapore requiring a whole new lounge to be built) and the more they are paying to other OW carriers for Qantas customers to access those lounges.

Doctore1003

they're clearly trying to move away from global DSC offers (eg rise of targeted offers)
I don't think we can conclude this yet. It used to be the norm that we'd see one (or maybe two?) global DSC offers per year, then last year we had three (Feb, Aug, Oct). This year we've already had one in Feb. Let's just wait and see.

SeatBackForward

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I'm sitting on some bookings for 2020 waiting for a DSC in which case I'm likely to book premium cabins. If one doesn't come up before the hard stop of the dates for flying, then it will be cheapest Y flights I can source - potentially with competitors or even non-OW airlines.

I wonder if QF go to the extent of looking at past bookings (when booked, when flown etc) to determine when to offer special deals. For eg. this particular travellers always goes to X destination in Y month, and seems to book Z months in advance. They haven't this year, maybe they need an enticement?

RichardMEL

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I think the number of people holding off waiting for a DSC would be pretty small in relation to all demand/bookings made. It's a tiny tiny subset of people who care enough to make use of these (ie: runs and the like). I think most punters book when they book.. Maybe wait for a sale fare if flexible but if they gotta go they gotta go.. I doubt DSC is a major motivator for many outside of communities like AFF.

In other words I doubt QF is seeing a HUGE change in booking patterns that one could attribute to lack of a promo.

I would agree with levelnine that it's very clear that QFF is being smarter now (or trying to be, anyway :) ) with targeting. We've all seen over the past six-nine months the offers on certain routes and some for DP and various bonus levels of SC between (reported) 25% and 75%. This is very different to the previous more general offers, or even the fairly regular +50% bonus targeted offers. Even looking at the conditions for the DP offer that has gone out over the past day or so (I have seen a copy, but not gotten one myself) is the travel windows are very specific and even smaller than the previous global DSC (and exclude things like school hols in the promo terms I saw). Clearly honing in on periods of lower travel demand to stimulate that.

Will there be a general one again? Maybe.. Maybe not. I am far less confident this year of seeing one thna I was last year (and it's all abou tme :p ). I'd love to see one. I'd be happy to see one.. but I really do not expect one, so am not basing my travel or bookings around there being one.

I await a surprise :)

TheRiddler

Flights
My Map
I think the number of people holding off waiting for a DSC would be pretty small in relation to all demand/bookings made
But dont they know how important we are? :p

I for one am holding onto $10k+ of international bookings that need to be taken over the next few months. I'm LTG so tossing up whether to use a DSC promo to go for WP or see if VA run a promo that will give me the chance of Gold/Plat status with them. Will probably who blinks first in the next 10 days.

Mike65

Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
But dont they know how important we are? :p

I for one am holding onto $10k+ of international bookings that need to be taken over the next few months. I'm LTG so tossing up whether to use a DSC promo to go for WP or see if VA run a promo that will give me the chance of Gold/Plat status with them. Will probably who blinks first in the next 10 days.
You said it Riddler and I quote: "I for one" 😏

sxc

With the targeted offers, are they actually for a specific route?

In my case, I will have searched for a particular destination (eg Auckland) and then I will receive an email a few days later with the subject line "Fly to New Zealand, get 50% more Qantas points", but the offer is actually open for any destination. So I'm wondering for those who report that the targeted offer is only for a particular route, is that really the case, or are you being misled by the email subject?

oz_mark

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
With the targeted offers, are they actually for a specific route?

In my case, I will have searched for a particular destination (eg Auckland) and then I will receive an email a few days later with the subject line "Fly to New Zealand, get 50% more Qantas points", but the offer is actually open for any destination. So I'm wondering for those who report that the targeted offer is only for a particular route, is that really the case, or are you being misled by the email subject?
The ones I have had have varied. You really do need to read the details.

TheRiddler

Flights
My Map
OK, QF opened with the Double Points earlier this week, I returned serve yesterday with an urgent domestic booking for next week, hoping they can now play a winning shot down the line with a full DSC promo in the next couple of days!

TheRiddler

Flights
My Map
So the early August timeframe has been and gone and no sign of the promotion. Looks as though I'm going to give the KrisFlyer status chase a go instead.

mrsterryn

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I haven't been targeted for a double status offer nor have I seen one offered for some months .

Is it likely they are on the way out ?

mviy

Established Member
I think there was an offer covering flights to the end of this month. So one would have expected there to be a new offer any time, but there has been some talk that QF may be trying to target their offers more and be less generous.

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

• Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcmanimm

Currently Active Users