Tech issues - seats no longer blocked for gold/platinum? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Tech issues - seats no longer blocked for gold/platinum?

Sludge321

Flights
My Map
I noticed today when checking a seat map that all seats (apart from Economy X) now seem to be available for selection even when not logged in to my Velocity account.

I'm guessing this is probably a temporary tech blip, but I guess VA could have just abandoned blocking the forward seats for their Gold/Platinum members maybe?

clipped_wings

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I just tried to manouvre my sons around their Economy X seating on an upcoming trip. But when I move them, I get a warning saying "you are selecting a standard seat and will lose all Economy X benefits if you proceed". It also displays refund I will get into my travel bank. Naturally, I have to abandon the move.

FWIW - I was trying to move them from row 23 into row 22 of a B777. And unless the Earth just fell of its axis - I am pretty sure I am still in the Economy X cabin....

lewyVA

I had to change a reward booking seat for my partner (no status) on the weekend and was offered a row 6 seat,, I assumed it was because I was WG and talking to the Gold call centre, but perhaps not!

Bagpuss

Wonder if they are going to make changes and allow (non-status) passengers to pay extra to sit in the forward section of the cabin (like SQ do).
If it's a glitch, they are taking their time in fixing it ... But I guess that's no surprise.

bullerdude

AFF Supporter
Just did a dummy booking without logging into my VA account and was able to select up to Row 6 - looks like it is definitely not being reserved for Gold atm.

Hmm...

clipped_wings

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Dummy booking for SYD-LAX return does the same thing. Row 27 and back is freely available for non status pax.

Quite a sensational benefit for anyone who isn't familiar with the usual protocol.

nlagalle

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I noticed today when checking a seat map that all seats (apart from Economy X) now seem to be available for selection even when not logged in to my Velocity account.

I'm guessing this is probably a temporary tech blip, but I guess VA could have just abandoned blocking the forward seats for their Gold/Platinum members maybe?
Economy x has always been available to purchase... regardless of status

Sludge321

Flights
My Map
Economy x has always been available to purchase... regardless of status
Yep that's right, and a couple of others have already mentioned this above too. Poor terminology/description on my part in my original post, sorry! (and I can't edit it any more). I meant to describe how "regular" seats previously unavailable to those without status were (or still are?) able to be selected by anyone. Economy X was still the same as before and I wasn't trying to focus/mention on that.

nlagalle

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Ok that makes sense.. I can agree there is something different as I booked flights for my mother in law and I could select row 7 and she is only silver..

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dajan