Platinum "anytime" lounge Access ceases from 1 February 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not what their website says... It say's access is available with an ONWARDS flight on DJ.
Irrespective it is available, though as I said it is not well advertised. I have asked and used access at several (not all) lounges and that was the response. Whether it is for all lounge members or Gold members only I do not know.

If it is Gold only it would fit in with the 'Certain V Australia Guests and Velocity Gold Members may be eligible to access the Lounge's of V Australia and Velocity Airline Partners when travelling internationally' clause.

Well actually they are. QF spend millions trying to brand FF'ers into thinking Platinum is the best they have to offer - the finest of everything. First class check-in, First class lounges... priority this, priority that... Neil Perry bottled water from the center of antarctica - exclusive for you Mr & Mrs Platinum.

Then QF go and totally wipe out an entire benefit of Platinum.

Words not matching actions is NEVER a good sign and ALWAYS cause for alarm.

Lets add in the ongoing deception that is domestic priority boarding for Platinum flyers. Does not happen, yet it is proudly displayed on the Qantas website.

The answer of course is no. From Virgin Blue's own website

Oh with DJ you can buy single entry, but even at $35 a pop you still need to be travelling on Virgin Blue that day.

Why are you bringing in irrelevance, classic straw man argument. The thread is about Qantas lounge access not Virgin lounge access.

So in summary:

Domestic lounges, Virgin Blue 6, Qantas 20+ (including regional), So to score QF gets 1 point, so QF=1, DJ=0
Anytime access. Neither so still QF=1 DJ=0
Arrivals access: QF+1, so QF=2, DJ=0
International access. QF+1, so QF=3, DJ=0
Domestic Business lounges for Platinums. QF+1, so QF=4, DJ=0
Access to lounges of alliance partners. QF+1, so QF=5, DJ=0.

Perhaps you need to read up of Virgin blue a bit more, you're wrong on most of your points.

For a start having more lounges is useless if one doesn't fly to those places. A less biased assessment would be:

Domestic lounges everywhere they fly, QF=0, DJ=0
Anytime access. Neither so still QF=0 DJ=0
Arrivals access: QF+1 DJ+1, so QF=1, DJ=1
International access. QF+1 DJ+1, so QF=2, DJ=2
Domestic Business lounges for Platinums. QF+1, so QF=3, DJ=2
Access to lounges of alliance partners. QF+1 DJ=+1, so QF=4, DJ=3
Expresso coffee DJ+1, QF=4, DJ=4
Priority boarding for top tier DJ+1, QF=4, DJ=5.

I did not insult anyone, so please leave it allone.

It seems you are not listening. I feel very insulted by you writing that all replies were extremely selfish. I feel further insulted when I asked you to justify labelling my post as extremely selfish your response was to tell me to grow up. So yes, you have, in fact, insulted me.

Why do they pay? Simple nothing is for free in this world. Everything always costs someone something.

Everything may cost something. But as a QF platinum flyer QF allow me access to the QF lounge when I fly on an alliance airline. Are you really trying to claim that another airline is going to pay Qantas for providing a qantas benefit to a qantas frequent flyer. Get real.

No I am not missing the point, but your argument above has nothing what so ever to do with anytime lounge access. If you choose to fly to the Gold Coast on Virgin Blue because they are better than Jetstar (no argument here BTW) then fine, but why should you then be entitled to use the Qantas lounge? What do you do on the return trip where there is NO Qantas lounge or for that matter a DJ lounge.

Well it is my point and your reponses demonstrate to me that you do not understand what I'm talking about. :-|
The argument has everything to do with the removal of anytime lounge access. Qantas are removing that access to stop people flying non-qantas, inter alia, on routes that qantas has jetstarised. Qantas is trying to force their most loyal customers to fly with Jetstar as if it is any kind of substitute for a Qantas service. What is the next route that Qantas is going to Jetstarise? It says to me shove your 1400+SC of flying and the premium airline benefits because were going to stick you onto a Jetstar whenever we wish and you will be persona non gratia if you choose better service over Jetstar. Taken for granted - much!

As for Qantas giving the competitors a free kick, IMO letting a Virgin Blue customer use the Qantas lounge is giving them a free kick.

What is a bigger free kick for DJ, letting me into a QF lounge 12 to 16 times a year and getting 84 to 88 paid flights, or enhancing me into 50 paid flights to DJ and 50 to QF? It is also pure business for me to assess if Qantas values my loyalty.

All well and good, but the other product in Australia at least is far from that of Qantas. What only 6 lounges with even more restrictive access agreements, no arrivals access, no international lounge access rights, how can the two even be compared? Maybe with the changes that are coming at DJ there may be some worry for Qantas, but for the time being I think they are doing ok and are not too worried that a few people might take their bat and ball and fly with DJ all because Qantas have taken anytime access off them.

Only 1 airline has made improvements to the FF program and actually wants more revenue in the door. Anyone who has any clue about business knows that if you don't continue to evolve and improve the product offerring (particularly in a service based business), one becomes complacent.

Sure DJ don't have their act together and have a way to go, but they'll sure be putting a bigger dent in the QF revenues. And once top-tier Qantas members start to try DJ and realise it's not all that bad and can see DJ trying to earn their loyalty - we'll see a steady rapid shift away from Qantas spend towards Virgin Blue premium products.

Heck, if that weren't already enough - this thread is starting to rank well in google under Qantas Platinum Benefits. This is how businesses get destroyed guys.... (take note university business & marketing students)

Like terminal cancer to the QF bottom line.

Lets add in the ongoing deception that is domestic priority boarding for Platinum flyers. Does not happen, yet it is proudly displayed on the Qantas website.

Why are you bringing in irrelevance, classic straw man argument. The thread is about Qantas lounge access not Virgin lounge access.

Perhaps you need to read up of Virgin blue a bit more, you're wrong on most of your points.

Straw man? No bringing in Virgin Blue lounge access just balances the argument and all the arguments beacuse so many have stated they will go to that program as a result of the Qantas change. Also the other arguments I have used are looking at the BIGGER picture, something that you in partciular for some reason cannot see.

As for me reading up on Virgin Blue lounge access, have done that, and their published policy seems to be a bit different to what your saying. The link is below and their access statement quoted below.

Virgin Blue > Entry & Access

The Lounge is located at Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Canberra domestic airports. Lounges can be accessed when travelling on an onward domestic flight with Virgin Blue.
Access to The Lounge is not available when travelling internationally with V Australia or Pacific Blue. Certain V Australia Guests and Velocity Gold Members may be eligible to access the Lounge's of V Australia and Velocity Airline Partners when travelling internationally. Please see the V Australia and Velocity websites for further information.

For a start having more lounges is useless if one doesn't fly to those places. A less biased assessment would be:

Domestic lounges everywhere they fly, QF=0, DJ=0
Anytime access. Neither so still QF=0 DJ=0
Arrivals access: QF+1 DJ+1, so QF=1, DJ=1
International access. QF+1 DJ+1, so QF=2, DJ=2
Domestic Business lounges for Platinums. QF+1, so QF=3, DJ=2
Access to lounges of alliance partners. QF+1 DJ=+1, so QF=4, DJ=3
Expresso coffee DJ+1, QF=4, DJ=4
Priority boarding for top tier DJ+1, QF=4, DJ=5.

Hmmm, you say I am biased. For one thing for a complete program having lounges in more places does count, so yes 1 point to Qantas. Though yes fair enough that if you don't fly to these places it is pretty usless, but clearly people do fly to other ports so that would be important to more people than just you which BTW is a perfect example of my comment re people being selfish.

Arrivals, will concede that it would appear to be possible in DJ, but clearly it isn't an advertised feature, in fact it probably isn't a feature just the staff being kind. On that mark though Qantas still has the edge because it is a clear advertised benifit, so no point to DJ.

International lounge access, again DJ's own website says access is NOT available, even when travelling on their own owned airlines. Though yes look a bit futher and for some members access is kindly granted. But again no where near the reach of Qantas so still +1 to QF and lets give 0.5 to DJ.

As for expresso coffee, last time I looked there were expresso machines in the larger Qantas lounges operated by a real person. So that would be a QF+1, DJ+1 but again not really much use if you don't like expresso coffee.

It seems you are not listening. I feel very insulted by you writing that all replies were extremely selfish. I feel further insulted when I asked you to justify labelling my post as extremely selfish your response was to tell me to grow up. So yes, you have, in fact, insulted me.

That is the pot calling kettle if ever I saw it.

Everything may cost something. But as a QF platinum flyer QF allow me access to the QF lounge when I fly on an alliance airline. Are you really trying to claim that another airline is going to pay Qantas for providing a qantas benefit to a qantas frequent flyer. Get real.

That is not exactly what I said. I said that alliance airlines have mutual access agreements which would balance out. In a later post I did mention about airlines and organisations such as Priority Pass paying (other) airlines for access, this does indeed happen.

Well it is my point and your reponses demonstrate to me that you do not understand what I'm talking about. :-|
The argument has everything to do with the removal of anytime lounge access. Qantas are removing that access to stop people flying non-qantas, inter alia, on routes that qantas has jetstarised. Qantas is trying to force their most loyal customers to fly with Jetstar as if it is any kind of substitute for a Qantas service. What is the next route that Qantas is going to Jetstarise? It says to me shove your 1400+SC of flying and the premium airline benefits because were going to stick you onto a Jetstar whenever we wish and you will be persona non gratia if you choose better service over Jetstar. Taken for granted - much!

What is a bigger free kick for DJ, letting me into a QF lounge 12 to 16 times a year and getting 84 to 88 paid flights, or enhancing me into 50 paid flights to DJ and 50 to QF? It is also pure business for me to assess if Qantas values my loyalty.

I know what your talking about, just don't agree, there is a very big difference. Yet you feel the need to continualy INSULT me by saying I don't understand. Gee, refer to above re: pot calling kettle black. Come in.... As for this debate it has nothing what so ever to do with Qantas Jetstaring their routes. You were talking about straw man above, if every I read a straw man statement this would be one of them. It seems to me that your problem is with Qantas as a whole, but are using this simple change to launch into attack mode.

To me it seems that what Qantas is doing is changing their program to be more in line with what other airlines operate, including Virgin Blue. Nothing unreasonable about that and all very open.

As for you changing your travel patterns, that is clearly a personal decision, though clearly you don't value the other benifits of the Qantas frequent flyer scheme if your willing to change half your flights just because you don't get anytime lounge access. Classic pack up the bat and run syndrome.

Last edited:
Only 1 airline has made improvements to the FF program and actually wants more revenue in the door. Anyone who has any clue about business knows that if you don't continue to evolve and improve the product offerring (particularly in a service based business), one becomes complacent.

Sure DJ don't have their act together and have a way to go, but they'll sure be putting a bigger dent in the QF revenues. And once top-tier Qantas members start to try DJ and realise it's not all that bad and can see DJ trying to earn their loyalty - we'll see a steady rapid shift away from Qantas spend towards Virgin Blue premium products.

Heck, if that weren't already enough - this thread is starting to rank well in google under Qantas Platinum Benefits. This is how businesses get destroyed guys.... (take note university business & marketing students)

Like terminal cancer to the QF bottom line.

How do you define improvement? To me as a whole over the past few years the Qantas program has improved. I now get greater baggage allowances (though being selfish it would be nice if they were increased in time for my trip in Feb!), I get access to domestic business class lounges, I have more ways to earn points and more ways to spend points. All I have lost is anytime lounge access, something which I will admit I have used and enjoyed, but it is something that is a very small and minor issue to me anyway.

As for destroying business, yes this change may well make some feel disgruntled, just look at this thread. But in reality do you seriously expect too many to go through with their threats when the DJ product at present is no where near as comprehensive in terms of facilities, locations and partners to name just a few issues? Qantas is far from a stupid airline, they know how to make money and they know that with DJ evolving further they need to fight more. Maybe time to give them some credit and again realise how good we actually have it in Australia, thanks in no small part to Qantas and airlines like Ansett that helped shape Australian aviation.

In particular our domestic product, on both Qantas and to a lesser extent Virgin Blue is far superior to anything I have experianced elsewhere in the world. For the past few years I have done a lot of flying out of London to European destinations and even at the front of the bus the offering domesticly in Aus wins hands down. As for lounges yes the product in the hub centre for the airlines is ok (BA at Heathrow for example), but at their destination sites it is often very poor indeed. In Aus Qantas has some great lounges, and yes a few shockers, but the money they poor into lounges is quite evident.

Last edited:
As for destroying business, yes this change may well make some feel disgruntled, just look at this thread. But in reality do you seriously expect too many to go through with their threats when the DJ product at present is no where near as comprehensive in terms of facilities, locations and partners to name just a few issues? Qantas is far from a stupid airline, they know how to make money and they know that with DJ evolving further they need to fight more.

Take a read through the ~800 posts you apparently missed.

It's about the use of the word "enhancement" to describe the removal of benefits.
It's about inconsistancy in 'QF Spin' (being told one thing and QF doing another).
It's about removing benefits while increasing costs (yes - ticket prices have gone up).
It's about removal of anytime access under the guise of 'crowded lounges'.

Blend these issues together in the consumer's mind and you have a deadly coughtail of self-restrained spending where the hangover is frugality.

And even if this was purely about the removal of anytime access and nothing else, here is an interesting way to look at it:-

Qantas Club/Business Intl: $435/year + joining fee (access lounges only when you fly)

Special deal for Platinum FFers:-
Qantas Club/Business Intl/First Intl: $20,000++/year .. oh, but you can only use when you fly Qantas..:?::!:

I came up with a few concepts on how QF can fix this mess, keep their pride and increase cashflow all at the same time.

- Introduce a Diamond status level above platinum.

- all platinum & oneworld emerald benefits, plus:
- 150% points on all flights
- anytime lounge access including FLounges
- free partner platinum
- confirmed upgrades during booking process
- what else... ?

No 2nd year free comp, and 5,000 SC with min 200 QF segments to attain and retain.

This shuts platinums up because there is a new goal to shoot for (think gaming dynamics here). Anytime access is then perceived as a real benefit by QF and the added sweetener of FLounge anytime makes us all feel warm and fuzzy about QF once more. This would also show they really are listening and acting consistantly on real feedback instead of those coughpy survey forms.

It then locks in the ultra freaky FF'ers who spread status accross many airlines -- AND Qantas can then downgrade some CL's to this level if they're not performing.

Win-Win-Win-Win. Tell me if I'm wrong....

It's about the use of the word "enhancement" to describe the removal of benefits.
It's about inconsistancy in 'QF Spin' (being told one thing and QF doing another).
It's about removing benefits while increasing costs (yes - ticket prices have gone up).

Blend these issues together in the consumer's mind and you have a deadly coughtail of self-restrained spending where the hangover is frugality.

And even if this was purely about the removal of anytime access and nothing else, here is an interesting way to look at it:-

Qantas Club/Business Intl: $435/year + joining fee (access lounges only when you fly)

Special deal for Platinum FFers:-
Qantas Club/Business Intl/First Intl: $20,000++/year .. oh, but you can only use when you fly Qantas..:?::!:

No I did not miss that, indeed look at my very first post on the issue where I clearly stated that I thought it a bit rich to call the end of anytime an enhancement but as a whole the changes they announced were an overall enhancement for many. Since then the discussion as a WHOLE has turned into a whinge fest over the removal of anytime access. I try to offer some balance and get caned as a result of daring to be actually sensible about it all.

As for your cost comparison you fail, like others to factor into your costs the other benefits of the program as a whole and are concentrating just on anytime access removal, which as I have said all along is not too unreasonable. Indeed how many other airlines offer anytime lounge access to THEIR customers? Cannot think of any to be honest.

No I did not miss that, indeed look at my very first post on the issue where I clearly stated that I thought it a bit rich to call the end of anytime an enhancement but as a whole the changes they announced were an overall enhancement for many. Since then the discussion as a WHOLE has turned into a whinge fest over the removal of anytime access. I try to offer some balance and get caned as a result of daring to be actually sensible about it all.

As for your cost comparison you fail, like others to factor into your costs the other benefits of the program as a whole and are concentrating just on anytime access removal, which as I have said all along is not too unreasonable. Indeed how many other airlines offer anytime lounge access to THEIR customers? Cannot think of any to be honest.

You are right in terms of your question about anytime access from a philosophical point of view.

If anytime access never existed, then I would agree with you that there is a strong argument for "why would you offer this?".

Your primary question would be quite reasonable, and I would be inclined to agree.

However that is not the fact.

The fact is that anytime access did exist, and QF have removed that benefit.

In isolation, my personal view is the same as Serfty's..... Nice benefit, have used it, not the happiest about the "enhancement", but life will go on.

In the bigger context of QF's "program of enhancements", or continued long-term devaluing of benefits..... Well, there are hundreds of posts in this thread on that topic, including several from myself.

So you're not wrong in your argument. But the flavour of this thread isn't "should anytime access exist?", rather it is about the "removal of existing benefits" and the consequent issues of continual erosion, replacement benefits, differential between SG and WP and ultimately whether or not this will affect people's future loyalty as they weigh up whether they feel WP is worth retaining/attaining.

It's not selfish, it's entirely relevant.

Just as you see baggage changes as a genuine improvement, I see them as being an erosion from the previous piece system that was around until fairly recently.

I maintain that loyalty programs are there to reward loyalty and encourage additional future spend.

If you erode the benefits - you risk eroding the future loyalty of customers.

I came up with a few concepts on how QF can fix this mess, keep their pride and increase cashflow all at the same time.

- free partner platinum
- confirmed upgrades during booking process
- what else... ?

No 2nd year free comp, and 5,000 SC with min 200 QF segments to attain and retain.

This shuts platinums up because there is a new goal to shoot for (think gaming dynamics here). Anytime access is then perceived as a real benefit by QF and the added sweetener of FLounge anytime makes us all feel warm and fuzzy about QF once more. This would also show they really are listening and acting consistantly on real feedback instead of those coughpy survey forms.

It then locks in the ultra freaky FF'ers who spread status accross many airlines -- AND Qantas can then downgrade some CL's to this level if they're not performing.

Win-Win-Win-Win. Tell me if I'm wrong....

Good point and QF might be drawing up plans for such a level already, who knows???

There are also reports that there is a level above WP that is attainable. I know of 1 person who has this and is a WP+ status, but not CL.

Google came up with this
Status level above Platinum & Chairman's Lounge - FlyerTalk Forums

(Post #12)
Chucklez

Um... er... I can confirm this... I've been a QF Platinum for four years but in 2002 it changed... I logged more than 650,000 miles in that year (mostly with J&F business trips to London + status bonuses). At Christmas, I received 6 bottles of Grange from the CEO and a letter of thanks. The letter included a phone number to call for bookings etc. The result is as follows:

- I can make award bookings in any class as little as a couple of days in advance with no knock backs (seats always available)

- I can cancel award bookings for full refund or make changes with no charges / point deductions

- I always get seats for paid bookings, I've even been put on full flights at the airport with no booking

- When I fly long haul, the purser introduces himself and thanks me for joining the flight and gives me a little extra attention (I've been escorted through customs with the crew when theres been a queue & given bottles of champagne to take home etc)

- I was offered a free ride in the QF 747 simulator, which I did and recommend as great fun

I didn't fly so far this year (only about 450,000 miles worth) but got the letter again... although, only one bottle of Grange unfortunately.

I have to say my card is still only Platinum, not Chairman... (I'm actually quite a mid-level employee so that's reserved for the CEO / MD) but I do get better treatment... In fact, I should mention one other point. A purser on BA told me a coupld of months ago (F from LGW - ATL)that QF had telephoned them to say I was on the flight... take good care etc...

...so there you have it!

Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

You are right in terms of your question about anytime access from a philosophical point of view.

If anytime access never existed, then I would agree with you that there is a strong argument for "why would you offer this?".

Your primary question would be quite reasonable, and I would be inclined to agree.

However that is not the fact.

The fact is that anytime access did exist, and QF have removed that benefit.

In isolation, my personal view is the same as Serfty's..... Nice benefit, have used it, not the happiest about the "enhancement", but life will go on.

In the bigger context of QF's "program of enhancements", or continued long-term devaluing of benefits..... Well, there are hundreds of posts in this thread on that topic, including several from myself.

So you're not wrong in your argument. But the flavour of this thread isn't "should anytime access exist?", rather it is about the "removal of existing benefits" and the consequent issues of continual erosion, replacement benefits, differential between SG and WP and ultimately whether or not this will affect people's future loyalty as they weigh up whether they feel WP is worth retaining/attaining.

Just as you see baggage changes as a genuine improvement, I see them as being an erosion from the previous piece system that was around until fairly recently.

I maintain that loyalty programs are there to reward loyalty and encourage additional future spend.

I like this post, the most sensible I have seen in this thread. In particular your comment about the risk of eroding loyalty. My opinion of course is that Qantas are not stupid and know full well what those risks are and consider them to be minor. After all the other benefits and improvements that they have made more than easily make up for this one 'erosion' of benefit.

PS As for the selfish comments that seem to have got the goat of many, I suggest people complaining about that actually go and re-read again.

Qantas must be laughing at the lack of pushback from its clients about the erosion of benefits.

A bunch of musicians got a policy change to allow their instruments back as cabin luggage, yet frequent flyers don't seem to have effected any change at all!

Qantas must be laughing at the lack of pushback from its clients about the erosion of benefits.

A bunch of musicians got a policy change to allow their instruments back as cabin luggage, yet frequent flyers don't seem to have effected any change at all!

Thats because they keep trying to justify the FF program that they are on (saving face) or they are unaware of the better conditions on other airlines.

The one condition that I don't understand people putting up with, and yet it seems that most QFF's seem to accept as normal is the International Upgrade policy.

Some people can quote the amount of days out you can apply for an upgrade on a mythical seat in the future to give you the best chance of getting it. Its the same with awards.

On other airlines you can upgrade at will. You don't have to try and get a single seat that becomes available 200 - 300 days out.

But as long as FF's justify the QANTAS position and don't vote with their feet, QANTAS will not change.

In the FF's defence the oposition hasn't been able to provide a lot of services that QF has, ie International Routes, Domestic Business etc. and QANTAS has had a virtual monopoly.

Good point and QF might be drawing up plans for such a level already, who knows???

There are also reports that there is a level above WP that is attainable. I know of 1 person who has this and is a WP+ status, but not CL.

I can also confirm this.

The last few days posts have made interesting reading.

In MY personal situation... The new "enhancements" have definately made me re-evaluate my travel spend.

I only travel in the premium cabins and my $$$ spend each year is quite significant. With the dilution of my Platinum benefits I have now flown, .... AND will fly on other airlines.

I spoke to Air New Zealand and explained my situation to them. They asked for my past 6 months of FF statements and then promptly comped myself and +1 Gold Elite status. (Including 2 upgrade certificates each) Since then I have flown them twice and have a trip to Europe via LAX booked in March. So.... in that ONE instance alone, QANTAS has lost out on 3 First class return tickets to Europe. ($60K) Air New Zealand has gained 3 Business Premier Tickets. ($48K)

I go Trans Tasman at least 8 - 10 times per year so I will fly Air New Zealand or Emirates instead. ($30 - $40K loss of income for QANTAS) I am just ONE person! I will easily retain WP every year. But I WILL be spreading my spend around.

This is MY "enhancement" to my future travel!

And later on, they can decide to remove anytime access, again ;)

Straw man? No bringing in Virgin Blue lounge access just balances the argument and all the arguments beacuse so many have stated they will go to that program as a result of the Qantas change. Also the other arguments I have used are looking at the BIGGER picture, something that you in partciular for some reason cannot see.

This thread is about anytime lounge Access from Qantas and how it erodes loyalty to Qantas. DJ lounge access is irrelevant, the removal of the qantas' benefits erodes the loyalty not the existence of DJ benefits. I can see the bigger picture, it's just not want I have talking about in this thread.

As for me reading up on Virgin Blue lounge access, have done that, and their published policy seems to be a bit different to what your saying. The link is below and their access statement quoted below.

Virgin Blue > Entry & Access

And yet arrival happens as others have already informed you and IIRC has been confirmed by a Virgin rep on AFF. We are also talking about Gold status with Velocity not The Lounge membership.

Hmmm, you say I am biased.

No I implied your assessment was biased, what else does one call selectively picking the points that are strengths for one option in a comparison.

International lounge access, again DJ's own website says access is NOT available, even when travelling on their own owned airlines.

People in this thread have suggested moving business and attain status with Velocity. International lounge access is available, in exactly the same as as it is on Qantas for those who fly enough to attain status.

As for expresso coffee, last time I looked there were expresso machines in the larger Qantas lounges operated by a real person. So that would be a QF+1, DJ+1 but again not really much use if you don't like expresso coffee.

Which Qantas lounges because I have never seen this in action in any Qantas lounge. Well, I did see a person pushing the button on the standard coffee machine in BNE - the "barista" service. In any case, The Lounge has expresso machines in all lounges available for all customers of the The Lounge. Rather than applying a different standard lets apply the same standard you use for the number lounges. Simply put Virgin Blue is superior on this point.

That is the pot calling kettle if ever I saw it.
You labelled my post (and others) as extremely selfish and that has nothing to do with your other point, you haven't been able to acknowledge the basis for my assessment about my relationship with Qantas, you continue to deny my right as a customer to respond to Qantas' changes to their program. You have totally failed to justify you statements that I am selfish and need to "grow up" and that I'm packing up my bat. Compared to that I have outlined my reasons for saying that you are not listening and that the comparison was biased.

That is not exactly what I said. I said that alliance airlines have mutual access agreements which would balance out. In a later post I did mention about airlines and organisations such as Priority Pass paying (other) airlines for access, this does indeed happen.
Um, reality check here - You didn't actually say anything about this. You asked a question and this was the answer given. The fact remains that Qantas provides access to qantas facilities to Qantas FF when the fly with a competitor. There is no use of mutual access agreements in such cases - it is all in house with Qantas.

I know what your talking about, just don't agree, there is a very big difference. Yet you feel the need to continualy INSULT me by saying I don't understand. Gee, refer to above re: pot calling kettle black. Come in.... As for this debate it has nothing what so ever to do with Qantas Jetstaring their routes. You were talking about straw man above, if every I read a straw man statement this would be one of them. It seems to me that your problem is with Qantas as a whole, but are using this simple change to launch into attack mode.

The Jetstarising of Qantas routes that is an example of why anytime access should exist and why its removal erodes loyalty for some customers. That you say it isn't relevant to the thread is a clear indication that you just do not get my point. Remember it is my point, you reply sounds like you don't get it, simple statement of fact. Well I guess the other possibility is that you're deliberately being obtuse and are trying to twist my point into something else. :shock: But I prefer not to believe that you would do that.

To me it seems that what Qantas is doing is changing their program to be more in line with what other airlines operate, including Virgin Blue. Nothing unreasonable about that and all very open.

Yet it is extremely selfish for me to respond to those changes. In any case, I would prefer to see Qantas trying to be better than other airlines. Seems you're content for them to be the same.

As for you changing your travel patterns, that is clearly a personal decision, though clearly you don't value the other benifits of the Qantas frequent flyer scheme if your willing to change half your flights just because you don't get anytime lounge access. Classic pack up the bat and run syndrome.

You say you read this thread but clearly you haven't, never said I don't value the other benefits. I have consistently stated that I don't see the value of platinum over gold and I have outlined a number of times my reasoning for making my personal decision. Yet, again, I'm selfish. :evil: You totally ignore the fact that I'm not packing up the bat at all. It is Qantas' bat, they have made the choice how can I pack it up. In fact it is more a case that Qantas is packing up their bat because they are not happy that customers who have spent the money and qualified as Platinum are actually using the benefits that Qantas advertised. But in any case I plan to be double gold, no I'm not packing up anything.

You are not getting caned for offering balance, you are getting caned for continually calling people selfish. As others have already pointed out this thread has been about how this change will impact on loyalty to Qantas:

My cost comparison was about the value to Qantas not to me, the other benefits don't even come into it. When using anytime access I don't use other Qantas benefits. Simple question would Qantas like me to buy 90% of my flights or 50% of my flights from them. They seem happy to lose 40% to save the cost of 10 muffins and 10 coffees. I have never said taking the benefit away is unreasonable, yet you seem to think that it is unreasonable for me to respond to those changes.

In my personal case for the flights that I will switch, Qantas provides no additional benefits over Virgin Blue beside anytime lounge access. Hence removing that access causes me to spend money with their competition. I have written this a number of times now, in a number of ways. I have outlined exactly how I have considered the various benefits. Am I to take you claim that I failed to consider the cost of those other benefits as a sign that you don't understand the outline I provided of my personal circumstances or that you don't agree? If the later that could be really good as you seem to understand enough about my circumstances, without knowing me, to be able to disagree with my own assessments. Can I turn to you for advice in all areas of my life? :rolleyes:

I like this post, the most sensible I have seen in this thread. In particular your comment about the risk of eroding loyalty. My opinion of course is that Qantas are not stupid and know full well what those risks are and consider them to be minor. After all the other benefits and improvements that they have made more than easily make up for this one 'erosion' of benefit.

Well if you like this post I can only hope that you will finally understand what we have been discussing here.

As for improvements, name one improvement announced with the removal of anytime access besides an additional 3 kg of luggage for platinum FF.

PS As for the selfish comments that seem to have got the goat of many, I suggest people complaining about that actually go and re-read again.

I have read you posts a number of times. Regardless of any valid points you have made, you labelled people as selfish, and you continue to call me selfish, because I have been involved in a discussion that is about so much more that the basic philosophical level point, that no one has denied, that you made after 774 posts in the thread.

The Jetstarising of Qantas routes that is an example of why anytime access should exist and why its removal erodes loyalty for some customers. That you say it isn't relevant to the thread is a clear indication that you just do not get my point. Remember it is my point, you reply sounds like you don't get it, simple statement of fact. Well I guess the other possibility is that you're deliberately being obtuse and are trying to twist my point into something else. :shock: But I prefer not to believe that you would do that.

(Inappropriate sentence deleted) But will point out something very important in relation to the above post. You say that transferring of routes to Jetstar is one reason why Qantas should retain anytime access. May I ask why? The reason I ask is under the Qantas Club T&C's when flying on Jetstar, Qantas Club members, Qantas Gold and Qantas Platinum all get lounge access anyway. This access is not granted under anytime rules, so the removal of anytime will make no difference what so ever in this example.

PS As for twisting posts, again pot calling kettle black. So think we might take 1 point each on that account.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for improvements, name one improvement announced with the removal of anytime access besides an additional 3 kg of luggage for platinum FF.

Didn't see this one as I would have addressed it. Where did you get a figure of 3kg from? Under current rules a Platinum on a domestic flight is allowed 38kg (in economy) and 45kg (in Business), under the changes that come into effect next year that changes to 64kg, but with a hard two bag limit. The limits for Qantas link flights change from 20kg to 64kg.

Internationally it also changes to 64kg. Which ever way you look at it that is more than 3kg.

As for what other improvements, well lets see. Domestic business class lounges was a MASSIVE improvement and IMO easily well worth trading anytime access. Clearly baggage allowance changes are a positive, though I guess you could argue that is part of a wider change rather than a program change.

Now whilst yes I will admit in the time that I have been a QFF member (about 15) years there has been a degregation in the program, being a realist I can see why. Under the two airlines system we had Australian travelers were spolit beyond belief. Since circa 2000 the world and the airline industry has changed and clearly Qantas has had to change their product offerings across the board to better compete in this new world. This has lead to Jetstar and a general degregation of service levels and benifits, BUT as a whole what is offered now as a COMPLETE package is still streets ahead of what is offered elsewhere in the world.

Don't believe me go live in the US or Europe for a few years. Then come back and see what you do and don't value.

PS link to Qantas baggage allowances:

Fly - Baggage - Checked Baggage

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back