No more removing Laptops and LAGS from carry-on bags at MEL [T4 only] as new scanners roll out | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

No more removing Laptops and LAGS from carry-on bags at MEL [T4 only] as new scanners roll out

p--and--t

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
MEL T4 yesterday everything Left in bag.

Woman in uniform yelling out one bag per tray.

I put my carry on in one tray and jacket, phone, water bottle in another.

Got yelled at by the guy on the station as he moved my bag on top if my jacket etc so everything in one tray :rolleyes:

JessicaTam

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Data point:

In the last week I have had to remove liquids at MEL T2 and DOH.
They stayed in my bag in SIN, CMB, AUH and CGK.
I still have AMS, LHR and MUC to check. :)

PineappleSkip

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
In the last week I have had to remove liquids at MEL T2 and DOH.
They stayed in my bag in SIN, CMB, AUH and CGK.
And then there are the endless differences around removing shoes, belt, watch, ipad. I have taken to asking every time. Excellent to see a new opportunity for laptop inconsistency now :rolleyes:

Cheers skip

justinbrett

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I’ve been at US airports which had big signs saying “please leave your shoes on, you don’t need to remove them” (but observed people taking them off). Then got yelled at when I tried to confirm this - being told sternly “shoes off!”

The only consistent thing about airport security is inconsistency.

jsoprano

I've gone through AMS two weeks ago and they had the new scanners where you would leave laptop and LAGs in the bag (at T3 where the BA checkin is, at least).

However, they were ridiculously slow (not sure if the ones in MEL are different models). The conveyor was running at such a slow speed, everyone had to wait forever after unloading into the tray to finally push them onto the conveyor, because things were just moving so slowly. When I got there there was hardly a queue, a family of 3 and a lone business man in front of me, but it still took me 15 mins to get through. I do not want to be there when it's busy...

docjames

Flights
My Map
Newcastle has had these for a little while now. The new body scanners seem to have a lot of false positives. Teething issues I guess.
False positives better than false negatives i guess.

And then there are the endless differences around removing shoes, belt, watch, ipad. I have taken to asking every time. Excellent to see a new opportunity for laptop inconsistency now :rolleyes:

Cheers skip
I too just ask now - cant rely on any one airport/terminal/company/checkpoint/line to have a consistent approach. Easier just to ask and do what they want at that millisecond of timing.

Flights
My Map
Total mayhem this morn - lines 20 deep - ALL electronics and lags out - staff directly waiting pax to fill every available slot as soon as vacant - trays taking forever to return - really slow process - BUT - very very few bags being channeled for secondary scanning - go figure

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karinajinx