Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Ralph

Enthusiast
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Seems like a long time between drinks with Commonwealth bank credit card offerings, but I've noticed the following new offers:

1) Platinum Awards credit card – Earn 100,000 Bonus CommBank Points when you apply for a new CommBank Platinum Awards credit card by 31 July and spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new card by 31 October 2019. $249 annual fee.

Platinum Awards credit card - CommBank

2) Diamond Awards credit card - 120,000 Bonus Points when you apply for a new CommBank Diamond Awards credit card by 31 July and spend $6,000 on eligible purchases with your new card by 31 October 2019. $349 annual fee.

Diamond Awards credit card - CommBank

3) Awards credit card - 30,000 Bonus Points when you apply a new CommBank Awards credit card by 31 July and spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new card by 31 October 2019. $59 annual fee.

Awards credit card - CommBank

Long time since I've had a Commonwealth bank card so I'm not sure what each point is worth. I assume that they feed into some type of rewards program that you can transfer to some airlines?

Note 12 month exclusion period.

They transfer at a terrible rate. Rate depends on card type and airline.

I'll be skipping this as well, even though it's only around $50 for those of us with the CBA "Wealth" package. Not worth what I suspect would be significant pain during application for such a small haul.

Great I made a mistake, and hope others will learn from this.

I applied for the Platinum awards card, and was conditionally approved for it. I came to the page (near the end) that asks what you would like the credit limit to be. It said Maximum of 6K. Oh great, I thought it was 6K as the minimum not the maximum. I then changed it to 5K thinking, I dont need 6K anyway. However when I changed it to 5K, I didnt realise, this would mean im applying Award not Platinum Award. I did not pick this up, when playing around with the limits. This subtle change stuffed me up.

Before you say that I must have been offered the Award in the first place, go ahead and do a dummy application for the Platinum award and when you get to the page to select your limit, change it to 5K.

least its $59 for 15K velocity I guess? 0.39 value :( sad face.

Hey mokuni

Great I made a mistake, and hope others will learn from this.

I didnt realise, this would mean im applying Award not Platinum Award. I did not pick this up, when playing around with the limits. This subtle change stuffed me up.

Bad luck - I didn't realise that things like this would happen and that banks would have a system in place to notify the applicant of the change.

That being said, I echo many of the comments here - these cards aren't worth $349 investment.

Hey mokuni

Bad luck - I didn't realise that things like this would happen and that banks would have a system in place to notify the applicant of the change.

That being said, I echo many of the comments here - these cards aren't worth $349 investment.

Yeah the thing is, the bank sorta did say (I know now, after doing a dummy application) that when you reduce your limit, the card displayed on the right as a pop up changes.

I have done this so many times that when a card is conditionally Approved, you generally get the lowest limit i.e. 6K, and can request higher. This is the first time I've been given a limit of 6K, and reducing it, actually changes the product you are applying.

I have also done a dummy application (not my real name/drivers licence number) for the Diamond. Yup once you get conditionally approved for 15K, you can only reduce it below 15, and doing so, changes the card you are applying. What this means of course is if you really want the middle product, Platinum Awards credit card , with a 10K limit, the only way to invoke it would be to apply for the diamond, get conditionally approved, then change the limit from 15K to 10K. Back to front.

Agree card isn't the best but running out of velocity options.

Seems like a long time between drinks with Commonwealth bank credit card offerings, but I've noticed the following new offers:

whats new in the range of credit cards? They all look like the same range they have always had?

I'll be skipping this as well, even though it's only around $50 for those of us with the CBA "Wealth" package. Not worth what I suspect would be significant pain during application for such a small haul.

Wow. They really charge wealth package holders $50 for this rubbish? It used to be free including the diamond card. I ditched mine years ago, but was thinking if I've still got the wealth package, picking up the diamond card is points for jam.

I'm cancelling my Commonwealth bank card I've held since uni and getting a debit card to access my savings account. I made it very clear the reason was because of terrible travel insurance from CoverMore. Everything from claims query, claims form, claim acknowledgement had to be followed up before being handled correctly.... Also no point retaining with the low earn rate.

Wow. They really charge wealth package holders $50 for this rubbish? It used to be free including the diamond card. I ditched mine years ago, but was thinking if I've still got the wealth package, picking up the diamond card is points for jam.

It's not that unusual. ANZ charge breakfree customers $55 per card for Qantas earning cards. That said the ANZ FF Black is in my opinion 1 million times over a better card.

Did anyone apply and get the bonus points yet? I’ve spent the $4k in two months hope I don’t have to wait till October to get them!!

They've got a pretty good range of programs to transfer to, much more than I realised. But those transfer rates mean the points-per-dollar is very poor.

I suspect they're getting away with it because so many people will have transaction accounts they've had since they were kids and so they just get a credit card/loan/mortgage/everything from Commbank and not really examining the options in the market.

It's not that unusual. ANZ charge breakfree customers $55 per card for Qantas earning cards. That said the ANZ FF Black is in my opinion 1 million times over a better card.
Well I am glad my loans are with NAB. As a choice package customer, my wife got the NAB signature with 90k points for nothing. And once she cancels it later this month, i will be helping myself to 90k QFF points for $0 too. Although given CBA and ANZ charge their package customers, I guess NAB may follow suit in time...

Although given CBA and ANZ charge their package customers, I guess NAB may follow suit in time...

That is a good deal for NAB customers. I've always taken it as a token charge that ANZ & CBA levy their customers who could otherwise sail on past with high bonus point earning cards and no annual fee. I have the package with both CBA and ANZ and wasn't aware NAB didn't levy the charge, but I wouldn't go changing banks over it. That said, getting CBA cards for a $50 fee is more than I'd be prepared to pay and as a result, I don't hold a CBA card at all, and never have since I canceled the one they gave me as part of the package. Their offerings really are poor, but they clearly don't intend to be competitive in this arena.

That is a good deal for NAB customers. I've always taken it as a token charge that ANZ & CBA levy their customers who could otherwise sail on past with high bonus point earning cards and no annual fee.
Both CBA and ANZ wealth packages definitely include one Credit Card annual fee waiver. OTOH, ANZ however still charges about $55pa rewards fee, and another fee about the same for additional cards, which kind of means it shouldnt be mentioned again :)
See here for CBA

I am not aware of any bank that offers a wealth package that doesnt throw a credit card into the showbag, to not do that puts them in a distinctive difference in the market - only ANZ sucks in this space.

ANZ charges for the "rewards program fee" which is the $55 component. The additional cardholder fee is also a bit of a rort. That said, the ANZ Black is 10x better in terms of offering than the CBA card suite. I've happily paid the $55 to ANZ in the past on top of my breakfree package (although I'm mid exclusion period with them now), whereas I don't hold a card with CBA despite it being free, and I don't suspect these renewed offers will be changing my mind anytime soon.

The CBA cards just don't offer enough IMHO to take up a slot on the list of cards to churn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back