New Qantas First class

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by maninblack, May 11, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. maninblack

maninblack Established Member

Aug 14, 2006
    According to channel 7 the new Qantas first class was unveiled at a "Galah" function in ... where else... Sydney last night. Did anyone get an invite? The TV story didn't show anything about the seat or cabin, just lots of shots of Colette Dinnigan, models in bikinis, kids singing you know what and a bunch of tipsy freeloaders.

I wonder if the story was accurate and maybe all they were unveiling was new ammenity kits and PJ's.

2. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Maybe unveiling the new lounge?

3. dot

dot Active Member

Mar 2, 2007
    MEL
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
  4. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    NM should be happy then - more than the 50+ whiskies of LH FCT at FRA.

5. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Ms Hudson obviously doesn't read FT or AFF.

I wonder if QF will experience the surge in F lounge useage that LH FCT? They are already looking into expanding.

6. maninblack

Aug 14, 2006
    Aha.

New first class lounge. New first class ammenities kit. New first class pyjamas. But no new First class.

"Smoke and mirrors" one could say, or "putting the cart before the horse" ;)

7. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Those are some of the cheaper improvements one could make to F experience. ;)

8. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    And don't forget the new First Class Plastic Knives :rolleyes: .

9. dot

dot Active Member

Mar 2, 2007
    MEL
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head there... They are probably feeling increased preasure with both SQ and CX introducting new J and F classes (and with BA about to introduce theirs), but cant afford (or justify the cost) of upgrading the QF metal.

BTW - I am not suggesting that the new lounges, PJs, amenities kits etc are no good, but it's probably cheaper to do all of those things than upgrade the aircraft (and with less disruption to service)

10. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Its not so much a cost issue as one of aircraft availability. A cabin upgrade, even just the F cabin, requires the aircraft to be on the ground for an extended period of time, and at the moment QF does not have sufficient spare 747-400 capacity to do the upgrades now. They only have the capacity for maintenance schedules.

So until they can get some capacity relief by way of A380 deliveries, the 744 upgrades are all on hold.

11. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    It is a trade-off between falling behind in product vs rearranging schedules (downgauges, dropped flights etc) during the time it takes to refurbish (a long time in total across the fleet). QF has decided one way, NZ decided differently, & SQ yet another way.

NZ was smart in doing its 747s when they did - a time of lower demand and together with some selectively pulled flights meant they managed the 18 month process well (IMO).

12. maninblack

Aug 14, 2006
    Indeed. The new First class product has been designed, this is certain, and possibly even manufactured.

The QF timeframe gets more interesting. Once a substantial number of A380's join the fleet and then the 787 comes in too, a significant number of 744's will be headed for retirement, OJB, C, D etc will be over 20 years old, though they don't carry first class cabins anymore.

That old A380 problem again, and bad planning...but we've had this discussion here before :rolleyes:

13. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Yes, but SQ has plenty of capacity to manage such upgrades, and also had a new aircraft entering the fleet to use as the introduction of the new cabins. QF had originally expected to have new fleet entries (the A380) by now and that would provide the new cabin intro and the capacity relief to allow the 744's to be upgraded.

I just hope that when they do get the upgrades introduced that they are half a generation ahead of the rest since they will be half a generation behind the roll-out schedule. But QF is not known to be a leader when it comes to cabin innovation.

14. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    No it doesn't. SQ sold their 747s to match planned deliveries of A380 and 77W (ie several have already gone from the fleet and rest to follow in short term). Since A380 been delayed so long they are badly short of a/c, cutting capacity on some routes as a result. Originally new product was to be launched on A380 to be followed by 77W.

15. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Wasnt the Skybed quite a cutting edge seat when first introduced? I am still disappointed - I thought they had opened early :(

16. maninblack

Aug 14, 2006
    Still think that if they had ordered A340-300's and/or 500's instead of the A330's as part of their Airbus deal they wouldn't be in their current fleet problem, the increased cost would have been easily made up in greater flexibility...but we have had this discussion before too.

17. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Don't worry about it too much. You can sample the new F lounge next trip. ;)

18. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Sadly not :( This trip is paid F - the next trip I will still be AA Plat until midway through my trip - will hit EXP on flight DXB-LHR - so if I can get a fax from AA I might be able to access the F lounge at LGW four days later on my LGW-BGI-JFK flight

19. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Nothing cutting edge about the sky bed when it came out imo

Dave