New Qantas First class

Status
Not open for further replies.

maninblack

Established Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
2,310
Points
10
According to channel 7 the new Qantas first class was unveiled at a "Galah" function in ... where else... Sydney last night. Did anyone get an invite? The TV story didn't show anything about the seat or cabin, just lots of shots of Colette Dinnigan, models in bikinis, kids singing you know what and a bunch of tipsy freeloaders.

I wonder if the story was accurate and maybe all they were unveiling was new ammenity kits and PJ's.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Opening on May 23, they have been described by Qantas Executive General Manager John Borghetti as "simply the best in the world".

NM should be happy then - more than the 50+ whiskies of LH FCT at FRA.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Ms Hudson said she hoped passengers would arrive early for flights and spend upwards of 45 minutes in the lounges, to experience the spa, dining and other facilities. The Sydney lounge is designed to fit 220 people – an increase of 69 per cent on the previous lounge – but she admits they probably won't "see that peak".

Ms Hudson obviously doesn't read FT or AFF.

I wonder if QF will experience the surge in F lounge useage that LH FCT? They are already looking into expanding.
 
Easy to install and operate, this 10 in 1 lens kit can be used on your Smartphone.

The kit includes a 198 degree fisheye lens, 0.63x wide angle lens, 15x Macro lens, a super wide angle lens, 0.36X , 2x telephoto lens , Kaleidoscope Lens plus a circular polariser lens, star filter lens, flow filter lens.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

maninblack

Established Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
2,310
Points
10
Aha.

New first class lounge. New first class ammenities kit. New first class pyjamas. But no new First class.

"Smoke and mirrors" one could say, or "putting the cart before the horse" ;)
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Those are some of the cheaper improvements one could make to F experience. ;)
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,461
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
maninblack said:
Aha.

New first class lounge. New first class ammenities kit. New first class pyjamas. But no new First class.

"Smoke and mirrors" one could say, or "putting the cart before the horse" ;)
And don't forget the new First Class Plastic Knives :rolleyes: .
 

dot

Active Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2007
Messages
773
Points
5
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there... They are probably feeling increased preasure with both SQ and CX introducting new J and F classes (and with BA about to introduce theirs), but cant afford (or justify the cost) of upgrading the QF metal.

BTW - I am not suggesting that the new lounges, PJs, amenities kits etc are no good, but it's probably cheaper to do all of those things than upgrade the aircraft (and with less disruption to service)
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,461
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
dot said:
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there... They are probably feeling increased preasure with both SQ and CX introducting new J and F classes (and with BA about to introduce theirs), but cant afford (or justify the cost) of upgrading the QF metal.
Its not so much a cost issue as one of aircraft availability. A cabin upgrade, even just the F cabin, requires the aircraft to be on the ground for an extended period of time, and at the moment QF does not have sufficient spare 747-400 capacity to do the upgrades now. They only have the capacity for maintenance schedules.

So until they can get some capacity relief by way of A380 deliveries, the 744 upgrades are all on hold.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
NM said:
Its not so much a cost issue as one of aircraft availability. A cabin upgrade, even just the F cabin, requires the aircraft to be on the ground for an extended period of time, and at the moment QF does not have sufficient spare 747-400 capacity to do the upgrades now. They only have the capacity for maintenance schedules.

So until they can get some capacity relief by way of A380 deliveries, the 744 upgrades are all on hold.

It is a trade-off between falling behind in product vs rearranging schedules (downgauges, dropped flights etc) during the time it takes to refurbish (a long time in total across the fleet). QF has decided one way, NZ decided differently, & SQ yet another way.

NZ was smart in doing its 747s when they did - a time of lower demand and together with some selectively pulled flights meant they managed the 18 month process well (IMO).
 

maninblack

Established Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
2,310
Points
10
NM said:
Its not si much a cost issue as one of aircraft availability. A cabin upgrade, even just the F cabin, requires the aircraft to be on the ground for an extended period of time, and at the moment QF does not have sufficient spare 747-400 capacity to do the upgrades now. They only have the capacity for maintenance schedules.

So until they can get some capacity relief by way of A380 deliveries, the 744 upgrades are all on hold.

Indeed. The new First class product has been designed, this is certain, and possibly even manufactured.

The QF timeframe gets more interesting. Once a substantial number of A380's join the fleet and then the 787 comes in too, a significant number of 744's will be headed for retirement, OJB, C, D etc will be over 20 years old, though they don't carry first class cabins anymore.

That old A380 problem again, and bad planning...but we've had this discussion here before :rolleyes:
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,461
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Kiwi Flyer said:
It is a trade-off between falling behind in product vs rearranging schedules (downgauges, dropped flights etc) during the time it takes to refurbish (a long time in total across the fleet). QF has decided one way, NZ decided differently, & SQ yet another way.

NZ was smart in doing its 747s when they did - a time of lower demand and together with some selectively pulled flights meant they managed the 18 month process well (IMO).
Yes, but SQ has plenty of capacity to manage such upgrades, and also had a new aircraft entering the fleet to use as the introduction of the new cabins. QF had originally expected to have new fleet entries (the A380) by now and that would provide the new cabin intro and the capacity relief to allow the 744's to be upgraded.

I just hope that when they do get the upgrades introduced that they are half a generation ahead of the rest since they will be half a generation behind the roll-out schedule. But QF is not known to be a leader when it comes to cabin innovation.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
NM said:
Yes, but SQ has plenty of capacity to manage such upgrades

No it doesn't. SQ sold their 747s to match planned deliveries of A380 and 77W (ie several have already gone from the fleet and rest to follow in short term). Since A380 been delayed so long they are badly short of a/c, cutting capacity on some routes as a result. Originally new product was to be launched on A380 to be followed by 77W.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
Wasnt the Skybed quite a cutting edge seat when first introduced? I am still disappointed - I thought they had opened early :(
 

maninblack

Established Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
2,310
Points
10
Still think that if they had ordered A340-300's and/or 500's instead of the A330's as part of their Airbus deal they wouldn't be in their current fleet problem, the increased cost would have been easily made up in greater flexibility...but we have had this discussion before too.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
simongr said:
I am still disappointed - I thought they had opened early :(
Don't worry about it too much. You can sample the new F lounge next trip. ;)
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
Sadly not :( This trip is paid F - the next trip I will still be AA Plat until midway through my trip - will hit EXP on flight DXB-LHR - so if I can get a fax from AA I might be able to access the F lounge at LGW four days later on my LGW-BGI-JFK flight
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
simongr said:
Wasnt the Skybed quite a cutting edge seat when first introduced?

Nothing cutting edge about the sky bed when it came out imo

Dave
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Community Statistics

Threads
87,722
Messages
2,161,774
Members
54,660
Latest member
alicealice
Top