New offers at Coles | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

New offers at Coles

Status
Not open for further replies.

arun

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2002
Messages
311
Oh no. I am just becoming a big fan of FlyBuys.

Coles is offering some great offers for normal day to day items. Visit flybuys website, and click bonus offers. I am going shopping tomorrow night. :D
 

kristo

Intern
Joined
Feb 23, 2003
Messages
61
Enjoy your shopping, Arun, but remember that Coles has usually been surveyed by the ACA as the most expensive supermarket chain overall.
Dont spend an extra 10% on groceries to get less than 0.5% in points.
However, as a Coles Myer shareholder I say SPEND UP BIG and enjoy yourself.
 

arun

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2002
Messages
311
Thanks Kristo for your advice.
I normally shop at Woollies as it is my closest. When they have bonus offers I try Coles for those specific items.
Eg of current offers $25.00 on Nivea products - 500 points
4 pack of Colgate - 200 points
2 pack facial tissue - 100 points
2 pack toilet tissues - 200 points

Another point - A recent survey by Money magazine found that the prices are same at Coles and Woollies and suspect even price-fixing!!!
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,938
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
kristo said:
Enjoy your shopping, Arun, but remember that Coles has usually been surveyed by the ACA as the most expensive supermarket chain overall.
Dont spend an extra 10% on groceries to get less than 0.5% in points.
However, as a Coles Myer shareholder I say SPEND UP BIG and enjoy yourself.
I think you'll find that most surveys show that there is no rock hard rule as to where is the cheapest. In our area, (for example) I'd have to say Coles is the cheapest HOWEVER it certainly varies a lot with individual items and no hard and fast rule applies.

Where ever you shop the way to go is to use your FF linked credit card and then the add ons such as Fly Buys if they are appropriate :!:

:D
 

ffhound

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2003
Messages
321
straitman said:
kristo said:
Enjoy your shopping, Arun, but remember that Coles has usually been surveyed by the ACA as the most expensive supermarket chain overall.
Dont spend an extra 10% on groceries to get less than 0.5% in points.
However, as a Coles Myer shareholder I say SPEND UP BIG and enjoy yourself.
I think you'll find that most surveys show that there is no rock hard rule as to where is the cheapest. In our area, (for example) I'd have to say Coles is the cheapest HOWEVER it certainly varies a lot with individual items and no hard and fast rule applies.

Where ever you shop the way to go is to use your FF linked credit card and then the add ons such as Fly Buys if they are appropriate :!:

:D
I think the way to go is to

(a) use a ff linked credit card all the time (best is Safeway Ezrewards)
(b) keep your dockets for 4 cents off at Shell or Safeway Service stations
(c) work out a notional value for any ff or flybuy points you get and subtract this from the cost of the article and compare that cost with other supermarkets

cheers Peter
 

QF WP

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
15,990
Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Received my FlyBuys statement today.

Got 14,135 points (I know, I'm a great spender at linked businesses, aren't I!! :roll: ) and notice 4,000 are going to roll off at 31 July.

Notice that a special offer attached was Coles Myer $100 Voucher for 13,500 points (100 point rebate if apply on-line). So log on, try to enter transactions but it won't let me (System Error, it reads).

Printed a screen shot (with comments about their excellent computer system :wink: ) and attached it to the now completed manual request.

Let's see whether they give me the rebate :?:

At least Mrs LW gets more money to spend in ADL on an upcoming trip to PER and ADL (with me as chaperone, I'm there for work, it's a birthday trip for her)
 

ansettrule

Intern
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
58
Coles

As a frequent shopper at Woolies before trying Coles I can say never going back to Woolies. Coles are certainly cheaper and I do keep an eye on my spending but I have noticed at least $3-4 dollars cheaper.
Better in my pocket than Woolies.
Converted now I am.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,431
Interesting how a lot of old threads are being resurrected recently. I may have to watch out or I may be the next "guest" on AFF!

Lindsay Wilson said:
Let's see whether they give me the rebate :?:
Well Lindsay, did you get your rebate?

And BTW I don't do the shopping but for the few things that I do buy I have found Coles way more expensive than Woolworths. It is a fact and has been proven by my parents and friends on more than one occassion. But hey we all can't shop at the same places otherwise some of these smaller stores would go broke.
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,902
Flights
My Map
Re: Coles

ansettrule said:
As a frequent shopper at Woolies before trying Coles I can say never going back to Woolies. Coles are certainly cheaper and I do keep an eye on my spending but I have noticed at least $3-4 dollars cheaper.
Better in my pocket than Woolies.
Converted now I am.
Not my experience, I usually find the reverse. But then, it may depend on exactly what you are buying.
 

ansettrule

Intern
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
58
Coles Offers

Hey all I can't believe all the great savings at Coles this week.
Nappies save $12.00 fantastic for me and my son.
Great on Coffee as well.

I have noticed the savings are getting bigger every week.
Keep them coming Coles and prove my point that they are cheaper than Woolies.

Woolies have seemed to drop the ball a little,no more woolies for me.
 

QF WP

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
15,990
Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Actually they did JohnK, thanks for asking. Not really using FB's too much these days (my wife shops at Coles, KMart and a couple of others).
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,938
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Re: Coles Offers

ansettrule said:
Hey all I can't believe all the great savings at Coles this week.
Nappies save $12.00 fantastic for me and my son.
Great on Coffee as well.

I have noticed the savings are getting bigger every week.
Keep them coming Coles and prove my point that they are cheaper than Woolies.

Woolies have seemed to drop the ball a little,no more woolies for me.
I really think that it depends upon where you live (ie which store in particular) and then upon individual items. For us Coles is well ahead of Safeway on most things but not all :!: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,938
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I still think Fly Buys is a waste of effort :!:

:wink: 8) :? :shock:
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,827
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Re: Coles Offers

ansettrule said:
Hey all I can't believe all the great savings at Coles this week.
Nappies save $12.00 fantastic for me and my son.
Not at my Coles :(. The most expensive nappies are Huggies, and their large boxes normally sell for around $37. They are regularly on sale for between $31 and $34 at my local Coles and Woolworths. But I have not seen them down around $25 (for the $12 saving you quote) since Mini-NM#1 was wearing them 13 years ago! Please tell me where I can get them for $25 a box as Mini-NM#4 goes through them fast as any 18 month old.[/quote]
update: Just back from shopping at Coles. Huggies large boxes (90 Toddler size) are $29.99 this week. That is as good as it gets these days. They claim that to be $9 off regular price, though I have not paid more than $34 since one of Wollies and Coles usually has them on sale.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,948
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
straitman said:
I still think Fly Buys is a waste of effort :!:

:wink: 8) :? :shock:
Actually, I don't have a convenient Coles to shop at, but with the bit of Kmart here, Myer there and Targét somwhere else I have managed over the years to get:

•1 Telstra DECT portable 'phone set with dual handsets

•1 Tefal Automatic Toaster

•1 Economy Return FLight MEL-BNE-MEL. (I upgraded this to Business class each way with Certificates, Even better, J Tier Credits and points posted for the sectors) :twisted:
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,938
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
serfty said:
straitman said:
I still think Fly Buys is a waste of effort :!:

:wink: 8) :? :shock:
Actually, I don't have a convenient Coles to shop at, but with the bit of Kmart here, Myer there and Targét somwhere else I have managed over the years to get:

•1 Telstra DECT portable 'phone set with dual handsets

•1 Tefal Automatic Toaster

•1 Economy Return FLight MEL-BNE-MEL. (I upgraded this to Business class each way with Certificates, Even better, J Tier Credits and points posted for the sectors) :twisted:
I'm glad that someone manages to get value. :D :D :D :D
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,948
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
straitman said:
... I'm glad that someone manages to get value. :D :D :D :D
Hmmm.. that's over 10 years.

Total value of redemptions (at today's $$) ~$500, total purchases ~$35,000. (But I would have spent that money anyway.)

Coles Myer use statistics gathered from Flybuys to profile customer groups etc.
 

ansettrule

Intern
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
58
nappies

Well NM where I live Huggies boxes are $41.98 at Coles ,Woolworths and Bilo, the normal special is for about $34.98 or $35.98 but this week are $29.99 and a bargain so I bought 4 boxes and will probably buy some more today before the special ends tonight.
I live in SA and we are getting better specials at Coles than at Woolworths on quite alot of other things as well.
I must spread my budjet further with a new son just arrived and can do this at Coles.
So i say shop where you get the best bargains and for me that is Coles.
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,902
Flights
My Map
Re: nappies

ansettrule said:
So i say shop where you get the best bargains and for me that is Coles.
I think this is the most important point. You need to shop where your particular basket of items is cheapest. For me, it is irrelevant how much Huggies cost and given my singleness not something likely to change anytime soon. So while I do shop at Coles, I find Woolworths is generally cheaper for me (but with them in the same shopping complex, it is pretty easy to chop and change)
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,948
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Re: nappies

oz_mark said:
ansettrule said:
So i say shop where you get the best bargains and for me that is Coles.
I think this is the most important point. ...
Like any one should do, you shop where it is most convenient and cost effective. If you can get some additional benefit out of it for no real additional expense; so be it. Do so and enjoy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...

Community Statistics

Threads
83,644
Messages
1,944,783
Members
51,147
Latest member
Elwynne
Top