Latest information about 28 degrees card | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Latest information about 28 degrees card

We’ve used this card for years and still think it is really good. But we can’t find accurate information about whether you can preload then withdraw cash, without it being treated as a cash advance. Their website doesn’t address the issue. Anyone had actual experience that’s recent? Posts here all seem a bit old. Thanks.

Scr77

You can definitely preload and redraw OS. It’s no longer OS commission free though. I think it was the standard 3%, reasonable IMO.

serfty

Flights
My Map
But we can’t find accurate information about whether you can preload then withdraw cash, without it being treated as a cash advance.
You can't preload this card, it is a credit card.

You can have a positive balance.

For cash advances overseas there are better options.

cove

AFF Supporter
They tend to stop the card working if you load more cash into the card than the credit limit. Less than the credit limit works ok.

Scr77

I paid this card $200 into positive balanced and withdrew at an ATM in Singapore 3 weeks ago without any problems. For me, this was simple and far cheaper than finding SGD in Australia.

I wouldn’t go out of my way to get this card. But it may be a reasonable option for those who already hold it. I haven’t chased other options, as nowadays you don’t need cash like you use to.

You can't preload this card, it is a credit card.

You can have a positive balance.

For cash advances overseas there are better options.

See how confusing even these replies are today..... yes you can, no you can’t! We never use it for anything but a credit card. Will continue just this way as it’s always worked really well for us, including on our latest trip where they got us a refund for the car that didn’t arrive to pick us up at Gatwick last month.

tgh

AFF Supporter
Running into credit limit issues on the road , I tried to overpay and it would not let me.

Scr77

Running into credit limit issues on the road , I tried to overpay and it would not let me.
Can’t overpay via their online direct debit payment system. Just do a BPay from your regular bank account instead. There is a fee for BPay. 95cents IIRC

serfty

Flights
My Map
See how confusing even these replies are today..... yes you can, no you can’t! We never use it for anything but a credit card. ...
I guess the mention of cash & preload in your first post confused things.

In the past it was a great way of getting foreign currency while overseas.

You can still use it for overseas purchases at one of the best exchange rates around as there are no forex fees.

On January 1st 2014 they began charging a fee for cash withdrawals.

So while it was once an inexpensive way of getting cash while overseas - not any more.

Last edited:

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
See how confusing even these replies are today..... yes you can, no you can’t! We never use it for anything but a credit card.
If you are preloading cash, and using that then you are not using the card as a credit card. That is, you are not using the product as it intended. Which is why you won't find anything official on their website about it.

As far as I know, using a scheme linked transaction account affords the same protections as using a credit card,

cove

AFF Supporter
Mrscove uses the 28 degrees card to pay some regular London bills she gets and she keeps the card in credit despite it being a credit card. If that card got hacked it would be a smaller issue than a big limit credit card.

Buzzard

AFF Supporter
For withdrawing cash from overseas atm's I use my Citibank debit card.
Great exchange rate and never paid a fee. I do make sure to use a bank ATM rather than a private one.

serfty

Flights
My Map
My Citibank debit got closed by non use but Mrscove uses hers in the US.
If not too long ago, you can reopen it with a call. If going periods of non use, I just transfer a few dollars in and then out to keep the 'wheels greased'.

• Agree
Reactions: RB

cove

AFF Supporter
I dont need it as I have a US Bank account and US credit cards but Citi debit is a winner with fair exchange rates.

theblank

Established Member
But we can’t find accurate information about whether you can preload then withdraw cash, without it being treated as a cash advance. Their website doesn’t address the issue.
The PDS addresses the issue clearly.

There is *almost* NO credit card in australia that you can preload with credit and use to withdraw cash from ATMS, without costing you cash advance fees, or the other fees. Its wasting your time considering this scenario.

The PDS addresses the issue clearly.

There is *almost* NO credit card in australia that you can preload with credit and use to withdraw cash from ATMS, without costing you cash advance fees, or the other fees. Its wasting your time considering this scenario.

The elderly friends who asked the question of us are likely to go overseas only once more, shortly, and they have decided they will just put cash into 28 degrees and wear the fees for taking cash out. Their choice. They are reluctant to add a third card to their collection, given their age and circumstances.

Not something we ever do or advise but I was interested to hear the views of regular travelers such as ourselves. I think the topic is well and truly covered now thanks.

Reactions: RB

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alwa