Latest information about 28 degrees card | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Latest information about 28 degrees card

We’ve used this card for years and still think it is really good. But we can’t find accurate information about whether you can preload then withdraw cash, without it being treated as a cash advance. Their website doesn’t address the issue. Anyone had actual experience that’s recent? Posts here all seem a bit old. Thanks.

Scr77

AFF Supporter
You can definitely preload and redraw OS. It’s no longer OS commission free though. I think it was the standard 3%, reasonable IMO.

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
But we can’t find accurate information about whether you can preload then withdraw cash, without it being treated as a cash advance.
You can't preload this card, it is a credit card.

You can have a positive balance.

For cash advances overseas there are better options.

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
They tend to stop the card working if you load more cash into the card than the credit limit. Less than the credit limit works ok.

Scr77

AFF Supporter
I paid this card $200 into positive balanced and withdrew at an ATM in Singapore 3 weeks ago without any problems. For me, this was simple and far cheaper than finding SGD in Australia.

I wouldn’t go out of my way to get this card. But it may be a reasonable option for those who already hold it. I haven’t chased other options, as nowadays you don’t need cash like you use to.

You can't preload this card, it is a credit card.

You can have a positive balance.

For cash advances overseas there are better options.

See how confusing even these replies are today..... yes you can, no you can’t! We never use it for anything but a credit card. Will continue just this way as it’s always worked really well for us, including on our latest trip where they got us a refund for the car that didn’t arrive to pick us up at Gatwick last month.

tgh

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Running into credit limit issues on the road , I tried to overpay and it would not let me.

Scr77

AFF Supporter
Running into credit limit issues on the road , I tried to overpay and it would not let me.
Can’t overpay via their online direct debit payment system. Just do a BPay from your regular bank account instead. There is a fee for BPay. 95cents IIRC

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Yes stay under your credit limit with credit funds and it will work ok.

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
See how confusing even these replies are today..... yes you can, no you can’t! We never use it for anything but a credit card. ...
I guess the mention of cash & preload in your first post confused things.

In the past it was a great way of getting foreign currency while overseas.

You can still use it for overseas purchases at one of the best exchange rates around as there are no forex fees.

On January 1st 2014 they began charging a fee for cash withdrawals.

So while it was once an inexpensive way of getting cash while overseas - not any more.

Last edited:

oz_mark

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
See how confusing even these replies are today..... yes you can, no you can’t! We never use it for anything but a credit card.
If you are preloading cash, and using that then you are not using the card as a credit card. That is, you are not using the product as it intended. Which is why you won't find anything official on their website about it.

As far as I know, using a scheme linked transaction account affords the same protections as using a credit card,

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Mrscove uses the 28 degrees card to pay some regular London bills she gets and she keeps the card in credit despite it being a credit card. If that card got hacked it would be a smaller issue than a big limit credit card.

Buzzard

AFF Supporter
For withdrawing cash from overseas atm's I use my Citibank debit card.
Great exchange rate and never paid a fee. I do make sure to use a bank ATM rather than a private one.

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
My Citibank debit got closed by non use but Mrscove uses hers in the US.

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
My Citibank debit got closed by non use but Mrscove uses hers in the US.
If not too long ago, you can reopen it with a call. If going periods of non use, I just transfer a few dollars in and then out to keep the 'wheels greased'.

• Agree
Reactions: RB

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
I dont need it as I have a US Bank account and US credit cards but Citi debit is a winner with fair exchange rates.

theblank

Established Member
AFF Supporter
But we can’t find accurate information about whether you can preload then withdraw cash, without it being treated as a cash advance. Their website doesn’t address the issue.
The PDS addresses the issue clearly.

There is *almost* NO credit card in australia that you can preload with credit and use to withdraw cash from ATMS, without costing you cash advance fees, or the other fees. Its wasting your time considering this scenario.

The PDS addresses the issue clearly.

There is *almost* NO credit card in australia that you can preload with credit and use to withdraw cash from ATMS, without costing you cash advance fees, or the other fees. Its wasting your time considering this scenario.

The elderly friends who asked the question of us are likely to go overseas only once more, shortly, and they have decided they will just put cash into 28 degrees and wear the fees for taking cash out. Their choice. They are reluctant to add a third card to their collection, given their age and circumstances.

Not something we ever do or advise but I was interested to hear the views of regular travelers such as ourselves. I think the topic is well and truly covered now thanks.

Reactions: RB

mel-world

Flights
My Map
For withdrawing cash from overseas atm's I use my Citibank debit card.
Great exchange rate and never paid a fee. I do make sure to use a bank ATM rather than a private one.
I do exactly the same - Citibank Debit for ATM withdrawals and 28 Degrees for everything else - good exchange rate and no fees. On a recent trip to the US, Citibank even absorbed the third party ATM fee a couple of times.

28 Degrees contacted me during the trip re my card activity but once I answered a few automated questions on a call back, there was no further follow-up or disruption for the remainder of the trip. It paid everything from expensive hotels, Uber and train tickets to (expensive) coffees using Samsung Pay.

Buzzard

AFF Supporter
Another card I use overseas is my Coles MasterCard. Same deal as the 28 Degrees, owned by the same bank.

AFF on Air Podcast

• “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andie80