General Discussion/Q&A on Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Page 71 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

General Discussion/Q&A on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
In Melbourne the police have made it very clear that if there are more than 20 people, the organisers will be fined. The police have conceded, however, that it would be impractical to enforce the CMO's directive on everyone attending.
Translation: 'Wink, wink, we are not going to try to enforce it'. I wonder if the police there appreciate that its not so much a fund-raising opportunity, as a disease spreading one?

Maybe 1,000 people should each organise a protest for 50 each at the footy and have a whip-round to pay the fines.

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Just in:

"20 members of the Back o'Melbourne Footy Club has said that they will stage a drink-in tomorrow, followed by a drive to Spring Street to protest against serious matters. Vic Police have cautioned them not to drink and drive, but if they do, they will fine the organisers."

p--and--t

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
I see lots of studies being quoted here and in the media (largely misquoted)?

I thought this was an interesting quote.

4D09A678-C05A-4BF6-8E96-E5300E2D0EE4.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: tgh

drron

Enthusiast
She has been quoted correctly.
It has been something that has slowly been getting worse.I did a research year in 1974 with a boss who was brilliant but just a little intolerant of fools.He told me who to believe in in the field I chose and whose work was a fraud.Indeed we had a UK expert visit the respiratory lab who was on his second list.The boss went round the day before making sure that all our work was under lock and key.

p--and--t

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
I wonder what our grand kids will think when there is a review many years hence into the origins of, actions taken, investigations and reports, and contemplated cures, remedies etc for the covid pandemic and whether they will be shaking their heads at what they read/find.

F4D660B1-1DD2-413C-B116-E982A29C814E.jpeg

drron

Enthusiast
Well in the 1920s and 30s doctors used to recommend asthma cigarettes.Some brands had a magic ingredient-marijuana.Though the common ingredient was a mixture of herbs containing atropine-we still use derivatives of that drug though mainly created in the lab.

Though that Australian report contains an error.The first modern inhaler wasn't using salbutamol (Ventolin) it was metaproperenol (alupent).However fraudulent marketing by the major British drug company convinced the profession to switch to Ventolin.I have tried to avoid their products to this day.

p--and--t

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Interesting times coming up at BA with the reduction in demand due to covid restrictions etc

p--and--t

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Seems SQ much vaunted book a cook has gone by the way of a service enhancement especially on shorter flights - the brown paper bag.

drron

Enthusiast
And enhancements for LH and TK.

And airbus getting irritated.

drron

Enthusiast
Yet another experiment to come up with a solution to manage covid

There are also the monoclonal antibodies that I have referenced before and around the world up to 100 companies working on this.No guarantee of success but antibody therapy has already worked with RSV in children and Ebola.

There has been at least one such antibody produced which neutralises the Covid 19 in vitro.

DC3

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
And now 112,000-plus COVID deaths in the USA, so far.

At least 20 states in the USA showing a rise in the rate of COVID deaths.

• Sad
Reactions: tgh

JohnM

Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
What's happened to all the Australian 'world first' 'breakthroughs' that were going to have this sucker licked in no time?... o_O:oops::confused:

:rolleyes:

Reactions: DC3

Pushka

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
What's happened to all the Australian 'world first' 'breakthroughs' that were going to have this sucker licked in no time?... o_O:oops::confused:

:rolleyes:
That was just the media headline. Read the story and the scientists all said it was a first step of many, assuming each step was successful.

JohnM

Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
That was just the media headline. Read the story and the scientists all said it was a first step of many, assuming each step was successful.
It was a take the p* comment. I'm missing my daily dose of hyperbole of how Australian researchers are seemingly the only ones in the world getting on top of this. :p

But, despite that and what you said, the researchers behind the 'world first' 'breakthroughs' invariably don't exactly fall over themselves to emphasise the extreme limitations of what they are doing.