Fuel Surcharge Increase - Flights to/from Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by oz_mark, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Fuel Surcharge Increase - Flights to/from Hong Kong27 July 2006Effective for bookings made on/after 01 August 2006, the Qantas YQ Fuel and Insurance surcharge will be amended as follows :

USD61.70 for all sectors into and out of Hong Kong (previously USD57.80)

See: Qantas News

2. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Not again! There was an increase only 2 months ago.

3. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Thanks Qantas.

You know you want to move the HKG surcharge up to amount you charge for the rest of the international flights, don't you?

Why be chicken and move it up bit by bit? Scared the HKG government might not approve of the movements?

Hmmm.

I wonder why...

I'm tempted to rename Qantas to "Shaftas".. Now if only I can find an appropriate word tha starts with Q!

4. vt

vt Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Melbourne
    damn the status bonus....I'm flying cathay

5. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Cathay's Fuel Surcharge is currently $US57.80 / sector to/from Australia, so a few dollars cheaper.

6. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #6 serfty, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  7. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The reason is very straight forward. The Hong Kong Government and airport authority sets the maximum amount an airline can charge as a fuel surcharge for flights to and from Hong Kong. So Qantas, and all other airlines operating into and out of HKG cannot set their fuel fines beyond that level. This is also why it is set in US$ as that is the rate defined by the local authorities.

Just be thankful that all countries/airports don't operate the same type of protectionism otherwise we would have different rates for each country/airport and changes on an almost daily basis, and nobody would have a hope of checking that the airlines have actually charged the correct amomunt.

8. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    :idea: Qantas Web Site PDF: INSURANCE/FUEL LEVIES

Note the YQ levies include an ~AUD6 insurance surcharge.

9. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Isn't it a good thing for passengers that some locations are setting max amounts that can be charged. Without the limit, wouldn't QF be charging a higher rate

Dave

10. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    It would be better if they all set the same limit. But imagine the confusion if they call set a different limit.

My thought on fuel fines are well known here. They should all be scrapped immediately and the base fare price adjusted to reflect the cost of delivering the product instead of continuing to treat me (and travellers in general) as an idiot that might just believe its a tax imposed by someone else and that despite the fuel prices the airline is keeping the airfare low just for my benefit :rolleyes:. Sheesh, I just wish the airlines would come clean.