Find the best wines in the sky

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by oz_mark, Mar 3, 2006.

1. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I am sure this is a topic that would generate a lot of debate, but some have had a go at choosing the best wines in the sky. From a NZ article:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/7/story.cfm?c_id=7&ObjectID=10370046

Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

2. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    The St Clair is nice

3. Damien

Damien Member

Aug 29, 2005
    BNE
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't really enjoy any of the QF wine selection.

A steward recently made a big deal out of giving me a bottle of red from the first class cabin after he split my beer on me. I saved it to share with friends, and we were incredibly disappointed with it.

4. neil_gardner

neil_gardner Intern

Nov 26, 2004
    shanghai, PRC
    If you didn't like the Qantas selection, do not fly United. Their idea of a good Aussie wine in Business Class is Wolf Blass Red Label. :shock:

5. shillard

shillard Guest

Good to see some wines that don't come from the Fosters Wine Estates "glue & screw" factories.

Bring on variety - you sure as hell won't get it at Liqourland.....

6. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    There is actually scientific research that argues that wine tastes (albeit slightly but often noticeably) different onboard a plan, rather than down here on the ground.

7. shillard

shillard Guest

Research? More research to demonstrate the blingingly obvious.

You don't need James Halliday's pallete to work that out!

8. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    I agree that the best reds are wasted on anybody at 35,000 feet - one's taste buds are not at their best, neither is the wine...

I'm happy to drink anything that doesn't make me want to spit it out :p or create a bile rush back up my throat :shock: .

Having said that, my wife just went and bought a rough red - a sparkling one at that. But she likes it, so who am I to complain :roll: - didn't last night when we polished off a bottle :p .

For those that insist that they can't drink anything less than Krug or Chateau Rothschild...well there's the SQ queue. Off you go...

9. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    I agree, and would like to add that the Wirra Wirra Scrubby Rise in Y at present on intl routes is fantastic, wnet and brought a case when I got back from SIN last week.

10. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Sometimes your best course of action is to go with the flow.

11. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    SQ now has Chateau Rothschild?! :? :roll:

12. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    How would the same wine compare if at, say, 8,000 feet? Would it taste any different if consumed while enjoying the view at the north rim of The Grand Canyon rather than inside a pressurised tube flying high above it?

Is it the altitude that makes it taste different? Or is it the lack of humidity? Of the movement?

All I can say is that its a god thing that scotch is not similarly affected. The difficulty is getting a decent whiskey in business class (BA and CX seem to lead the way here).

13. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    And beer. :lol:

14. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Nahh, I tend to avoid beer on long flights. It goes through me too fast and I spend too much time congregating in places the US authorities tell us we are not permitted to congregate.

15. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I don't think I have ever seen ratings of Airlines Whiskey's and how they compare. But I certainly can see merit in there being such a ranking.

16. Damien

Damien Member

Aug 29, 2005
    BNE
    I may need to revise my thoughts about the QF selection, as I had a very pleasing Chardonnay yesterday at 35,000 feet. It was pleasing enough to have a couple of glasses, which is more than my taste buds usually allow me.

17. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Actually, Beer is affected by cabin pressure. In in a self appointde task in relation to public interest, I have done considerable analysis on this over the years. :twisted:

I have come to the conclusion that beer appears to froth more and have a larger head at altidute than it does at sea level. This is at any given temperature that it may be served. (hic)

18. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Yes! But it still tastes great. :D

Now to convince the airlines to stock bottled beer instead of cans. :(

19. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    serfty, it looks like you were at altitude (and/or under the influence of your subject matter), when you wrote this. :lol: :oops: