Ethiopian 737 Max 8 crash and Fallout | Page 59 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Ethiopian 737 Max 8 crash and Fallout

serfty

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Boeing 737 Max's Autopilot Has Problem, European Regulators Find | Bloomberg

Europe’s aviation regulator has outlined five major requirements it wants Boeing Co. to address before it will allow the planemaker’s 737 Max to return to service, according to a person familiar with the matter. One of them, about the jet’s autopilot function, hasn’t surfaced previously as an area of concern. ...
Five issues the European Aviation Safety Agency have listed so far are as needing to be addressed are as follows:
  • The potential difficulty pilots have in turning the jet’s manual trim wheel,
  • The unreliability of the Max’s angle of attack sensors,
  • Inadequate training procedures,
  • A software issue pertaining to a lagging microprocessor, and,
  • The autopilot failing to disengage in certain emergencies.
The last one was only recently revealed.

straitman

Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Boeing 737 Max's Autopilot Has Problem, European Regulators Find | Bloomberg

Five issues the European Aviation Safety Agency have listed so far are as needing to be addressed are as follows:
  • The potential difficulty pilots have in turning the jet’s manual trim wheel,
  • The unreliability of the Max’s angle of attack sensors,
  • Inadequate training procedures,
  • A software issue pertaining to a lagging microprocessor, and,
  • The autopilot failing to disengage in certain emergencies.
The last one was only recently revealed.
That list is actually a lot shorter than I thought it would be.

jb747

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
That list is actually a lot shorter than I thought it would be.
The list isn't all that long, but I wonder if it's a wonderful distilling of some extensive and difficult to fix issues down to just a few words. For instance, how do you fix the manual trim wheel issue without major remodelling of the cockpit, and possible total mechanical redesign of the entire trim system? The training issue would best be fixed by removing the MAX from the 737 entirely, and making it a new endorsement. Airlines would hate that, but it would at least ensure the training was adequate.

suze2000

Flights
My Map
Though the A320 cabin is 7 inches wider than the 737, the seat width is not significant wider.
<snip>
That it had massive forward orders demonstrated how cost efficient the aircraft likely was ... on paper. Why have a wider cabin but still only fit 3-3 in a row?. Really the passenger does not care
Stated by someone with a narrow bum, I imagine.
The extra inch matters a lot actually. It IS significantly wider if you have a wide bum or shoulders, or both, or are fat, or travelling with a fat companion. Also in my case, boobs so big, they push my arms out sideways when I sit as well as all the above. And no, I'm not fat enough for a comfort seat, but that extra inch makes very big difference to me. IOW, the passenger DOES care. I clearly remember all the comments made about the torturous journeys when VA started up because of their 737 fleet when at the time QF had mostly 767 and Airbus on the PER routes (or a 747 if you were really lucky). These days, it's hard to avoid the 737, but I *do* try. And I'm not the only one.

I'm also really getting sick of reiterating how much of a difference that "slightly" wider seat can make. :(

suze2000

Flights
My Map
Yes I understand that but here is the rub - most will not care.
They would if they knew there was an actual choice. Most people just get on the plane and think they've gotten fatter or that the squeeze is the same no matter what plane they fly in. THAT's the problem.

AviatorInsight

The MAX name has always been a marketing thing. No where in any manual does it state MAX. It'll always be written as 737-8, -10, etc.

Although the ICAO code is B38M/B39M and the IATA code is 7M8/7M9. So while MAX isn't in the owner's manual, it's in other places and not just the marketing material.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
They would if they knew there was an actual choice. Most people just get on the plane and think they've gotten fatter or that the squeeze is the same no matter what plane they fly in. THAT's the problem.
If there was a choice. There generally wont be a like for like choice.

juddles

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
Question for the avid 737-MAX issue people - I have, for no particular reason, been doing a check on my phone via the ap flightradar24 whenever I have to kill a few minutes. In my regular checks is to see what 737-MAX aircraft are airborne. 99% of the time this can reveal one or two in north west USA, where they clearly are shuffling them around for storage, etc. But quite a few times I have seen an aircraft (using the flightradar filter) that shows one flying within China. Is this an error in plane information, or could there be any reason that some get moved around China?

serfty

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
NY Times opinion article suggest changes need to be made to US regulatory structure/FAA.
Boeing’s stubborn resistance to admit its mistakes — even as those mistakes have delayed the return to operation of 737 Max planes by several months, according to The Wall Street Journal — are turning into a disaster for the company and its customers. Some of the families of the victims testified before Congress on Wednesday.

Even worse, Boeing has found a willing partner in the F.A.A., which allowed the company to circumvent standard certification processes so it could sell aircraft more quickly. Boeing’s inadequate regard for safety and the F.A.A.’s complicity display an unconscionable lack of leadership at both organizations.

Ansett

AFF Supporter
One has to wonder what issues other Aircraft in the Boeing range have been hidden by the company and the FAA. thinking 787 and now the new 777 about to be released.

What new technology is coming to the 777 and how will this effect pilot training requirements when converting from one series to the next will it too be minimal and put passengers at risk as per the 737 debacle.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York – a feat it aims to ach ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pidge