'Devil in plan' of Air NZ Qantas tie up

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Yada Yada, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F

• Like Like x 1

2. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The quote from Tony Marks almost sounds like they have conceeded the battle already. Alternately it could be seen as a plea for sympathy.

Either way this doesn't sound good for the travelling public. :cry: :cry: :x :x

3. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    One would think that less flights on larger aircraft for QF/NZ would be right down PB's alley, unless he actually talking JI.

4. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Not to mention if fares go up DJ has a bigger niche to occupy.

5. Leumas

Leumas Active Member

Jul 5, 2004
    DJ can also put up their prices.

6. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    That's why I mentioned JI. That would really put a hole in DJ/BP fares.

This would probably be the main reason Tony Marks is upset. :roll:

7. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    would be weird earning qf ff points on air nz metal... they'd have to do that right?!

8. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    They don't have to do anything. However, it is reasonable to expect that you would earn QF FF points and SCs if booked on the QF flight number, and earn nothing if booked on the NZ flight number even if operated by QF.

9. shillard

shillard Guest

'Duopoly' - a Greek word meaning 'twice as good'.

10. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    ACA fears for Tasman air routes

From The Australian, a report on the ACA's perspective on this.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18688726%255E23349,00.html

11. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Qantas deal must take off this month or we're out - Fyfe

I don't get what walking away will do if it doesn't happen when they want it to. :roll:

12. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Re: Qantas deal must take off this month or we're out - Fyfe

If you each have 5 flights a day and aircraft are 60-70% full then if you reduce to 4 flights a day the aircraft will be 75-88% full (based on flights with ~300-400 passengers).

You don't need a codeshare arrangement to reduce number of flights! Don't schedule flights to leave together but rather an hour later. Have I missed something or is my mathematics that bad?

13. thadocta

thadocta Active Member

The difference is that by codesharing, you will have eight flights per day, all of which will earn oneworld miles (depending on booking class) or Star Alliance miles.

By reducing the flights each to four per day (without the codeshare) that will leave me as a QF FF with four flights per day. Having four QF flights and four NZ flights (with QF flight numbers) leaves me with eight flights per day.

Presumably, they will get rid of the situation whereby NZ and QF are leaving around the same time, and have a much better spread throughout the day.

Dave

14. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX

I can see how codesharing can help a OneWorld or Star Alliance frequent flyer but I can't see how it will do anything for an airlines bottom line.

The big question is by codesharing would they increase the number of people travelling this route? I don't think so! Would the airfares decrease? I don't think so!

Air NZ and QF, without codesharing, can still reduce their flights to 4 a day, have more passengers per flight, and save costs associated with extra flight.

15. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

By codesharing, there would be 8 aircraft operating the route daily instead of 10. That is a lot less cost to the airlines (fuel, leasing/capital, labour, airport fees etc). Lower costs leads to increased profit and/or lower fares - which one of these wins out depends on pressure from other areas such as competition from other operators.

And by codesaharing, they can schedule the flights to depart at times spread throughout the day. So instead of a choice of 2 carriers with 4 flights departing at say 3 hourly intervals (both carrier's flights departing about the same time), we would have a choice of 8 flights departing at say 1.5 hour intervals. More flight choice to meet my timing/schedule requirements.

So I do agree there is significant benefit to the passengers with greater choice of flight schedules. And there is significant benefit to the airlines in reducing cost. The open question is whether there is enough external influence on airfare pricing from other operators (such as EK, TG, JQ etc) that will result in lower airfares. But even if the fares remain the same, there is benefit to passengers based on greater choice of flight times. The risk is whether the external competition would be low enough that fares may actually rise.

16. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The rub is in the fact that the overall seating capacity would be reduced. This will, by default, increase demand/competition for these seats and thus ensure each flight has fewer empty seats.

With this NZ/QF will be able to compete more effectively with carriers like Emirates.

17. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004

A greater spread of flight times may well increase pax numbers. For example a later flight AKL-SYD would free up seats from the first flight of the next day since many business travellers cannot leave early enough to make the current last flight out.

18. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    From this morning's SMH:

So we should hear about it today.

19. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    And here it is...

20. serfty