Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
I did research this a fair bit and I decided I was happy to:

Last edited:

moa999

Enthusiast
Solutions
technology to make it work properly was offered to the world.

But only without alerting the government.

You get a beep on your phone. You may have been in contact with a Covid positive person. Please isolate for 14 days

How many people are going to ignore that?

jb747

Enthusiast
But only without alerting the government.

You get a beep on your phone. You may have been in contact with a Covid positive person. Please isolate for 14 days

How many people are going to ignore that?
Probably quite a lot. But on the other hand, I'd expect a pretty decent number would follow it up. But the alternative is a government app that doesn't actually work, and which has been uninstalled by many (most?).

moa999

Enthusiast
Solutions
Probably quite a lot. But on the other hand, I'd expect a pretty decent number would follow it up. But the alternative is a government app that doesn't actually work, and which has been uninstalled by many (most?).
The alternative is the check-in systems that the various state governments are running, which probably provides a better record in indoor settings given the fleeting contact that can transmit Delta. Albeit does require a little more effort on behalf of the individual.

About the only place that doesn't cover is public transport.
At least in Sydney they've been encouraging the few who still use public transport to use registered Opal cards, and have been alerting positives on that basis.

nutwood

Established Member
I think the basic flaw is expecting a virus to work in with Bluetooth. Whether or not it's "Delta", all any virus needs is a bit of luck and it's on to the next recipient. This is, and remains, the basic flaw with the app. Trying to use technology, not designed for the purpose and built across a variety of platforms, to determine whether someone is at risk of picking up a virus was only ever going to have limited success. Good stick, poor crutch.
To make it useful, you'd really have to have the phones recording every phone they came near, regardless of time or proximity. 100 people in a shop, that's 10,000 interactions. Following Murphy's law, it might of course be 9801 as one person didn't have their phone on and unfortunately, that one person was the Covid carrier!
On the other hand, log everyone into the shop, 100 records and the possibility of 100% compliance. I dislike the Covid check in system but from a practical point of view, it's far more likely to be effective.

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
About the only place that doesn't cover is public transport.
At least in Sydney they've been encouraging the few who still use public transport to use registered Opal cards, and have been alerting positives on that basis.
Oh, I travel on Hillsbus and they have QR codes at every seat and ask to check in. Strangely though this is only on about 2/3 of the buses I go on. Trains on the other hand yes no QR code check in.

Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Currently Active Users