28 degree adds lounges ["LoungeKey" if 2 Hour delay]

codash1099

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Just received an email from 28 degree with advice that they are introducing access to (some) lounges if your flight is delayed.

Hey Codash

Flight Delay Pass, a fantastic complimentary feature of your 28 Degrees Platinum Mastercard®, lets you lounge around before you fly.

Register your flight, and if it's delayed by two hours or more the drinks, nibbles and Wi-Fi are on us for you and four registered travelling companions, with access to a selection of airport lounges. Alternatively, if a lounge is unavailable, benefit from special dining offers at select cafes and restaurants*.

Click here to view the selected LoungeKey™ airport lounges and the dining options.

clip_image001.png

When it comes to moving you, your money and your property safely on your travels, 28 Degrees has got your back.

The 28 Degrees Platinum Mastercard team

Just thought I'd post this here where the thread would have good visibility as many of us have 28 Degrees MCs.

Got an email today offering free 'delay' protection by offering lounges at airports in the event our scheduled flights are delayed by two hours or more.

It's free, and available as long as you register your flight up to 6 hours prior to departure. If the airline's delay is in their system you get a free lounge pass (similar to priority pass) or a credit for a restaurant. Melbourne has the Plaza Premium lounge listed, as well as Cafe Vue and a couple of others.

This seems like a really cool benefit and thumbs up to 28 Degrees! (This comes on top of the Boingo free wi-fi which we got earlier this year and has been a real benefit at several airports so far this year where public wi-fi has been time limited or otherwise not available unless right inside the terminal).

Its an offer from Mastercard, (not 28 Degrees itself), and its pretty cool, as well as some other good stuff from Mastercard that is popping up.

https://flightdelaypass.mastercard.com/
There is an FAQ here.

not new though, I registered for this 2 months ago. Maybe 28D is staggering their mailout, or I read about it here :)

Last edited:
Email came through a couple of hours back for me.

Reading details (available) seems you do not have to have booked your flight using the card - or am I missing something?

Email came through a couple of hours back for me.

Reading details (available) seems you do not have to have booked your flight using the card - or am I missing something?

That's my interpretation, from the email also just received. If no lounge, then dining offers at restaurants at airport ( again if available).

Between the 2 lounge visits via Priority Pass and this - life just gets better and better.

Almost hope tomorrow's return to Sydney is delayed 2hrs+.... but then I'd be post curfew for landing.

Yes, it does sound cool. You just need to pre-register each and every flight separately (it is too late to register once the flight is delayed).

I wonder what they do with all this information?

I've registered our Qatar flights to CDG and back from MAN. It won't let me register our flight from GOA to LGW as there are no available lounges at GOA.

The lounges are those available to LoungeKey, which is a version of.Priority Pass. You will find lounges are the same for the most part ( although there is a handful that don't seem to be in LoungeKey )

Also note that for international locations you will need your mobile phone to receive the SMS providing the lounge pass details if the flight is delayed. Not a problem for many people, but if you don't normally have international roaming activated then you won't receive the SMS.

It certainly could be a very useful benefit, though for many of us we already have lounge access for most flights. Well done MasterCard and well done to 28 degrees for making card holders aware of thus MC Platinum card benefit.

Also note that for international locations you will need your mobile phone to receive the SMS providing the lounge pass details if the flight is delayed. Not a problem for many people, but if you don't normally have international roaming activated then you won't receive the SMS.

It certainly could be a very useful benefit, though for many of us we already have lounge access for most flights. Well done MasterCard and well done to 28 degrees for making card holders aware of thus MC Platinum card benefit.

Will they not send it via email?
I thought I saw somewhere when I registered yesterday that they will send the lounge passes via SMS & email.

Will they not send it via email?
I thought I saw somewhere when I registered yesterday that they will send the lounge passes via SMS & email.
Yes, you are correct. It is indeed email and SMS. But equally important is to have some form of internet access to receive the email. I guess the Boingo free WiFi benefit also provided to Platinum MasterCard holders (including 28 degrees) may be important.

Yes, you are correct. It is indeed email and SMS. But equally important is to have some form of internet access to receive the email. I guess the Boingo free WiFi benefit also provided to Platinum MasterCard holders (including 28 degrees) may be important.

Thanks for clarifying.
Maybe they expect most international airports to have WiFi access so the email part shouldn't be a problem.

You need to have purchased your ticket using a Mastercard. From the website:

"Mastercard Flight Delay Pass is provided to selected cardholders in Asia Pacific excluding Japan, and available to customers who have purchased their air-ticket using a valid, participating Mastercard card. Mastercard reserves the right to request for proof of purchase with a Mastercard card prior to utilizing the service. The number of lounge passes are limited and will be available on a first come first serve basis. Lounge passes are allocated only upon flight delays, and not at the point of registration. Please refer to Terms of Use for more information."

You need to have purchased your ticket using a Mastercard. From the website:

"Mastercard Flight Delay Pass is provided to selected cardholders in Asia Pacific excluding Japan, and available to customers who have purchased their air-ticket using a valid, participating Mastercard card. Mastercard reserves the right to request for proof of purchase with a Mastercard card prior to utilizing the service. The number of lounge passes are limited and will be available on a first come first serve basis. Lounge passes are allocated only upon flight delays, and not at the point of registration. Please refer to Terms of Use for more information."

Does this apply to 28 Degrees cardholders? I don't see any reference to needing to book the flight using a 28 Degrees credit card in order to access this benefit.

https://flightdelaypass.mastercard.com/termsAndConditions/28degrees

I think the T&Cs you've quoted are from somewhere else.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back