Will you vaccinate with Conoravirus vaccine when one is available? | Page 11 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Will you vaccinate with Conoravirus vaccine when one is available?

DC3

Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
And not to disappoint @tgh UQ announces it's vaccines early results ....
Has the Australian Government had much to say about UQ? I may have missed that. I know that they are looking at Oxford.

flyingfan

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Has the Australian Government had much to say about UQ? I may have missed that. I know that they are looking at Oxford.
Seems deputy CMO just saying it's encouraging so far, rather than PM signing up like Oxford. I guess it's the more irons in the fire the better.

Reactions: DC3

drron

Enthusiast
Not everyone is keen on vaccination.Quite high levels of people not wanting it.
1599301849011.png .

And apparently the Russian vaccine OK in Phase 2 trials.From this link you can access the full Lancet article.

One of the leaders of Operation Warp speed thinks it unlikely for large numbers of vaccine doses being available by the end of the year.

lovetravellingoz

Not everyone is keen on vaccination.Quite high levels of people not wanting it.
View attachment 226942 .

And apparently the Russian vaccine OK in Phase 2 trials.From this link you can access the full Lancet article.

One of the leaders of Operation Warp speed thinks it unlikely for large numbers of vaccine doses being available by the end of the year.

Well I can't blame the Russians given how the Russian vaccine is being rushed through without the appropriate process.

HokitikaGold

Regarding the initial, OP, question of taking a vaccine, my answer is even more "no" than before. I want to see what a vaccine does to thousands, before taking it myself. Too much politics and pressure right now. Isn't that what usual testing does??

• Haha
Reactions: DC3

p--and--t

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Regarding the initial, OP, question of taking a vaccine, my answer is even more "no" than before. I want to see what a vaccine does to thousands, before taking it myself. Too much politics and pressure right now. Isn't that what usual testing does??
I’ll twist the response to the question. Yes I’ll get vaccinated when one is available (I cant get vaccinated before one is available 😂)

Caveat: it will have to be a vaccine that has been tested sufficiently that trustworthy admins of reputable health authorities advise it is safe and effective that is is both worthy of implementation and registered for use (the current US administration or Russian administration are not in the list of ones I would trust).

jakeseven7

Established Member
The vaccine that comes out will only be partially effective, certainly the first generation - it’s just going to be a PR tool for governments to use to force everything open again anyway. The virus will continue to exist and infect, so it’s important we learn how to live with that.

Credit cards which earn frequent flyer points is a popular way to earn frequent flyer points. You can receive thousands of points on everyday spend. And, many of these cards offer generous signup bonuses! Compare to find the credit card that best suits your needs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

jakeseven7

Established Member
I’ll twist the response to the question. Yes I’ll get vaccinated when one is available (I cant get vaccinated before one is available 😂)

Caveat: it will have to be a vaccine that has been tested sufficiently that trustworthy admins of reputable health authorities advise it is safe and effective that is is both worthy of implementation and registered for use (the current US administration or Russian administration are not in the list of ones I would trust).
Just to flag the TGA works hand in glove with the FDA, they have very strong bilateral agreements to basically report rubberstamp anything either of them vetts/ researches, approves etc. There are several countries in this agreement with AU and the US... it’s public info.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
The vaccine that comes out will only be partially effective, certainly the first generation - it’s just going to be a PR tool for governments to use to force everything open again anyway. The virus will continue to exist and infect, so it’s important we learn how to live with that.
Isn't that exactly what you wanted? Everything to be forced open?

The vaccine will be paired with treatments and cures, and a constantly mutating virus that is becoming less virulent month by month. All of this should be leading to mapping a realistic way out of restrictions sometime in the new year.

Lynda2475

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
So it seems both the Oxford and UQ vaccines should they prove safe and effective will be manufactured in Victoria. Whilst it is reassuring that we will have a supply produced locally does anyone else share my concern that all production will be in Victoria? Surely we could produce one of them in another state, to offset the risk of a 3rd wave slowing production?

p--and--t

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Was interesting to hear various statements tonight from Prof Young who is heading up vaccine testing for UQ, and asked about a date for a vaccine in general, not just his:

"any vaccine being deployed by Christmas is unlikely".
This is in the light of "his team working around the clock"
and "It's dangerous to push too hard".
"People should keep a realistic time-frame in mind"
"I know that there is an urgency and there is a desire to get something out there more quickly ... but we are accelerating things as fast as possible."
"I've said right from the very start, that this won't be a race where there'll be one winning vaccine,"
"It's a race by all of us in vaccine development to beat the virus, and I suspect in the end we will need multiple vaccines."

If you want to see the interview it was on 7:30 on ABC

drron

Enthusiast

drron

Enthusiast
A bit of optimism.dr.fauci says a vaccine possible by November,December this year.

As usual poorer countries not going to be at the head of the queue for a vaccine.
1600505041522.png .

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nigel Feather