Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Where to transfer AMEX - velocity or krisflyer

Hi all...

Due to me being overseas and not keeping an eye on it - I need to transfer my 300k AMEX points out before the devaluation hits....

My situation?

1) I will be back in Melbourne from the end of the year

2) I do most of my flying into Asia/Japan and domestically (although both velocity and krisflyer aren't that great as they don't have direct mel-Tokyo flights). The occasional European leg too

3) I have 180k Velocity points (from my last rush transfer from citibank!)

I am considering converting to Krisflyer and in the chance I don't use the points, transferring them to velocity at the end of 3 years....

Going forward though (as crazy as this sounds) I will be probably accumulating Qantas points.

What do people think?

Cheers

lovetravellingoz

Solutions
Qantas points.

While it depends where and how one wants to travel (redeem) collecting QFF points in preference to Krisflyer mainly only makes sense IMO if you have status with them and/or say have many work flights on QFF.

If you are using your own coin to buy flights there are normally better options than Qantas even sans points.

Personally I collect in multiple programs to maximise earn and burn as for example some earn opportunities only go to one program.

Krisflyer will post devaluation remain my program of choice. Velocity and QFF balances will continue to grow as I harvest opportunities as they arise.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry - I should have made it clearer. Unfortunately I can't transfer to Qantas as I didn't go with Qantas Direct (which I probably should have), and it's not an option with the platinum reserve.

I'm leaning towards Krisflyer for now...

If you're regularly going Mel-Tokyo, JAL had great availability for J returns with QFF at 156k + $300ish taxes and fines. QFF directly in comparison had very little availability and much larger taxes (but slightly lower points requirements).

Managed to fairly easily book 2 without any status mid last year.

Krisflyer generally is great for Asia and Europe.

Coops1

I'll end up transferring half (100k) to Etihad, and take advantage of the Hba- Syd or Hba- Bne business class at 13800 points. already transferred 28000, took 2 days to arrive in Etihad Guest.

Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

andye

Established Member
Solutions
Virgin
Platinum
Why not Asia Miles. Should have similar availability as Qantas on QF or JAL flights
The mileage table is not the best for MEL-TYO however as just over the 5000 miles circle making it 60K J. It is better for SYD-TYO at 45K J

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mailspedia