Westpac Altitude Plat 60k points and fee free year 1 for existing WBC customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I applied through the Westpac Website online I noted the following points:
1. The bold header introducing the promotion clearly stated the zero annual fee AND the 60K bonus QFF points.
2. The fine print at the bottom of the web page did confirm that the offer was first year annual waiver plus 60K bonus points.
3. It did not say that the promotion was for in-branch and telephone applications only, that's why we accidentally applied online and we were charged the annual fee, but subsequently reversed by telephone after attending local branch to explain our error.
4. Halfway down the page in the summary of fees and charges it mentioned an annual fee of $395, which contradicted the header and fine print.
5. I only discovered my error when I went back to OZ bargain web page where it mentioned the promotion was for branch/ telephone applications only, so off we went to the local branch to correct.

I know what I am saying is accurate because I would never apply for a card with a hefty $395 annual fee just to receive bonus points.

When I went down to the local branch to tell them that I wasn't aware that the zero annual fee & points were for in-branch only applications, the staff were well aware of the promotion - $0 annual fee+ 60k bonus points, and when I telephoned to reverse the annual fee, they did not dispute that I was entitled to a fee waiver. And the bonus points posted fine.

The offer did change as you mention shortly after that to say you had to pay the $395 annual fee to bank the bonus points. I believe I mentioned this also somewhere in this forum.

All good then if you have the evidence to support your claim but I can help feel there are many who will be having a number of arguments with the bank if they don't have the offer PDFd.

All good then if you have the evidence to support your claim but I can help feel there are many who will be having a number of arguments with the bank if they don't have the offer PDFd.
I understand what you're saying but the bank didn't request any evidence from me , which probably suggests that the promotion did exist at the time of my application or else why would they have honoured it without any written proof ?

In my view what Westpac did was stuff up the promotions... They simultaneously advertised a few promotions requiring online applications but didn't give you a way to select which promotion you wanted when applying. (e.g. 60K and $0 fee, or 60k and 0% balance transfer, or other combinations etc.)

Here is a capture of the promotions page during April for anyone who needs it as evidence.

This capture clearly indicates that existing customer were eligible for $0 annual fee via online applications.

Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 10.00.53 pm.jpg

Edit: Can't seem to make the image show as full size??

The $0 annual fee in first year for existing Westpac customers promotion says that the

"promotion is not available in conjunction with any other promotion other than the current balance transfer available at card application, promotional purchase rate offer or any bonus points offer".

Is the above a contradictory statement ?

The $0 annual fee in first year for existing Westpac customers promotion says that the

"promotion is not available in conjunction with any other promotion other than the current balance transfer available at card application, promotional purchase rate offer or any bonus points offer".

Is the above a contradictory statement ?
Contradictory to what?

"not available in conjunction with any other promotion other than"

The way I interpret the above statement is that the $0 annual fee for existing WBC customers promotion IS AVAILABLE in conjunction with other promotions - 0% balance transfer, promotional rate offer and bonus points offer.

"not available in conjunction with any other promotion other than"

The way I interpret the above statement is that the $0 annual fee for existing WBC customers promotion IS AVAILABLE in conjunction with other promotions - 0% balance transfer, promotional rate offer and bonus points offer.

This means, the $0 annual fee isn't available with any other product apart from the ones listed. i.e. it is available with balance transfer, promotional rate and bonus points but nothing else.

This means, the $0 annual fee isn't available with any other product apart from the ones listed. i.e. it is available with balance transfer, promotional rate and bonus points but nothing else.

That's exactly my understanding !

Now I understand, I think.

I think by itself the statement is fine but would tend to agree it contradicts the following statement that appears in the More About the Bonus Points section in Altitude Black Rewards Credit Cards - Personal Credit Cards | Westpac

Namely

"In order to be eligible customers must have been charged the standard annual fee."

Now I understand, I think.

I think by itself the statement is fine but would tend to agree it contradicts the following statement that appears in the More About the Bonus Points section in Altitude Black Rewards Credit Cards - Personal Credit Cards | Westpac

Namely

"In order to be eligible customers must have been charged the standard annual fee."

In my case the annual fee was charged, subsequently reversed and the bonus points posted fine.

So I was eligible to the promotional bonus points because I was charged the annual fee.

Is this correct ?

Applied and was approved last week when the Westpac site clearly showed the offer being 60K points bonus if you applied between 20 April and 30 June and made first purchase by 31 July. I haven't collected my cards yet but the offer has subsequently been pulled online. However, the following link still works if anyone is thinking of applying:

Westpac Altitude Black Credit Card

Visit westpac.com.au
hero-d.jpg
offer-box.png
New cards only. Conditions apply.​
Apply now
Or call 1300 737 331
60 second
online response
Visit your nearest branch

Altitude Black - the credit you deserve.

Westpac's most rewarding credit card offers you our highest earn rate, with no points capping, a choice of two great reward programs - Altitude Rewards or Altitude Qantas - plus 60,000 bonus Altitude Points or Qantas Points after your first eligible purchase made by 31 July 20151, as well as 0% p.a. on purchases for 6 months from card approval2.

Altitude Black features:

• Special promotion: Receive 60,000 bonus Altitude or Qantas Points with a new Altitude Black credit card after your first eligible purchase made by 31 July 20151
  • Special promotion: 0% p.a. interest on purchases for 6 months from card approval on new Altitude Black credit cards. After 6 months the interest rate will switch to the variable purchase rate then applicable to your card account, currently 20.24% p.a.2
  • No points capping, and Westpac's highest earn rate. The number of points you earn on your Altitude Black card account is uncapped, with $1 spent on eligible purchases earning the following points:
    Per $1 spent on eligible purchasesAltitude Rewards - Altitude Points3Altitude Qantas - Qantas Points4
    Altitude Black World MasterCard®
    (Australian merchants)​
    1.25 points0.625 points
    Altitude Black World MasterCard®
    (overseas merchants)​
    3 points1.5 points
    Westpac Altitude Black American Express® Card
    (Australian and overseas merchants)​
    3 points1.5 points
  • With Altitude Rewards each year you'll receive two complimentary lounge passes with your complimentary Priority Pass membership after you first register with your Altitude Black American Express® Card, to use at your choice of over 700 VIP airport lounges in over 400 cities in 120 countries, regardless of the class of travel or airline you're flying. To use your pass you need to first enrol at altitudeblack.com.au5
  • With Altitude Qantas, you'll receive two complimentary Qantas Club Lounge invitations per year, ideal to share with friends or family. To receive your pass, you need to first register ataltitudeblack.com.au and then use your Altitude Black card to purchase Qantas products and services in Australia6
  • Altitude Black Travel service, which can help you plan and book every aspect of your journey7
  • With your Altitude Black World MasterCard®, you'll be fast tracked to elite Gold Preferred Guest Membership status with Starwood Hotels and Resorts when you enrol as a Starwood Preferred Guest Gold member and register for this promotion and stay and pay for the eligible stay and all services in the Asia Pacific region using your Altitude Black World MasterCard®8
  • A dedicated Altitude Black Concierge service and access to the exclusive Altitude Black Card Concierge iPhone application9
  • The Altitude Black Card Priority Service line, available 24/7 for any Westpac card-related queries
  • A range of complimentary insurance cover, as set out in the policy, including:10
    • Overseas Travel Insurance
    • Extended Warranty Insurance
    • Transit Accident Insurance
  • Optional Repayment Cover. Credit Card Repayment Protection helps cover your repayments, if you unexpectedly lose your job, or can’t work due to sickness or injury. Premiums apply11
  • The convenience of two credit cards with one monthly statement and one credit limit
Interest rates.

• On purchases - 0% p.a. for 6 months from card approval. After 6 months the rate switches to the variable purchase rate then applicable to your card account, currently 20.24% p.a.2
  • On cash advances - 21.49% p.a. (variable)
  • On balance transfers when requested at card application - 3.99% p.a. for 6 months. The variable cash advance rate will apply to balances(s) transferred but left unpaid at the end of the promotional period12

Interest free days on purchases and more.

• Up to 45 days interest free on purchases when your full closing balance in full (including any balance transfer amount) is paid by the statement due date
  • Annual fee currently $395
  • Minimum credit limit $15,000
  • Minimum income to apply $75,000 p.a.

Special promotions are available on new credit cards only and you must apply between 20 April 2015 and 30 June 2015.

Apply now
Or call 1300 737 331
60 second
online response

logo-footer-d.png

Things you should know:

Related Documents:
Consumer Credit Card Conditions of Use (PDF 230kb)
Westpac Credit Cards Complimentary Insurance Policy (PDF 770kb)
Westpac Rewards Cards Concierge Service Terms and Conditions (PDF 153kb)
Credit Card Repayment Protection Product Disclosure Statement (PDF 222kb)
Altitude Rewards and Altitude Qantas Terms and Conditions (PDF 193k)

Fees, charges and credit criteria apply. Read the terms and conditions available for download above before making a decision
1. Special promotion - 60,000 bonus Altitude or Qantas Points: The bonus points promotion is available when you apply for a new Altitude Black credit card between 20 April 2015 and 30 June 2015 and make your first eligible purchase made by 31 July 2015. The bonus points depends on your choice of Rewards Program. Eligible purchase does not include fees, cash, cash equivalent transactions, refunds and balance transfers debited from the card account. Switches, upgrades, customers accessing employee benefits or packaged cards are ineligible. In order to be eligible, customers must have been charged the standard annual fee. This promotion only applies to one account in the customer's name and is not available in conjunction with any other promotion other than the balance transfer promotion available at card application and special promotional rate of 0% p.a. on purchases for 6 months. The bonus points will be added to your points balance (Altitude Rewards or Qantas Frequent Flyer membership account) within three months after the first purchase transaction is debited to your account.
2. Special promotion: 0% p.a. on purchases for 6 months: The introductory rate of 0% p.a. on purchases for 6 months applies from card approval when you apply for a new Westpac Altitude Black credit card between 20 April 2015 and 30 June 2015. After 6 months, the introductory purchase rate will switch to the variable purchase rate then applicable to your card account. The introductory rate on purchases is not available in conjunction with any promotion other than the special promotional bonus points offer and the balance transfer offer available at card application. Switches, upgrades, customers accessing employee benefits or packaged cards are ineligible.
3. The earning and redemption of Altitude Points is subject to the Altitude Rewards Terms and Conditions. You do not receive points if your card account is in arrears for two consecutive statement cycles and in other circumstances. Refer to the Altitude Rewards and Altitude Qantas Terms and Conditions for information on how you earn points on payments to the Australian Taxation Office.
4. The earning and redemption of Qantas Points is subject to the Altitude Qantas Terms and Conditions. You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem points in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. You do not receive points if your card account is in arrears for 2 consecutive statement cycles and in other circumstances. Refer to the Altitude Rewards and Altitude Qantas Terms and Conditions for information on how you earn points on payments to the Australian Taxation Office.
5. Priority Pass Membership: To enrol, go to prioritypass.com/axwestpacblack. Lounge usage in excess of two visits and all guest visits will be charged directly to your Altitude Black American Express card at the visit fee currently US$27 per person, per visit. The first two visits within each 12 month membership period are complimentary to the primary cardholder only, after which every visit would be charged as per the prevailing rates. Any accompanying guests will be charged US$27 per visit, which will be automatically charged on the cardholder's Altitude Black American Express card. The date of visits determines which year of membership the visit is allocated to. Unused visits cannot be carried forward to the following year of membership. The number of free visits will be reset to two per each 12-month period. For full details, visit the Priority Pass website at prioritypass.com/conditions-of-use.cfm
6. Qantas Club Lounge Invitations: To be eligible for the two complimentary Qantas Club Lounge invitations, you must first register at https://loungepass.altitudeblack.com.auand then use your Altitude Black Card in Australia to purchase selected Qantas products and services. Selected Qantas products and services are the following items purchased directly from Qantas: Qantas passenger flights (with a QF flight number), Qantas Frequent Flyer and Qantas Club membership joining and annual fees. Excludes Jetstar, Qantas Holidays, Qantas branded non-airfare products and any Qantas products and services not purchased directly from Qantas. Each year, you will receive two complimentary lounge invitations once you have made the required spend on selected Qantas products and services. Qantas Club Lounge Invitations are provided courtesy of Westpac, and are valid for Qantas Club and Qantas operated international Business Lounges only. Not valid in International First Class lounges, Chairman's Lounge, Qantas Domestic Business, Qantas oneworld® alliance airline, partner airline or associated lounges. Each invitation is valid for a single visit before the date specified on the invitation, when travelling with Qantas or Jetstar with a QF or JQ flight number. Access and use is subject to Qantas Club rules which are available at qantas.com/qantasclub. The two Qantas Club Lounge invitations will be sent to your Card account mailing address within 4 weeks of your eligible card spend, provided you are not in breach of the Conditions of Use and your account remains open. The two Qantas Club Lounge invitations will expire on the date printed on the invitations. Qantas Club Lounge invitations will not be issued to customers who do not first register at altitudeblack.com.au prior to making the eligible card spend.
7. Altitude Travel Service is operated by Pinpoint Travel Group Pty Ltd. Licence No. 2TA002974. Altitude Travel charges a 2% credit card usage fee. This fee is correct as at 9 November 2014 and is subject to change. For more information visit the Altitude Rewards website or call Altitude Travel on 1300 651 999.
8. Starwood Preferred Guest: Enrol online at spg.com/westpacworldmastercard or call 1800 072 525. The complimentary upgrade to Gold status ('Promotion') is valid only for World MasterCard® cardholders who are enrolled as Starwood Preferred Guest® Gold members ('SPG Members') at the Preferred Guest Tier, and who have registered for the Promotion, qualified with an eligible stay and made full payment for the eligible stay and all services during the eligible stay with a World MasterCard. Blackout dates and other restrictions may apply to the Promotion Membership. The Starwood Preferred Guest Program is governed by the terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest Program, which can be found at spg.com/worldmastercardgoldupgrade or spg.com. Participation in the Promotion constitutes acceptance of and agreement with the Promotion Terms and Conditions. For full Terms and Conditions, please go to spg.com/westpacworldmastercard
9. Concierge Services are subject to the Westpac Rewards Cards Concierge Service Terms and Conditions at westpac.com.au
10. Complimentary Insurance covers: Zurich Australian Insurance Limited ABN 13 000 296 640 AFSL 232507 (Zurich) issues these covers to Westpac Banking Corporation under separate Master Policies and is liable for the risks insured. Terms, conditions, exclusions and limits apply. No Westpac Group company has any liability in connection with the insurance policies. Policy wording may be obtained by calling 1300 859 100 or by downloading the Westpac Credit Cards Complimentary Insurance Policy atwestpac.com.au
11. Credit Card Repayment Protection is issued by Westpac General Insurance Limited ABN 99 003 719 319 (WGIL) (who issues the unfit for work cover and the job loss cover) and Westpac Life Insurance Services Limited ABN 31 003 149 157 (WLIS) (who issues the death cover). This insurance product is distributed by Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 (the Bank). The Bank does not guarantee payments under the policy. This is general information only. Read the Product Disclosure Statement, available in branch, to see if Credit Card Repayment Protection is right for you.
12. Special Promotion - 3.99% p.a. for 6 months on balance transfers requested at card application: The promotional balance transfer rate is available when you apply for a new Altitude Black card between 20 April 2015 and 30 June 2015 and request at application to transfer balance(s) from up to 3 non-Westpac Australian issued credit, charge or store cards. The rate will apply to balance(s) transferred (min $200 up to 95% of your approved available credit limit) for 6 months, unless the amount is paid off earlier. Card activation will trigger the processing of the balance transfer. The variable cash advance rate currently 21.24% p.a. will apply to balance(s) transferred but left unpaid at the end of the promotional period. Westpac will not be responsible for any delays that may occur in processing payment to your other card account(s) and will not close the account(s). Switches, upgrades, customers accessing employee benefits or packaged cards are ineligible. Promotional rate not available in conjunction with any other promotion other than the special promotional bonus points offer and special promotional rate of 0% p.a. on purchases for 6 months. The variable cash advance interest rate applies to balance transfers requested at any other time. Interest free days don't apply to balance transfers.
MasterCard® and the MasterCard brand mark are registered trademarks and PayPass™ is a trademark of MasterCard International Incorporated. American Express® is a registered trademark of American Express. The Westpac Altitude Black American Express Card is issued by Westpac Banking Corporation pursuant to a license from American Express. iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.
© 2015 Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714.

In my case the annual fee was charged, subsequently reversed and the bonus points posted fine.

So I was eligible to the promotional bonus points because I was charged the annual fee.

Is this correct ?
That's how I would interpret it but a noted there is contradiction on that page itself, QF page seemed to advertise it slightly differently, WBC seemed to change the promo halfway through (to add the "In order to be eligible customers must have been charged the standard annual fee." statement) and there was an unadvertised offer (at least not officially advertised - Ozbargain does not count) available in branch and by phone - but not all staff were aware of this and/or provided variable information.

So Im not sure if there were multiple (different) offers, just some bad wording and/or branch/customer service staff were just making it up as they went along because they had not been properly informed/trained! With so much uncertainty and lack of clarity hard to come to any definitive view.

Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

After calling Westpac the CSR claimed the $0 offer was only for telephone applications. After insisting it was advertised on their website they transferred me to customer relations who seemed aware of the promotion and confirmed that those applying online will get the points.. they said you should see the points around July/August. I requested they make note of this on my file which they did. I'm not holding my breath!

After calling Westpac the CSR claimed the $0 offer was only for telephone applications. After insisting it was advertised on their website they transferred me to customer relations who seemed aware of the promotion and confirmed that those applying online will get the points.. they said you should see the points around July/August. I requested they make note of this on my file which they did. I'm not holding my breath!

Given the number of different stories we are hearing I think you are wise but I'll be chasing this myself.

60k points credited today, applied online no annual fee charged and card is on 0% for 6 months.

Not sure which thread to post this in but had my 60k bonus points show up on my 3rd statement today.

I was one of the apply in branch, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] year annual fee waived with 6month 3.99%?? balance transfer mob. With all the talk in these threads I was a bit worried I’d have to call them up to get the bonus points but thankfully no such dramas!

Just got my second statement with 60k bonus points.

I wasn't an existing Westpac customer, applied over the phone and haven't been charged the annual fee.

Great experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back