Webjet

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonM

Just got an email in from Amex:

[SIZE=-1]They say that nothing expands your horizons like travelling. That's why we're excited to launch our newest partner Webjet and showcase our latest offers this Autumn.

Webjet is Australia's largest online travel service^. And now, if the airline and fare is available on Webjet, you can use your Membership Rewards points to book it there and then. It's simple, 10,000 points is equal to $100 worth of travel.
[/SIZE]

Might be able to use those points after all.

It's the same rate as you get using AMex travel - note that all else being Equal, with Webjet's booking fee, Amex travel is generally less expensive than WebJet.

same email - Travelscene Amex does flights, hotels, cruises and tours with points. Webjet can only do airfares.

[SIZE=-1]They say that nothing expands your horizons like travelling[/SIZE]

Any letter that starts off with the above & I would run a mile in the opposite direction. Smacks of them trying to make something seem better than it is. I would go immediately to the small print.

Involving any third parties eg Amex, Webjet etc is bound to be more expensive dollars wise or points wise because you're going to have to pay for their 'services'.

IMHO going direct to the airline website would surely be the best alternative because it eliiminates any middle man and associated costs for servicing. I'm happy to be corrected if there are any examples to the contrary.

Kind of like real estate agents and their repertoire of:

"loads of old world charm" (so old that it's still in its original state from 1960)

"neat as a pin" (so small you couldn't swing a cat)

"put your own touches on it/might need a lick of paint" (call renovation rescue)

Involving any third parties eg Amex, Webjet etc is bound to be more expensive dollars wise or points wise because you're going to have to pay for their 'services'.

IMHO going direct to the airline website would surely be the best alternative because it eliiminates any middle man and associated costs for servicing. I'm happy to be corrected if there are any examples to the contrary.

If you take your Amex points to an airline, I doubt you'll get very far. I'm not aware of any airline that accepts Amex MR points for anything...

AC
If you take your Amex points to an airline, I doubt you'll get very far. I'm not aware of any airline that accepts Amex MR points for anything...

Well I guess you would need to get one of those Amex cards that does allow you to transfer points to an airline otherwise your only option is to use points for useless items from their glossy MR catalogue.

FWIW I did take my points to an airline (QF) while I still could then I canned the membership rewards facility because for me it was not worth paying $80.00 per annum for the privilege of maybe earning enough points to one day do a redemption for a $30.00 electric kettle.

I'll be cancelling the Amex card soon anyway for my own good because just the other day while I was waiting for Boost Juice to make my smoothie & I just popped into Angus & Coote as they were having a 50% off sale & without any warning the card jumped out of my wallet, threw itself across the counter & before I knew I was the proud owner of a new necklace! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well I guess you would need to get one of those Amex cards that does allow you to transfer points to an airline otherwise your only option is to use points for useless items from their glossy MR catalogue.

Amex MR points (which is what you'd be able to use at Webjet) are not redeemable for anything with an airline directly.

Instead, the best you can do is have them converted to an airline's FF points scheme, and then you bound by the T&Cs (and seat availability) of that scheme.

It's all very well to say that redeeming a seat using QF/AA/CX points is "better value", but seats are limited. Using the Webjet route, your points convert directly into a $ value that can be redeemed for anything that Webjet sells.

So, your argument that you always get better value by cutting out the middleman doesn't really hold in this case. There is no alternate option that allows you to do that (QANTAS "AnySeat" is possibly an exception, but we all know how good value that is - about the same as 100 points = $1 - but limited to QANTAS seats only)

Amex MR points (which is what you'd be able to use at Webjet) are not redeemable for anything with an airline directly. Instead, the best you can do is have them converted to an airline's FF points scheme, and then you bound by the T&Cs (and seat availability) of that scheme.

If you want to pay $80.00 per annum for the MR facility go fo it. Alternatives are to get a Qantas Amex card of some kind or an ANZ QF fflyer visa card where you can use with the airline directly. There is life after American Express believe it or not.

So, your argument that you always get better value by cutting out the middleman doesn't really hold in this case.

Actually I beg to differ. Compare booking a return flight on the Virgin Blue website (10-17 Mar BNE/DRW/BNE) of $229.00 plus $7.00 credit card surcharge (total $236.00) Webjet charge $229.00 plus $7.00 cc fee plus $9.95 "Webjet booking price guarantee" & wait there's definitely more - a massive $19.95 "Webjet processing fee" total of $265.90 30 cents short of $30.00 extra for what???

I would not use Webjet on principle because of their exorbitant fees - I couldn't care less what their availability is like. I will happily continue booking direct with the airlines. Have never had a problem with getting the seats I want so far.

It comes down to whatever floats your boat or horses for course I guess.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you want to pay $80.00 per annum for the MR facility go fo it. Alternatives are to get a Qantas Amex card of some kind or an ANZ QF fflyer visa card where you can use with the airline directly. There is life after American Express believe it or not.
It really is a horses for courses exercise.

With a Platinum Amex charge card you can collect MR points and transfer to QF, or lots of other places, for no extra cost.

I wonder if the webjet use of rewards points can be used to cover Accommodation?

That would make it an interesting leverage of the points system to cover the travel and accom on points.

Last edited:
I wonder if the webjet use of rewards points can be used to cover Accommodation?

That would make it an interesting leverage of the points system to cover the travel and accom on points.

The existing Travelscene option certainly lets you use points for accommodation too - and no bogus fees like Webjet charges either.

Regardless of the merits and value per point, has anyone actually used amex points to book a flight with webjet ?

I followed the amex link and had to sign up as a webjet member, checked a few domestic flights and took things as far as I dared and saw no options to pay by points only pay by PayPal or pay by credit card direct.

I like using the amex MR travel for domestic flights as I can pay fully with points and no credit card costs or additional charges. Also I get 1000 points + status from Qantas for my short flight to Brisbane even though I used 8000 to 10000 MR points to purchase the flight.

If you used webjet, did you get a total points price or did you have to use your points then pay the fees by credit card along with a credit card payment fee ?

I notice today, that there is now an option for paying with amex points with a banner saying save $15.40 which is the same saving as paying by PayPal. That would be the charge for credit card surcharge. Also I noticed that the webjet charges are the same for 2 passengers as for 1 passenger, so that would bring the fee per person down.

My friend (Chimpy) booked a flight from Brisbane - Townsville - Rockhampton for 2 for $127 total. We tried booking that flight through Amex Rewards and the Qantas Web Page and it was not available for purchase. So that's one tick for Webjet as they got the current $49 special for two flight legs and paid $29 in fees between them. They should earn 2000 QFF points each as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back