- Jan 9, 2007
from Virgin Blue > Name a Plane? Name an Airline? Competition - Discount Fares Every Weekday Between 12 and 1
Virgin Blue is set to launch Australia's newest international airline in late 2008 offering direct flights between Australia and the United States of America. It will join Virgin Blue's family of airlines which includes Virgin Blue, Pacific Blue and Polynesian Blue.
The new airline and long haul fleet is yet to be named and, while we have some favourites in mind, we know our fellow Australians have great imaginations too, so we're asking for ideas - Could you name an airline? Could you name a plane?
The Australian public named Virgin Blue when we launched domestic flights almost seven years ago and we want to keep the tradition going. So send us your suggestions and if we like them, it's quite possible your inspiration could be flying across the Pacific on one of our new planes...or even as the name of Australia's newest international carrier which is planned to take to the skies next year.
Virgin Blue is partnering with the Mix Network (Mix106.5, Mix101.1, Mix102.3 and 97.3FM) to jointly promote the competition across Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. The competition isn't limited to MIX FM listeners, you can enter from anywhere in Australia and if you are successful, one of the MixFM stations will call you with the good news.
To help you with your idea's here are a few handy hints:
Keep in mind, the airline will operate flights between Australia and the United States to begin with but may one day also fly to other overseas destinations around the world and will be based in Australia and be majority Australian owned.
- doesn't necessarily have to include the words 'Virgin' or 'Blue'
- should stand out from the crowd in the USA and Australia
- should raise curiosity
- could be Australian, Aussie or simply might look great on the side of a plane
- could sound great as in "I'm flying downunder on ......" "I'm flying to the States on ...."
- should fit well with Virgin Blue and everything we stand for.
Feeling inspired, here's how the competition will work? To enter you need to be 18 years or older and an Australian resident. Complete the entry form below and tell us in 25 words or less your suggestion and why you think it's just right to fly the skies and represent Australia, Virgin Blue and all the things we stand for... You may only send us one entry but we will give you the opportunity to provide us with up to 10 names on that entry. Submitting the entry form more than once or trying to provide us with more than 10 names in your entry will invalidate your entry.
The competition will close at 12pm AEST on 15 June 2007. We will select 16 semi-finalists and from 18 June 2007 to 21 June 2007, each semi-finalist will be called by one of the MixFM radio stations (Mix106.5, Mix 101.1, Mix 102.3 or 97.3FM).
On 22 June 2007, we will select eight of the 16 semi finalists as finalists. As a finalist you must be able to join us for the announcement of the winner in Sydney on 26 July 2007. For those finalists not from NSW/ACT, Virgin Blue will provide a return airfare for each finalist and their companion from their nearest Virgin Blue port to Sydney to attend the announcement event. We will also provide one night's accommodation.
If you are one of the eight lucky finalists we have fabulous prizes on offer. The overall winner of the competition will receive two return economy airfares each year for five years from the winner's nearest Australian capital city to an international destination serviced by Pacific Blue, Polynesian Blue or Virgin Blue's new international airline. The other finalists will receive two return economy airfares from their nearest Australian capital city to another Australian capital city of their choice flying Virgin Blue.
I bet you are feeling creative now! But before you enter there is some important information we need to tell you:
Happy naming! Submit your entry HERE.
- Entry into the competition is subject to the terms of entry which can be viewed below.
- You must provide a valid email address and daytime telephone number with your entry so that we can contact you if you are selected.
- If you are selected as one of the finalists but we cannot contact you by 12pm AEST on 20 July 2007 or you can't make it to the announcement event in Sydney on 26 July 2007 then unfortunately you will forfeit receiving any prize for your entry.
- The prizes for the winning entry and the other finalists are for airfares only. Accommodation costs, spending money, transfer costs etc will be the responsibility of the entrant. If you are the winning entrant you will also be responsible for all international travel documentation such as passports and visas. For further details see the terms of entry.
- By submitting your entry, you warrant that the entry is your own work. You also warrant that your entry does not infringe the rights of any third party, and you agree to indemnify Virgin Blue against all costs and claims by third parties arising from a breach of this warrant.
- While we will select a winning entry we may not use the selected name as the name of the airline or as the name of an aircraft. This decision depends on many factors and will be at our discretion.
- Finally travel on our new international airline will be subject to us obtaining all regulatory approvals to fly.