Virgin Blue's 'Name the Airline' Competition

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by stuartfaz, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. stuartfaz

stuartfaz Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    MEL
    from Virgin Blue > Name a Plane? Name an Airline? Competition - Discount Fares Every Weekday Between 12 and 1

2. Tiki

Tiki Member

Jul 21, 2004
    BNE
    I'll be in the Pantanal, Brazil on 26 July so I guess that's a bit far to go to claim a prize if I won! :rolleyes:

3. stuartfaz

stuartfaz Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    MEL
    ...now I've heard that Virgin Blue aren't actually allowed to use the 'Virgin' name for this airline, because the Virgin group themselves don't have any stake in it.

Just something to take into consideration.

4. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    i thought it was beacuse they don't have the rights for the Virgin name flying outside australia (hence pacific blue)... i thought Singapore airlines owned Virgin Atlantic owned those rights?

regardless must be annoying for DJ to have all these different names not to mention confusing (although does pacific blue even exist anymore?)

5. alien

alien Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    its a pity VB aren't giving away a bigger prize considering your giving them a compnay name to use.

Why not free first calss travel for a year?

6. N860CR

N860CR Established Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    Singapore Airlines have a 49% share in Virgin Atlantic and, through that, don't allow the use of the Virgin name on DJ's International services.

Yes, still running to an ever expanding number of Pacific destinations. I returned from CHC with them on Tuesday.

7. stuartfaz

stuartfaz Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    MEL
    The prize is similar to what DJ gave to the guy who came up with the name 'Virgin Blue', although I think that was 2 free flights a year for life.

Also, I'm led to believe that DJ's U.S. services will have a 2-class configuration, and, given the amount you're allowed to spend over the 5 years:

that could equate to free first class travel for 5 years :p

I wasn't aware of that. Makes sense though. You'd think that DJ would jump at the chance to use the 'Virgin' moniker every chance they could.

8. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Hmm, Why don't they just call it VB Airlines (or are they stuck cause some brewery uses thos initials on one of its products)

9. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    That is possibly the worst possible prize I have ever heard of.

I hadnt realised that they were expecting to open up the SYD-LAX route? I thought that the govt had blocked that - or is that just to foreign owned airlines?

10. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    There is an open skies policy between US & Aust for US and Oz Airlines. That is how JQ was easily able to commence it HNL services. And how any other US or Australian airline can fly these routes.

USA however does not allow QF to sell US domestic tickets (e.g. LAX-JFK) on thier own, but they can sell US-<other country> separately (e.g.SFO-YVR).

11. codash1099

codash1099 Established Member

Aug 2, 2006
    PER
    So what's the result? Virgin have been trumpeting that they would be announcing the result on their web site on June 27 but nothing so far.

12. stuartfaz

stuartfaz Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    MEL
    The winner is announced July 26. At least that's what they said in the terms and conditions.

By now they would've picked the 8 finalists. That gives them a month to draw up preliminary advertising, livery and whatnot for the launch on July 26.

13. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    This really has tobe one of the cheapest competitions I have ever seen - zero cost to DJ - just a marketing opportunity...

14. N860CR

N860CR Established Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    Isn't that pretty much the point of a competition?

15. codash1099

codash1099 Established Member

Aug 2, 2006
    PER
    Yeah, my error. I misread the announcement date. Yet another Senior's Moment - coming thick and fast :oops:

16. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Yes - but in most cases there is a valuable prize attached rather then just "Yoik - we will save that cost of a design consultant for the name"

17. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    But think of the poor employee's who had to wade through "wewilllgetyouthere air" or "WeFlyYouFly" and "GdayMate Airlines" and ....

After that type of mental and physical torture, I'd be needing a holiday somewhere!

18. stuartfaz

stuartfaz Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    MEL
    The finalists have already won a trip to Sydney for the launch (big whoop)

The 7 losing finalists get one free return trip anywhere on the Virgin Blue network. The winner gets 2 return trips a year for 5 years anywhere on the Virgin Blue, Pacific Blue, Polynesian Blue or Whatever-theyre-calling-the-new-airline-thats-going-to-the-US networks, up to a value of $21,500.

Not a bad prize :p

19. stuartfaz

stuartfaz Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    MEL
    Agreed Mal, there'd be a flood of terrible suggestions that some poor sap at DJ would have to wade through.

For example, my (losing) entry into the competition was red. Seeing as the can't use 'Virgin' (due to Singapore Airlines), and probably wouldn't use 'Blue' (due to jetBlue) I went for the opposite. I thought it sounded catchy.

But alas...:(

:p

20. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Aaah, but 'red' immediately brings up images of blood, or red ink (ie losses). That kind of negative imagery doesn't help. 'Blue' avoids that by being a friendly colour (eg Blue Sky or Blue ocean etc) - just don't mention "Blue Movie Air" :D

Naming a company is such a fun task. Hope they choose a good name - nothing dopey. I am counting on them to give me cheap airfares (on Qantas :D) to the U.S :D