Upgrades out of HK | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Upgrades out of HK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightwatchman

Just new to the forum - looks interesting with many tips and much advice to check out.

One immediate questionnaire I have relates to the likelihood of getting an upgrade on a Hong Kong to Sydney flight (QF128 to be precise) for myself and Mrs Nightwatchman.

I'm a Platinum FF which seems to count in my favour, but is anyone able to offer an opinion as to the likelihood of successdfully using points to upgrade on this sector?

Thanks.

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
To give you a proper answer, it would depend on the actual flights involved (ie. Which date?).

As a Plat, you're in the front portion of the queue which helps (Only Chairman's Lounge and Plats who requested an upgrade are in front of you).

But yeah, it does depend on what date you're flying really. No seats free in Business class does kinda impede your chance of an upgrade.

QF WP

Flights
My Map
Points upgrades on International sectors are done via registering within the 90 day window, either via QF Reservations or online.

As Mal pointed out, as you are a Plat member, irrespective of when you register, you are in the queue only behind Chairman's Club and other Plat members who registered before you.

Nightwatchman

Thanks for this.

This flight is not until late September, so too soon to even register for an upgrade.

I noticed in some other threads, references to monitoring how many seats are available in different fair types within business class, and even checking seating plans for available seats - how does one going about checking this stuff?

Last edited:

Kiwi Flyer

Welcome to AFF Nightwatchman :)

There are a number of availability tools - some free and some require subscription.

The main subscription services used by regulars here seems to be KVS, Expert Flyer and AFF's own Frequent Flyer Friend (award availability on QF and UA only I believe).

Nightwatchman

Cheers.

I had a quick look back through previous thread to see if there has been much discussion as to which of these tools are considered the best, but couldn't see anything.

Has anyone any recommendations (given I am a QF FF)?

Dave Noble

I use Expert Flyer and find it very good; also , since it is web based, I can access it from any PC rather than needing an app installled

Dave

aus_flyer

Established Member
I agree with Dave.
Expertflyer is money well spent.
I subscribe to the premium level, which gives access to fare information as well - and this is a very valuable feature that can certainly help save a few $$ !

NM

Flights
My Map
I certainly got value from my ExpertFlyer membership on my last DONE4 itinerary.

There are some things you can to improve your points upgrade chances. The first is to plan well ahead and get onto the waitlist as early as possible. The next is to plan to travel mid-week. Flights departing HKG on a Friday evening are going to be full of paying passengers, while a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday are less likely to be full of business travellers.

My QF30 HKG-MEL flight last week was upgraded using Upgrade Credits. The upgrade was still showing as "waitlisted" on the QF FF web site about 24 hours out, but the UCs had been removed from my account, so I knew it has been successfully cleared. CheckMyTrip was also showing the business class seat had been cancelled and First Class was showing confirmed about 24 hours before the flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea9