Transit Time - MEL-SIN-HKT | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Transit Time - MEL-SIN-HKT

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFTravel

Intern
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
64
Thought there was a thread about Transit time but can't seem to find it.

I am currently looking at completing the following flights;

Saturday 26th November
0.50am Depart MELBOURNE on flight SQ218 Business Class (Singapore Airlines)
5.35am Arrive SINGAPORE

7.05am Depart SINGAPORE on flight JQ517 Economy Class (JetstarAsia)
7.45am Arrive PHUKET

There is a 90 minute transit period. Is this long enough so that I make the Jetstar connection? My Travel Agent believes so - but then I thought remember reading on here some members think maybe not?
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
I presume these are on separate tickets.

If nothing goes wrong then 90 minutes should be long enough, but wouldnt take much to misconnect.

1) Probably wont be able to check bags through. So on arrival on SQ need to clear immigration and pick up bags.

2) Jetstar leaves from different terminal. If have checked bags (see point #1 above) then have a landside transfer - walk or taxi, then immigration again after checked in. If only carry-ons then can connect airside (either skytrain or walk along the "E" pier). I presume that can check-in at transfer desk in terminal 1.

3) When does check-in for Jetstar close? Is it 30 minutes? 60 minutes?

4) What are the chances that SQ arrives on time (or close to it)? Probably quite good given the turnaround time at MEL, time of departure from MEL and less connecting pax arriving from elsewhere.
 

QFTravel

Intern
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
64
Kiwi Flyer said:
I presume these are on separate tickets.

If nothing goes wrong then 90 minutes should be long enough, but wouldnt take much to misconnect.

1) Probably wont be able to check bags through. So on arrival on SQ need to clear immigration and pick up bags.

2) Jetstar leaves from different terminal. If have checked bags (see point #1 above) then have a landside transfer - walk or taxi, then immigration again after checked in. If only carry-ons then can connect airside (either skytrain or walk along the "E" pier). I presume that can check-in at transfer desk in terminal 1.

3) When does check-in for Jetstar close? Is it 30 minutes? 60 minutes?

4) What are the chances that SQ arrives on time (or close to it)? Probably quite good given the turnaround time at MEL, time of departure from MEL and less connecting pax arriving from elsewhere.
Yes, they would be seperate tickets.

1) Yes I would be checking bags

2) This is bad news - Jetstar fly from Changi Airport Terminal 1 and Singapore Airlines fly from Terminal 2.

3) From the Jetstar website;

To reach your destination on time, the plane must leave on schedule. So our check-in opens 2 hours prior to departure and closes 40 minutes before take-off. Do allow sufficient time to travel to the airport and check in. To be on the safe side, we recommend you get to the airport at least 2 hours before departure. After all, we do not want you to miss your flight.

In the unlikely event that you arrive after the check-in has closed, you will not be able to board the plane and will automatically forfeit the cost of the fare. No refunds or transfers are available, so please be on time.
Which means I have 50 minutes.

4) This is good news
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,102
QFTravel said:
2) This is bad news - Jetstar fly from Changi Airport Terminal 1 and Singapore Airlines fly from Terminal 2.
FWIW Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are not that far away. Only ~2 minute trip with skytrain but does not open until 6:30 am. Depending on where you are the walk maybe ~25 minutes.

I know you have separate tickets but if you can somehow check the bags through this would be great. I was able to check bags through from SQ113 (from KL) to QF006 and vice versa. Not sure about SQ and JQ arrangements though.
 

QFTravel

Intern
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
64
Thankyou for your comments Kiwi Flyer and JohnK. You both have pointed out some particulars I had not considered. :D

I spoke with Singapore Airlines and they do have a relationship with JetstarAsia - so yes I will be able to check the bags right through to Phuket. That should save some very precious time and mean I can transfer airside as well. :D :D

The consultant also agreed that the 50 minute window should be enough for transit between Terminal 1 and 2 given that "our flights generally run earlier than scheduled or on time".
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
QFTravel said:
The consultant also agreed that the 50 minute window should be enough for transit between Terminal 1 and 2 given that "our flights generally run earlier than scheduled or on time".
With checked bags through then should be fine, especially if they can also issue your onward boarding pass in MEL. In my experience of SQ longhaul - 50% arrive early more than 15 minutes before scheduled time, 35% within 15 minutes either side of scheduled time, 15% more than 15 minutes late of scheduled time. More likely to be close to scheduled arrival for westbound flights than eastbound flights (which more likely to be ahead of schedule with strong tailwinds).

Worst case the SQ arrival gate is F60 and JQ leaves from far end of C - will take 20-30 minutes to walk depending how fast you walk (could save a couple of minutes with the airtrain). Best case gates could be right next to one another (E28 for SQ, D something for JQ).

Enjoy your flights.
 

QFTravel

Intern
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
64
Thanks Kiwi Flyer :D

Will be prepared to sprint from one gate to the other to make the flights if need be. :D
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
The flight path channel (#99) will show the arrival gate so you can prepare mentally for fast exit. Try to get seat in row 11 if 777 (bulkhead row) or row 22 if 747 (main deck bulkhead row) for fast getaway.

Gates E20 to E28 are closest to terminal 1 (couple of minutes walk). E1 to E12 are fairly close also. F is farther away (at least 15 minutes walk), with F40 to 48 and F56 to F60 the very farthest gates.
 

tuapekastar

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 16, 2005
Messages
4,315
Flights
My Map
QFTravel, while it sounds like a remote possibility, it may be worth doing a little contingency planning in case the "unthinkable" happens and you are too late to connect :cry: . I'm sure that won't be the case but it would be easier to do a little planning now rather than at Changi.

Cheers
 

QFTravel

Intern
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
64
Kiwi Flyer said:
BTW the airport code for Phuket is HKT not PHU.
:shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock:

I must pay more attention to what I read and post correctly next time! Would have really missed the connection then :wink:

Tuapekastar, thought about that and noted that the next flight is at 8.50am flying Silk Air.
 

QFTravel

Intern
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
64
Well today SQ218 was 14 minutes early and yesterday 12 minutes early so hopefully they keep up the good form.

JQ517 departed 20 minutes late yesterday so hopefully they keep up the good form as well...
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
QFTravel said:
Tuapekastar, thought about that and noted that the next flight is at 8.50am flying Silk Air.
I'd be inclined to take that. You'd definitely be able to check through for that (Silk Air is fully owned by Singapore), and it leaves from the same terminal as you arrive in.

There's plenty to do in Changi in the 2 1/2 hours before boarding for the onward flight. You may even be able to talk your way into Premier lounge (due to flying SQ in business on the way in). If flying Silk Air in business then definitely have access to Premier lounge. This is quite nice and is next to the SQ lounge.
 

QFTravel

Intern
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
64
Thanks for the advice Kiwi. But I have decided to keep the Jetstar flight. I would rather spend time on the beach in Phuket than in an airport lounge :)
 

QFTravel

Intern
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
64
Kiwi Flyer said:
QFTravel - did you make your connection okay?
Hi Kiwi Flyer, I arrived back home yesterday. I did make the flight yes - but by the skin of my teeth. On departure I requested that my bags be checked right through to HKT and I was told I could pick up a boarding pass at one of the Transit Areas on Arrival. Plenty of time it seemed.

I checked with one of the FA's on the plane on where to go on arrival so I didn't waste any time. She pointed out however that as JQ is a budget airline they do not have the same relationships with other airlines and that I had to go through immigration, pick up my bags, go upstairs, check-in, then go through immigration once more. As JQ wouldn't pick up my bags from SQ that I had requested be forwarded on. Luckily the flight landed 15 minutes early than advertised so I had some extra time. Which was well used waiting to check-in.

After going through the process :shock: :shock: I walked onto the plane 10 minutes before they closed the door. At little too stressed than I had anticipated. :? :?
 

tuapekastar

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 16, 2005
Messages
4,315
Flights
My Map
Pleased you made your connection QFTravel, even if things got a little hairy for a while. A shame you got dud info from SQ originally, could have mucked you around somewhat had your SQ flight not landed early. Thanks for posting the outcome - another bit of info someone may benefit from in future.
 

clifford

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
1,776
QFTravel said:
Kiwi Flyer said:
QFTravel - did you make your connection okay?
Hi Kiwi Flyer, I arrived back home yesterday. I did make the flight yes - but by the skin of my teeth. On departure I requested that my bags be checked right through to HKT and I was told I could pick up a boarding pass at one of the Transit Areas on Arrival. Plenty of time it seemed.

I checked with one of the FA's on the plane on where to go on arrival so I didn't waste any time. She pointed out however that as JQ is a budget airline they do not have the same relationships with other airlines and that I had to go through immigration, pick up my bags, go upstairs, check-in, then go through immigration once more. As JQ wouldn't pick up my bags from SQ that I had requested be forwarded on. Luckily the flight landed 15 minutes early than advertised so I had some extra time. Which was well used waiting to check-in.

After going through the process :shock: :shock: I walked onto the plane 10 minutes before they closed the door. At little too stressed than I had anticipated. :? :?
Hi QFTravel,

I just had a similar experience to you (although I knew it was coming).

Last week I had to connect from UA to TR (a "non-network" carrier) flying to HKT, and like you, I had to go through Immigration to check in and then clear immigration again to catch my flight. No dramas, but a bit of a pain in the ass though.

The Aussie "gurus" need to be aware of this.

:)
 

QFTravel

Intern
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
64
Yes - I was informed that it only happens when you fly a budget airline (eg JQ, TR and Silk?) . Next time I'll know to add in an extra hour to make the transit easier.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,265
Messages
1,873,924
Members
49,119
Latest member
stucoran
Top