The Velocity Status Run Master thread

ADL-MEL-CBR fro $434 which nets 330SC’s.
Just booked that as a return trip to visit my parents
Don‘t need the SC’s but was surprised the price was still so cheap
Now that’s getting closer to my needs ($ / SCs and sectors) but a SR involving CBR in winter sends shivers down my spine. I had a disaster years ago on a QF JASA CBR-SYD-ADL (ret) - started with frozen fog…

Odd thing, these fares weren’t showing on ITA matrix but I was able to see similar fares direct on VA.

Now that’s getting closer to my needs ($ / SCs and sectors) but a SR involving CBR in winter sends shivers down my spine. I had a disaster years ago on a QF JASA CBR-SYD-ADL (ret) - started with frozen fog…

Odd thing, these fares weren’t showing on ITA matrix but I was able to see similar fares direct on VA.
The CBR fares from ADL are due to a sales period that starts July 18th. And I saved a bit more booking via the Business portal

The CBR fares from ADL are due to a sales period that starts July 18th. And I saved a bit more booking via the Business portal
Kicking myself I didn’t start in the Biz portal. Anyway, bit the bullet and have booked SYD-MEL-OOL-MEL-SYD mix’n match J and Choice should provide ample SCs and sufficient sectors to easily regain Gold 🤞.

Last edited:
Hi AFF Team,

Hoping someone might have suggestions for a status run from Sydney and return in one day. Trying to reach 190sc.

I did look look at SYD-CNS stop BNE and return $1400 in J 270sc

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Last edited:
Hi AFF Team,

Hoping someone might have suggestions for a status run from Sydney and return in one day. Trying to reach 190sc.

Thanks in advance.

Neil
Try ADE via MEL with those as combinations?

Hi AFF Team,

Thanks in advance.

Neil
If you booked last week during the triple SC promo you could've just flew SYD-BNE/MEL or anywhere on the cheap in J for 330SC. Even return in Y. Pity the promo had concluded.

I am keen to know the best status runs for VA given there is a DSC opportunity at present. I need to earn 232 points prior to 22 September to remain GOLD.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I am keen to know the best status runs for VA given there is a DSC opportunity at present. I need to earn 232 points prior to 22 September to remain GOLD.

It's very how much one is willing to spend and $ per SC.
Where your journey starts, day return, over a weekend, midweek, travelling with a pooling partner.
How many sectors you still require.

Very open ended question.

It's very how much one is willing to spend and $ per SC.
Where your journey starts, day return, over a weekend, midweek, travelling with a pooling partner.
How many sectors you still require.

Very open ended question.
Also where you are based?

MEL<->OOL is very popular at the moment for those of us flying on the TSC offer.

"Where your journey starts."

That's me MEL>OOL next week.
I o/n’d in downtown OOL at the Sebel/Mantra Monday night, not realising the Airport bus picks up and drops off right out the front!

But I managed to get the bus back the next day (even though I don’t have a Gold card and the buses don’t do tap payments 😉). Uber were relatively expensive for the distance (and potentially long waits). Didi was a “fail”.

Standing room only in the OOL VA lounge (with school hols).

Hello folks. I am a Virgin Gold, and I need 345 more SC to achieve Platinum by 24 Oct.

Have always been happy with Gold but I am flying to Tokyo on SQ next year and the idea of Economy X on every flight is VERY appealing.

Almost every flight I take is with a family member and we pool points. I'm based in Launceston. Wondering if I should give it a crack, if there is any hope of a double SC promo between now and late Oct, given the 3x promo happened in June. Thoughts on how I might pull this off? We could fly from LST or HBT.

Any suggestions for the cheapest/easiest way to get 4x eligible sectors out of SYD in the next 3 weeks?

I already have more than enough SCs to retain platinum, but only 4 eligible sectors. Most were done on QR flight numbers so didn’t count… I expected to do domestic trips on VA metal recently, but they ended up not happening, oops.

Wondering if I can do better than 2x SYD-OOL return for $89/sector in Choice = $356?

Any suggestions for the cheapest/easiest way to get 4x eligible sectors out of SYD in the next 3 weeks?

I already have more than enough SCs to retain platinum, but only 4 eligible sectors. Most were done on QR flight numbers so didn’t count… I expected to do domestic trips on VA metal recently, but they ended up not happening, oops.

Wondering if I can do better than 2x SYD-OOL return for $89/sector in Choice = $356?
You could look at something like SYD-MEL-HBA return Lite which can be done for $348 and all in one trip
SYD-MEL-LST also for $340

Contemplating whether it'll be worth retaining SG on VA given I'm likely fly a lot less in the next 1-2 years (and I already have enough status on QFF side). But if I end up preferring VA SG, I'll need 210 SC by Christmas.
--> What might be some decent cost-effective ideas ex-SYD either domestic or to NZ? It'd be long weekend trips any time Sep-Dec and I happily avoid school holidays.

One option is to attend the AFF BNE catchup in October as a status run. What could that look like?

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back