Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

The Big DONE4 Planning thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
Hi all
My big trip is coming up soon with what I consider to be a pretty massive itinerary (for someone who had never flown international J before last July) as below:

Code:
Date	Origin	Dest	Class
17-Mar	SYD	HKG	Bus
17-Mar	HKG	LAX	Bus
17-Mar	LAX	MIA	First
17-Mar	MIA	MCO	First
21-Mar	MCO	LGA	First
24-Mar	LGA	ORD	First
24-Mar	ORD	LGA	First
29-Mar	JFK	BGI	Bus
29-Mar	BGI	LGW	Bus
31-Mar	LGW	PFO	Bus
03-Apr	LCA	LHR	Bus
03-Apr	LHR	HKG	Bus
04-Apr	HKG	SYD	Bus

I am AA Plat and QF SG so I am semi sorted for lounge access (no F lounge at HKG :(). I have a few questions which I would really appreciate some input/suggestions on how best to experience this trip. Questions around interlining baggage/expectatios of check in with multiple multiple flights in a few days etc.

My first question is really seeking advice on the first trip - SYD-HKG-LAX-MIA-MCO. I have allocated seats on all flights:

Code:
17-Mar	SYD	HKG	Bus	A330	14H
17-Mar	HKG	LAX	Bus	744	86A
17-Mar	LAX	MIA	First	757	2B
17-Mar	MIA	MCO	First	Airbus	2H

My first flight is 8:30AM out of SYD. I have a 3 hour layover in HKG (off to the Wing for teh first time - only ever been to the Pier), a nine hour layover in LAX and 2 hours at MIA. As a general question I wouldn't mind suggestions on maximising personal comfort and hygiene :oops: I am aiming to grab a shower at HKG and LAX thus reckon I need a couple of changes of clothes and am in fact tempted to take a set of F class PJs from a prior flight with me for the HKG-LAX trip as that will in theory be my nignt time and time for a sleep - would seem a little sad - to be travelling in J and wearing the PJs?

Its a lot of flying - 28 hours flying in 40 hours and I am really wondering how I can make sure that at the end I dont look like I have been sleeping rough for two days. A little disappointed with the lack of booze I will be able to consume in flight as the flights are overnight or morning flights...

I will have a couple more questions to come but I thought I would start with making sure that simongr doesnt become stinkygr first :)

S
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,244
Solutions
5
Points
3,275
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Pack those F PJ's and use em ... assuming AA6120/CX880, you leave late Saturday Night and arrive Saturday evening.

Just try to ensure your other clothes are capable of being folded, stored and worn again without looking too creased/crushed.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
Actually CX110 followed by CX882 - arrive HKG 3PM and leave at 4:30 (hmm that isnt 3 hours ;)) and then arrive 2PM into LAX (longest Saturday of my life since my wedding ;))
 

Skyring

Established Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2005
Messages
2,790
Points
10
Qantas
LT Silver
Hmmm. Only 13 flights. Sure you can't start a day or two earlier and use Hong Kong as a base to make a few Asian flights? A few long sectors in J on CX are pretty easy to take! I did a DONE4 last year and got in a side trip to Osaka and back, in between night flights SYD-HKG and HKG-FRA.

I'd also be looking at adding in a couple of Australian sectors. You've got a year to complete the trip, so you could maybe do SYD-CBR-PER-SYD one leisurely weekend.
 
Credit cards which earn frequent flyer points is a popular way to earn frequent flyer points. You can receive thousands of points on everyday spend. And, many of these cards offer generous signup bonuses! Compare to find the credit card that best suits your needs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
I have a SYD-BNE-SYD weekend trip at the end - a few days after landing back in Oz. I considered the extra 2 asian trips but we have just bought a new house and barely moved in and dont want to be away too long. It would also mean taking more time off work (eating into available annual leave with mrssimongr) and I am already pushing it. Finally the end of the trip is running into the school holidays mrssimongr is a teacher) so need to be home for that.

I also have potentially 3 more DONE4 this year plus 4 trips to Asia so I am kind of sorted for flights ;)
 

alect

Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
352
Points
10
simongr said:
...and am in fact tempted to take a set of F class PJs from a prior flight with me for the HKG-LAX trip as that will in theory be my nignt time and time for a sleep - would seem a little sad - to be travelling in J and wearing the PJs?

take 'em and use 'em - not sad at all.

A little disappointed with the lack of booze I will be able to consume in flight as the flights are overnight or morning flights...

With this amount of travel and this many time zones, the concept of "overnight" and "morning" tends to disappear - ergo shouldn't limit your ability to booze as you please.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
My motto, as readers of my trip reports may recall, is to shower whenever you get the chance.

Indeed I have just rerouted part of an upcoming trip as I faced 36 hours of flying with no opportunity to use showers en route. I now have 4 extra hours flying but long enough in transit in LAX that I can use showers there.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,244
Solutions
5
Points
3,275
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
alect said:
... With this amount of travel and this many time zones, the concept of "overnight" and "morning" tends to disappear - ergo shouldn't limit your ability to booze as you please.
Very true, when travelling around the world, the sun has always "just passed over the Yard Arm" at some point in your itinerary. :) ;) :p :cool:
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Between time at departure airport, time at arrival airport, time at home, time body clock thinks it is, at least one will be suitable ;)
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
Biggest challenge will be at LAX - 7 hours with nothing to do but drink and snooze... I will be surprised if they let me on the next flight...
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,244
Solutions
5
Points
3,275
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
I hadnt thought about TBIT - its quite unpleasant isnt it? I assume my baggage will be interlined (subject of course to picking it up to go through customs after immigration). So I will just have my laptop bag and amenity kits (plus some ziplock bags ;))

I reckon an hour to get thropugh immigration and get baggage, wander round TBIT and then get myself over to T4, wander round there and then go to the AC.

Just a shame that at the moment I havent been able to find any other AFFers travelling at the same time...
 

Shano

Established Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,244
Points
10
Yes, TBIT is quite horrid. T4 has somewhat better facilities but is usually very crowded with queues to restaraunts not uncommon. Pity you aren't WP as the FL is probably the best chance for some peace and quiet as even the AC get pretty full.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,333
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Shano said:
Yes, TBIT is quite horrid.
As simongr is only arriving at TBIT, I would disagree with the horrid imposition. In my view, its not much of a place for departures, especially at the moment with the temp lounge arrangement. But for arrivals its not too bad and really depends on how many other flights happen to coincide with your arrival. As an arriving passenger, he has no access to the departures areas anyway and will just clear immigration and customs and then bags will be deposited for AA flight to MIA. Then head over to T4 to make use of the better departures facilities.
Shano said:
T4 has somewhat better facilities but is usually very crowded with queues to restaraunts not uncommon. Pity you aren't WP as the FL is probably the best chance for some peace and quiet as even the AC get pretty full.
Indeed, the T4 departures area is way better than TBI. But as simongr will only have AC access and not FLounge, he is going to have to keep asking for drinks vouchers and tipping the bartender :evil: .
 

Shano

Established Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,244
Points
10
NM said:
As simongr is only arriving at TBIT, I would disagree with the horrid imposition. In my view, its not much of a place for departures, especially at the moment with the temp lounge arrangement. But for arrivals its not too bad and really depends on how many other flights happen to coincide with your arrival. As an arriving passenger, he has no access to the departures areas anyway and will just clear immigration and customs and then bags will be deposited for AA flight to MIA. Then head over to T4 to make use of the better departures facilities

My comment was more in relation to departures which, as you have stated, will not apply to simongr.

Although getting caught in the immigration queue with passengers from three or four other 744's is a tad frustrating.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,244
Solutions
5
Points
3,275
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
OK, the OP exits TBIT into the world of LAX landside.

Sometime later simongr needs to enter T4 for a visit to the AC followed by his flight to MIA.

It's what happens in the 4-5 hour interem ...
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,333
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Shano said:
[/B]Although getting caught in the immigration queue with passengers from three or four other 744's is a tad frustrating.
Indeed it can be, and unlikely to happen at T4 international arrivals. But I have has just as many arrivals into TBIT where the arrivals hall has been very quiet as I have had occasions where congestion and confusion reign. TBIT arrivals around 8-10am are usually the worst in my experience.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
NM said:
Indeed, the T4 departures area is way better than TBI. But as simongr will only have AC access and not FLounge, he is going to have to keep asking for drinks vouchers and tipping the bartender :evil: .

You know I should try and remember to do that - its just not natural to tip for a free drink for me and I never think about it...I will end up pay about $1.50 for a free drink :/
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,244
Solutions
5
Points
3,275
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Re: Tipping at A/C; it is optional. Sometimes they seem suprised when an Aussie does so, but always appear grateful.

Funnily enough, the drink vouchers are made of a thickish paper that has almost exactly the same dimensions as a USD1 note.
 
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
234
Points
0
NM said:
Indeed it can be, and unlikely to happen at T4 international arrivals. But I have has just as many arrivals into TBIT where the arrivals hall has been very quiet as I have had occasions where congestion and confusion reign. TBIT arrivals around 8-10am are usually the worst in my experience.

I second that motion. Last time I went through, there was (from memory) 3 other arrivals at about the same time. I was feeling quite chuffed at being one of the first off for a change and then turned the corner into a mass of (about 1000?) people. The 'queue' behind me went back out the door.

I've never had a non-morning arrival at LAX TBIT, so all my experiences are 'horrid'.
Then there are the departures...

mt
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,605
Messages
2,100,168
Members
53,913
Latest member
Dollyslash
Top