Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

The BER debacle continues

Berlin

Established Member
“Teh-gel” is the correct pronunciation but with a German open vowel “e” (like the “e”s in “Lederhosen”) and a hard “g” (so not like in English “gel” which sounds more like a “j” to me as a mother tongued German).

I am realising that it’s not that easy to explain :oops: “Taygel” however, definitely sounds to me like an American pronouncing it.

Berlin

Established Member

flyingfan

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Guess what?

The 31 October 2020 opening date for BER has been cancelled due to coronavirus! (Apparently some of the construction/auditing staff caught it, so they've had to leave the building site.)

I haven't checked to see if this article saying that Oct 31 is going ahead can be corroborated, but what bad luck for BER to finally be open in these times...

Berlin

Established Member
I haven't checked to see if this article saying that Oct 31 is going ahead can be corroborated, but what bad luck for BER to finally be open in these times...

Pretty lame article, date hasn't been changed (yet) so all it's talking about is the fact that the new airport will have to struggle with low passenger numbers due to the Covid crisis (like pretty much any other airport around the world apart, ironically, in China from where the Virus has originated from).

Reads to me as if the Brits are having one last hard laugh of Schadenfreude at the Germans before the tables will be turned very quickly once Brexit finally hits properly :p

moa999

Enthusiast
Solutions
It's strange that not much has leaked about lounges on open.

daft009

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Quote from someone i know who has lived in Berlin all his life.....

The timing for the opening of the BER is perfect. Under corona conditions the airport is now in the right size. Under normal conditions it would be already too small

The Qantas Premier Platinum Card delivers up to 100k Qantas Points, 75 bonus Status Credits, complimentary lounge invitations and travel insurance. All this with a reduced first-year annual fee of $199.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike Okkerts