The BER debacle continues | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

The BER debacle continues

OZDUCK

Established Member
Flights
My Map
I believe it when it really opens. Too many delays yet. It is just a national disgrace.
There have been quite a few "fails" in major construction work in Germany over the last few years. For example the Hamburg Elbphilharmonie concert hall - 700 Million Euro over budget and finished six years behind schedule. At least it is apparently now a superb venue.

Then there is the Stuttgart 21 rail construction. It is now expected to be finished 8 years behind schedule and a mere 3.5 Billion Euros over budget. And as usual, it seems to be the involvement of politicians that cause the problems. Of course, very few countries can afford to cast the first stone.

Berlin

Established Member
At least Schönefeld is the same airfield as BER?
Yep. But unfortunately less convenient than Tegel and not exactly of “the newest standard”.

It’s a Soviet-area turned LCC airport in essence. And fine for that but certainly not a ‘proper’ International airport. But neither is TXL :rolleyes:

Jmrocky

Intern
Qantas
Bronze
Flights
My Map
There have been quite a few "fails" in major construction work in Germany over the last few years. For example the Hamburg Elbphilharmonie concert hall - 700 Million Euro over budget and finished six years behind schedule. At least it is apparently now a superb venue.

Then there is the Stuttgart 21 rail construction. It is now expected to be finished 8 years behind schedule and a mere 3.5 Billion Euros over budget. And as usual, it seems to be the involvement of politicians that cause the problems. Of course, very few countries can afford to cast the first stone.

The old man (born in Germany, still catches up with German news services) tells me that it's widely reported there is a shortage of skilled construction workers (professionals and trades) in Germany at the moment. Makes sense considering the history with Brandenburg, I had a flight 8 years ago that was scheduled there from FCO and went to Schonefeld instead

Mattg

Flights
My Map
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
I'd love to go and volunteer, but it'd just be too embarrassing to get to Berlin. I still remember flying out of TXL 6 years ago and saying to my partner: "Have a good look around this donut, because this is the last time we ever fly through here!"

Himeno

Established Member
I'd love to go and volunteer, but it'd just be too embarrassing to get to Berlin. I still remember flying out of TXL 6 years ago and saying to my partner: "Have a good look around this donut, because this is the last time we ever fly through here!"
Fly to Hamburg and get the train to Berlin?
Or just fly into SXF.

JessicaTam

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map

Community Statistics

Threads
Members