Taking out travel insurance while already overseas?

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by Fifa, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Fifa

Fifa Established Member

Sep 17, 2006
    NSW
    I have been lurking for quite some time and have benefited from your advice on a number of occasions. Thanks to all the members for passing on invaluable recommendations and information.

My son is currently overseas on an agricultural youth exchange program and will be staying on in Europe afterwards for 6 weeks. His included travel insurance will expire when he finishes work and is quite expensive to extend.

I have contacted numerous travel insurance companies, but they will not insure him unless he departs from Australia. Does anyone know of an insurance company which would provide coverage once he finishes work in Europe?

2. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    He's probably stuck with getting insurance as a foreign traveller from a european insurer, or paying the high fee to extend his existing insurance.

Another australian insurer is unlikely to offer new insurance to someone already overseas, at least not without a hefty surcharge (or restrictions in cover).

3. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
  4. ColinP

ColinP Member

May 1, 2006
    Adelaide
    World Nomads Is cheap and cheerful 'backpacker' insurance but they will insure you if you are already overseas.
    Travel Insurance from World Nomads

------------------------

5. Fifa

Fifa Established Member

Sep 17, 2006
    NSW
    Thank you everyone - I was beginning to despair.
    These policies are all cheaper than what my son was quoted by the existing (compulsory) Danish insurer and provide far superior benefits.